Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Daily 2018 Awards: Most Improved

kyle gibson taylor rogers mitch garver stephen gonsalves kohl stewart
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:12 PM

Can't and won't argue. Great choice! This is the Gibson we thought we were getting after '14 & '15. Glad he finally arrived!

Could make a very strong arguement for Roger's and have no complaint from me. I'd say Gibson wins because he is a SP and sank pretty low in '16 and the start of '17.

My only qualm with Garver on the list is being a rookie, kind of defeats the "improved" part of the equation, IMO. Still, I'm a believer and really felt his defense improved as the year went on. The bat looks pretty legitimate to me. I think he's the primary catcher when 2019 is said and done.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#22 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:13 PM

Hopefully Berrios since he is currently our best starter.

I'm OK with that too. I got so excited reading about Gibson's improvements that I got a little carried away.

#23 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,059 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 02 October 2018 - 03:47 PM

did he actually induce more double plays per IP cause his GB rate was lower than it was the last two seasons.

I would imagine he didn’t get more double plays than previous seasons, but that he still got more than average. This is what I liked about 2018 Kyle Gibson—he pitched well in some starts when he didn’t get a lot of swings and misses. Some games, it was a lot of grounders, other games, fanned more than one per inning. Regardless of what might be working for him in a specific outing, he usually found a way to be effective, as evidenced by 18 Quality Starts.

#24 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 03:59 PM

Seems to be a bit of a dubious distinction.

Hicks and Dozier were both out of the organization within 2 years of winning the award.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 02 October 2018 - 03:59 PM.

#25 killertwinfan

killertwinfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:10 AM

Good for Kyle. I never thought it would happen!He is become a leader of the team.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kyle gibson, taylor rogers, mitch garver, stephen gonsalves, kohl stewart