Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Manager Paul Molitor Fired

paul molitor derek falvey thad levine jim pohlad
  • Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:57 AM

USA Today's Bob Nightengale is reporting that Minnesota Twins manager Paul Molitor has been fired and a press conference this afternoon has been scheduled to announce it. Molitor managed the Twins for four seasons, two of which they exceeded expectations and two of which they did not. They finished this year 78-84, a disappointment after making it to the postseason last year with an 85-77 record.The team's 2017 season earned Paul Molitor Manager Of The Year Award honors, and a winner for this last season has not yet been announced, meaning he is still the reigning Manager of the Year. But his position as the Twins manager has been in doubt each of the last three seasons.

In 2016, the Twins dismal start led to the dismissal of General Manager Terry Ryan, which would often mean a change in manager as well. But Twins ownership announced that any new GM would need to retain Molitor as manager.

Which, of course, meant that questions emerged during the 2017 season as to whether new CBO Derek Falvey and GM Thad Levine would retain Molitor after their inaugural season was over, especially since Molitor's contract would also conclude after the 2017 season. A strong finish in 2017 and the resulting Manager of the Year award convinced both sides to extend the contract through 2020, though the amount of the contract was not announced.

This year's disappointing start led to a trade deadline selloff when the Twins were out of the race by mid-summer, but there had been very little speculation that a coaching change was imminent.

Comments from the Twins:

“I would like to thank Paul for his tremendous dedication to the Minnesota Twins over his last four years as manager of this club,” said Twins Executive Vice President, Chief Baseball Officer Derek Falvey. “Paul’s roots here run deep and his commitment to the organization, his staff, and the players is special. I have every hope and desire that he remains a part of this club for many years to come.”

“The importance and contribution of Paul Molitor to the Twins, our community and Major League Baseball cannot be diminished,” said Twins Owner Jim Pohlad. “On behalf of our family, I offer thanks to Paul for his four years as Twins manager and look forward to the continuation of our relationship with him.”

Comments from Paul Molitor:

“I was informed today that the Twins will seek a new manager for the 2019 season and I fully respect that decision. I will forever be grateful for the opportunity they gave me to serve in the role as manager for these past four years. I’m going to consider their genuine offer to serve in a different capacity to positively impact the Twins from a different role. Special thanks to my coaches and players I have had a chance to manage and I certainly appreciate the tremendous support I received from all of Twins Territory.”

Click here to view the article
  • glunn and Jerr like this

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,952 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:05 AM

Wonder if they'll promote from within or look elsewhere.

I'm only partially kidding with these replacement ideas: Chris Gimenez and Matt Belisle. There must be some reason Falvine keeps bringing them back on their rosters.
  • mikelink45, Bill Lumbergh, caninatl04 and 1 other like this

#3 108Stitches

108Stitches

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:05 AM

Not exactly the biggest shocker of the day
  • David HK and caninatl04 like this

#4 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:07 AM

His flaws as a manager were certainly irritating. It felt like the season was building towards this, and I don't really have an issue with the move. That said, Molitor took more heat than he probably deserved, this season especially, and he was the scapegoat for organizational and personnel failings. Such is being a manager I suppose. 

• Jerr, alarp33, TheLeviathan and 17 others like this

#5 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,409 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:09 AM

Wonder if they'll promote from within or look elsewhere.

That's what I'm going to find most intriguing about this.They've been able to evaluate the in-house staff that has been retained and have had their chance to bring in their own people as well.I think that I still prefer to go outside of the organization, but I'm not as adamantly opposed about it as I was when Molitor was hired. 

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#6 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,952 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:11 AM

His flaws as a manager were certainly irritating. It felt like the season was building towards this, and I don't really have an issue with the move. That said, Molitor took more heat than he probably deserved, this season especially, and he was the scapegoat for organizational and personnel failings. Such is being a manager I suppose.

Agreed. He was getting blamed for things outside of his job duties here on TD most of the season.

Oh well, Molitor will be just fine. A new manager is only one step to the equation. It's not going to fix the talent deficiencies on the field.
  • SwainZag, TheLeviathan, mikelink45 and 12 others like this

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,439 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:11 AM

Whoa. I thought he'd get one more season.

Not that I dislike the move, just a bit surprised by it.

• USAFChief, Blake, Jerr and 12 others like this

#8 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:12 AM

Doogie says keep an eye on Brad Mills, Indians bench coach

• gil4 and Minny505 like this

#9 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,261 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:13 AM

#process

#10 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:14 AM

i repeat ... joe mauer: player/manager.

• PopRiveter, Puckett34, blindeke and 3 others like this

#11 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,334 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:17 AM

i repeat ... joe mauer: player/manager.

Hitting coach for Manager Jake Mauer.
  • gil4, Puckett34, mickeymental and 2 others like this

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#12 Strato Guy

Strato Guy

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 30 posts

Argueable, Molitor may have managed better this year than last year. With the huge dissapointment of Buxton, Sano, Dozier, Polanco and Morrison and the unloading of assets during the year, losing only 7 more games than the year before was not unexpected in my eyes. Molitor may have had a better year than the front office!

• glunn, PopRiveter, gil4 and 24 others like this

#13 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Well, bye Joe Mauer.

• brightside likes this

#14 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:19 AM

I guess I really only had two issues with him: questionable bullpen usage and leaning too heavily on his security blanket veterans (Wilson, Belisle, Gimenez) when they're not getting the job done.

Some of that is playing with the toys he's given, but some toys got played with way too much.

• Twins33, Platoon, David HK and 4 others like this

#15 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,557 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:19 AM

Jake Mauer....or outside.....

• Carole Keller, Twins33, beckmt and 2 others like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#16 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,409 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:20 AM

Agreed. He was getting blamed for things outside of his job duties here on TD most of the season.

Oh well, Molitor will be just fine. A new manager is only one step to the equation. It's not going to fix the talent deficiencies on the field.

It's also possible that this has little to do with what transpired on the field.It could be as simple as the FO and Molitor not being on the same page and they decided to go get their own guy.It's unlikely that we'll really know if that's the case however.

• gil4, SF Twins Fan, caninatl04 and 2 others like this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#17 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:21 AM

Too early to speculate on names but, I suspect the main qualities they are looking for will be:

1.Relationship guy a la Dave Roberts and Joey Cora.

2.Analytically up to speed, if not adept.

3.Able to work with young players, maybe even speak Spanish.

4.Someone who focuses on the process, but holds everyone accountable within the established parameters.

This will be very interesting for sure.

And, very much needed, IMHO.

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel, Twins33 and 10 others like this

#18 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:21 AM

#19 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,557 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:24 AM

They have discussed other roles for him.....is that awkward? I'd think that would be awkward....

• Jerr, jokin, notoriousgod71 and 2 others like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#20 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,765 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:25 AM

Molitor was playing favorites with his veterans.Not good for a team that is built primarily on youth.Good to see him go.

I hope that the Twins bing in a younger manager outside the organization who comes with a winning pedigree.

Mills is 61.Fine for a bench coach but too old to relate to 20-30 year olds, not unlike Molitor

• Kevin, notoriousgod71, DocBauer and 2 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paul molitor, derek falvey, thad levine, jim pohlad