Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Mauer’s Myths: The Hero Minnesota Didn’t Deserve

joe mauer kirby puckett rod carew harmon killebrew
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:31 AM

Compare Joe Mauer to Sandy Koufax. Both were injured during their prime. Koufax quit after 12 years. His 3 years with Brooklyn, which were mediocre, were before his 9 best years. with LA, which were outstanding. Mauer kept playing after his injuries. Mauer player 5 years of mediorce baseball (10.4 WAR) after his best years.. I contend that Mauer's 10 best years as a catcher were so superior to any other catchers' 10 years (3 batting titles by a catcher- never been done before), that they compare to Koufax's 9 best years as a pitcher in relation to other pitchers. Did Koufax, as dominant as he was, ever do anything that no other pitcher has done before or since? No. I admit Koufax was dominant at his position for 9 years, but so was Joe Mauer for 10 years, in relation to all other catchers in the history of MLB. If Koufax deserves to be in the HOF (and he certainly does), then so does Joe Mauer (and he certainly does).

Koufax won 3 Cy Youngs in 4 years. Keep in mind that was AL and NL combined then. No one else won more than one when it was combined. Koufax won 5 consecutive ERA titles (3 of which were MLB ERA titles) and had six consecutive seasons where his FIP was MLB best. Pretty sure those are unique to him.
  • USAFChief, glunn and Dantes929 like this

#42 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,451 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:23 PM

This. And catcher is not just the most physically demanding position it's also the most mentally demanding position. The fact that he hit the way he did while being outstanding as a catcher is why he was the best baseball player in the world over those ten seasons. And that includes Albert Pujols.

I'm not going to disparage Mauer, I think he's a HOFer.

But he was nowhere near the player Pujols or Miguel Cabrera were.Pujols hit 400 HRs in that decade.He out-paced Mauer by almost 16 WAR over that time.I think we can appreciate Mauer without too much hyperbole.

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, Dantes929 and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: joe mauer, kirby puckett, rod carew, harmon killebrew