Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2018 MLB Postseason Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
423 replies to this topic

#421 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,145 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:19 AM

I didn't say they were crap. They just aren't good.

And yet, by playing the soft NL, they were leading a division with the Dodgers for most of the season. As soon as they stopped playing patsies like they did the first four months, they got exposed.

That's sorta my point - outside of a handful of teams in the NL (none of whom are even elite, just not garbage) - most of the league is just not very good. Their records can't reflect that because all these soft, not-very-good teams end up playing most of their games against each other.

The Twins were not better than the Dbacks in 2018.

And no team plays "patsies" for 4 months.

The AL/NL debate is open for discussion, at the least.

But Arizona had a better team than we did. Better top end players, without question.
  • Carole Keller, biggentleben and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#422 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,145 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:21 AM

Unlike the AL, where 3-5 teams are good, and they pad their records beating up on truly crap teams?

The Indians would not have won a single division in the NL this year. They had a great starting staff and two of the top MVP contenders, but from there to their next quality player is a HUGE drop-off. Without the crap of the AL Central, they're barely a .500 club.

While I'm at it, Cleveland would probably have won the NL East. On the other hand, Atlanta would most likely not have won any of the three AL divisions.
  • Carole Keller and TheLeviathan like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#423 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,616 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:47 AM

The Twins were not better than the Dbacks in 2018.

And no team plays "patsies" for 4 months.

The AL/NL debate is open for discussion, at the least.

But Arizona had a better team than we did. Better top end players, without question.

I disagree, but this is obviously a hypothetical I can't prove.But if the Twins played the D-backs 50 times, I think they win 28-30 of them.  

I damn sure don't think the Pirates are winning 82 in the AL.The Giants sure as hell aren't winning 70.And I'm not sure the Royals aren't actually a better team than the Padres, Marlins, and Reds.

#424 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:14 PM

While I'm at it, Cleveland would probably have won the NL East. On the other hand, Atlanta would most likely not have won any of the three AL divisions.

I could possibly understand that, but the East has some solid talent with the Mets pitching, the Phillies excellent arms and young bats had their streaks, and the Nationals finished very strong. Being able to withstand all of that is difficult, and while I don't think the Braves were at the same level as the Dodgers, I truly believe they have a chance in that series with Dansby Swanson healthy because their depth was killed when he was not available.

I know it's a fun thing to try to provoke the Braves fan since the VodkaDave days, but Cleveland's team was just not good this year all around outside of two players and their starting staff. I'm not sure how that's arguable.

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!