Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2018 MLB Postseason Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
423 replies to this topic

#1 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 08:56 AM

How about a postseason game thread? Any MLB postseason discussion can just go here.

• ashburyjohn, Blake and Monkeypaws like this

#2 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:00 AM

Last night (Tuesday Oct. 2), the Rockies beat the Cubs in the NL wild card game.

Former Twin Drew Butera came into the game on a double-switch in the 7th, and was almost a goat on a catcher's interference call which prolonged that inning for the Cubs, but he was bailed out.

Former Twin Randy Rosario came on in the 8th and issued a leadoff walk to Butera, but baserunner Butera was later erased in a double play.

After the walk, Butera went 0-for-2 before being lifted in a double-switch himself in the 12th, and his replacement at catcher, Tony Wolters, wound up singling in the eventual winning run in the 13th inning.

Seems doubtful that Drew would make the Rockies NLDS roster.

#3 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:06 AM

Tonight (Wednesday Oct. 3), AL Wild Card Game

Oakland Athletics at New York Yankees

Time: 7:08 CST

TV: TBS (and MLB.TV for international viewers?)

Radio: ESPN or MLB At Bat

New York is starting Luis Severino, same as last year's wild card game.

Hat tip to TD user "old nurse" for the news about Oakland's starting pitcher (or "opener"), Liam Hendriks:

http://www.espn.com/...-wild-card-game

#4 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:42 AM

Last night (Tuesday Oct. 2), the Rockies beat the Cubs in the NL wild card game...

I credit the rest days and off days for travel :)
  • ashburyjohn likes this

#5 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,575 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:04 AM

Hendriks showing just how good an idea it is to move mediocre starters to the bullpen......good for him. 

The Rockies and the Brewers......both went out and got legit MLB players this off season, even if we question some of the specific moves, they didn't try to find bargains, they tried to find good to very good players. 

I'm guessing the Yankees win pretty handily today, but we'll see. The A's lost a huge number of starters to injury, and are still in the playoffs.....

• SF Twins Fan likes this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#6 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:21 AM

Hendriks showing just how good an idea it is to move mediocre starters to the bullpen......good for him. 

Actually, Hendriks has been a pretty mediocre reliever too. 104 ERA+ the last 3 years with Oakland, although his FIP has been better. Average leverage usage. He was even DFA'd, cleared waivers, and outrighted midseason this year by Oakland.

But he came back to be an "opener" for September and was effective in that role, although not particularly dominant by modern reliever standards (only a 20.4% K rate for September).

• Danchat likes this

#7 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:26 AM

More on Oakland's pitching plan: not only are they starting a reliever in Hendriks, they have only 1 starter (Edwin Jackson) on their roster for this game:

https://www.mlb.com/...ter/c-296960116

Presumably Jackson is there in case it goes to extra innings.

So it looks like it will be more like a bullpen game, rather than the more "traditional" opener followed by a starter that the Twins employed late in the season.

Meaning we should expect to see former Twin Fernando Rodney at some point too, perhaps fairly early in the game.

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,575 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:29 AM

Actually, Hendriks has been a pretty mediocre reliever too. 104 ERA+ the last 3 years with Oakland, although his FIP has been better. Average leverage usage. He was even DFA'd, cleared waivers, and outrighted midseason this year by Oakland.

But he came back to be an "opener" for September and was effective in that role, although not particularly dominant by modern reliever standards (only a 20.4% K rate for September).

which I'd assume was better than his odds of being good as a starter.......but sure, he wasn't great. I think opener is probably easier to prepare for, because you know what is coming when......and you kind of know you are getting 20-30 pitches....1-2 innings. But sure, anyone can have a good streak....

#9 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:32 AM

By comparison, the Yankees have 4 starting pitchers on their roster for this game. Severino will start, but they also have Tanaka, Happ, and former Twin Lance Lynn. (Although Lynn did make 2 appearances in long relief for the Yankees this year.) Tanaka has never appeared in a MLB game in relief.

https://www.mlb.com/...ter/c-296903758

#10 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:37 AM

which I'd assume was better than his odds of being good as a starter.......

Agreed.

Perhaps I should have instead quibbled with you calling Hendriks a "mediocre starter" -- that appears quite generous! Only a 69 ERA+ over parts of 4 seasons as a SP, never higher than 76.

But to your general point, bad starter to average reliever is a good trade-off too.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#11 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:45 AM

Last night (Tuesday Oct. 2), the Rockies beat the Cubs in the NL wild card game.

Former Twin Drew Butera came into the game on a double-switch in the 7th, and was almost a goat on a catcher's interference call which prolonged that inning for the Cubs, but he was bailed out.

Former Twin Randy Rosario came on in the 8th and issued a leadoff walk to Butera, but baserunner Butera was later erased in a double play.

After the walk, Butera went 0-for-2 before being lifted in a double-switch himself in the 12th, and his replacement at catcher, Tony Wolters, wound up singling in the eventual winning run in the 13th inning.

Seems doubtful that Drew would make the Rockies NLDS roster.

Drew also made a great head up defensive play in the game stopping Biaz from gaining 3B. Huge play.

#12 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,575 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:50 AM

Agreed.

Perhaps I should have instead quibbled with you calling Hendriks a "mediocre starter" -- that appears quite generous! Only a 69 ERA+ over parts of 4 seasons as a SP, never higher than 76.

But to your general point, bad starter to average reliever is a good trade-off too.

I was trying to be nice.......I think we agree here...

• spycake likes this

#13 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:02 AM

I was trying to be nice.......

How Minnesotan of you! :)

#14 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:03 AM

If you are watching the game at the start tonight, be prepared to see Twins highlights from last years WC game with what they did to Severino (which feels like a 150 years ago)
  • Mike Sixel and bluechipper like this

#15 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,575 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:06 AM

How Minnesotan of you! :)

that hurts.....

#16 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:09 AM

that hurts.....

How Oregonian of you?

• ashburyjohn and Mike Sixel like this

#17 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,575 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:19 AM

How Oregonian of you?

heh......they both suffer from surface niceness, frankly. Very similar people and culture.....and suffer being a bad word. I like the surface niceness, I'd like it more if it was deep niceness and more open.....

• spycake likes this

#18 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:24 AM

Drew also made a great head up defensive play in the game stopping Biaz from gaining 3B. Huge play.

Which play was that? I may have missed it, I went to bed as it went to extra innings.

#19 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:45 AM

Which play was that? I may have missed it, I went to bed as it went to extra innings.

when he sprinted down to cover 3B.

#20 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:06 PM

when he sprinted down to cover 3B.

Got it! Almora's 11th inning sac bunt. Good play by Butera for sure.