Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Manager Paul Molitor Fired

paul molitor derek falvey thad levine jim pohlad
  • Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#61 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:28 PM

Is anyone else not able to see Page 2 of the comments?

Nope.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#62 108Stitches

108Stitches

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:31 PM

I wonder if Falvey was a little disappointed Molitor won the manager of the year award last year. He probably felt he had no choice but to retain him as manager for 2018, while really wanting to bring in his own guy. 

Well, same front office also inexplicably awarded Thorpe minor league pitcher of the year when Tyler Wells was significantly better. Molitor was definitely a scapegoat for some front office and player mistakes. Sh-t rolls downhill though.

• Strato Guy likes this

#63 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:32 PM

This is what drove me nuts about Molitor. He'd show flashes of innovation with the lineup and wasn't afraid to mix things up to find results.

Then he'd call on Addison Reed for the fifth time in six days later that game.

Just a wildly inconsistent manager in very baffling ways.

Spot on. Never understood when Mauer was out, and Grossman was in the lineup daily, why wasn't his best skill, is OB%, used in the lead off spot? But at the end of the season, when injuries took out so many bats, he suddenly decided riding Grossman's hot bat in the 4 hole. Just maddeningly inconsistent.
  • Jerr, Mike Sixel, Twins33 and 3 others like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#64 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 698 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:33 PM

Silly question: does a player/manager count against the 25 man roster? Perhaps #7 comes back for another season this way?

Otherwise Falvine's man is waiting "on deck."

#65 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,751 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:36 PM

Surprised but pleased with this news.

Molitor just had zero sense of how to run a pitching staff. And that's a big part of managing.

• Jerr, Danchat and David HK like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#66 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:40 PM

I'm surprised nobody is mentioning Scioscia

• glunn likes this

#67 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,751 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:42 PM

Zero chance Scioscia even gets an interview.

There, he's been mentioned.

:)

• ashbury, glunn, Jerr and 12 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#68 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:45 PM

So do we just email our resumes to the Twins or how does that work?Asking for a friend.

• SQUIRREL, ashbury, USAFChief and 16 others like this

#69 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,025 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:48 PM

can't.

tell.

if.

serious.

He's 180 degrees from what the team needs. 

• Jerr, nytwinsfan and SF Twins Fan like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#70 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,766 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

So do we just email our resumes to the Twins or how does that work?Asking for a friend.

You can send them to me and I'll hand them over when they call me to sit in on their brainstorming sessions on how to proceed from here!:)

• Mike Sixel and MN_ExPat like this

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains." 

#71 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,244 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

3.Able to work with young players, maybe even speak Spanish.

IMHO, anyone who is serious about a career in ANY phase of baseball should have strong Spanish skills.

• Mike Sixel, Twins33, Oldgoat_MN and 2 others like this

#72 akmanak

akmanak

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 392 posts

Two things about this: It really should not come as any surprise since Falvey wanted this to be his team. The writing was on the wall and there is no way they promote within the organization. We have seen this fail a number of times. Bring in some new blood make some trades and compete for once for a ring.
  • Jerr likes this

#73 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:50 PM

Mauer does not have the fire, that this team needs in a manager. No way coach of some kind or pr guy, NOT manager in any way.

• Doctor Wu likes this

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#74 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,632 posts

Molitor has had an amazing baseball career. All-Star, WS ring, WS MVP, silver slugger, and Manager of the year.I guess the only award he hasn't won is league MVP.I nejoyed watching him manage.He never had a ton of talent to work with so hard to say just how good a manager he could have been, but if I were him taking a lessor role might be better than being on the road all the time.

• David HK likes this

#75 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 2,218 posts

I think the criticism of his bullpen management is overblown. With that bullpen you are going to always be on the edge of overuse because there were only a couple of guys that were any good. More accurate blame would be to the front office for not bringing in better pitchers
  • Heistyman, Rigby and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#76 AeroRep

AeroRep

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:53 PM

No surprise. They didn't want to rehire him last year but were forced to due to the MOY award. He is a scapegoat for all the bad moves of the front office along with injured and ineffective Sano and Buxton. Expect them to sign a young analytic guy like Kaplan from Philadelphia. 

#77 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:55 PM

I consider this a promising start to the off-season for the organization.

As much as his in-game tactical decisions could be baffling, the whole energy and vibe problem concerned me much more. The constant mental mistakes. The lack of palpable joy, the body language of the players some times that made you wonder if their hearts were in it, the stoicism and careful language of Molitor, rarely openly disenchanted. The inklings of clubhouse tension. All of those incalculable things. A team is supposed to sort of take on the character of its leader, but this team couldn't steal bases, couldn't even run the bases smartly, or take smart at bats, or play smart defense, or play hard every play. It may have been partially bad luck for Pauly, but I think he kinda lost the clubhouse until all the fresh faces arrived with their own reasons to play hard.

• SQUIRREL, USAFChief, Jerr and 9 others like this

#78 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 2,556 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 02 October 2018 - 01:01 PM

I am happy to see this news. Molitor's a good dude but he's not a manager who can keep up with today's Whiz Kids.

Some "new school" managers I really like: Joe Maddon, Alex Cora, Dave Roberts, Kevin Cash.

Granted, 3 of them are managing perennial dynasties, but any one of them would have come to the Twins if they'd come calling a couple years ago. The Twins need to make sure they get the right guy to manage in today's climate.

I think Falvey and Levine have plenty of skill gaps, but I have faith that they are really going to knock this one out of the park. They were built for this.

• birdwatcher, Jerr, DocBauer and 3 others like this

#79 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,809 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 02 October 2018 - 01:01 PM

Scioscia and Showalter are exactly what I don't want. I'm not looking for a manager that hasn't modernized. Might as well keep Molitor if those are the guys who replace him. They are the same manager in my opinion. 

Hyde, Geren, Pat Murphy are guys that I hope they took a long look at. Never discussed philosophy with any of them so I won't offer strong opinions on any of them but I do know that they currently exist in the philosophy I'm hoping for. 

• Mike Sixel, nicksaviking, PseudoSABR and 5 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#80 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,244 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 02 October 2018 - 01:03 PM

I don't look at this as a scapegoat move. I look at this as Falvey recognizing that Molitor is not the type of person he thinks would be the best fit for the organization he is working on establishing. I think he wants a manager who truly gets the analytical and strategic aspects of the game, not one like Molitor who is only willing to go along with it for the sake of filling the position.

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, Kevin and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paul molitor, derek falvey, thad levine, jim pohlad