Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: MIN 11, DET 4: Bats Bust Out, Bullpen Shuts Out Detroit

johnny field jake odorizzi tyler duffey tyler austin jorge polanco
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 05:01 PM

Yeah, IP is included in fWAR. And they were worth the same fWAR.

But yeah, no doubt Gibson helped the bullpen by pitching an inning more a game, but that doesn't change the dramatic difference in the perceptions of their respective seasons.Gushing over own, slamming the other.Not much difference overall, in how they performed on the mound.

And as far as expectations of Odorizzi, this is his 2nd best season ever. He was worth 3 times what he got paid this year. What were people expecting and how realistic were expectations?

3 times what he was paid? So Odorizzi's season was worth $18.9M? I've never liked the WAR to $$ model, if that's the one you're using.

The final stats aren't that far off from what I was thinking, but the number of short starts and 20+ pitch innings from this guy were brutal IMO. He's part of the reason why the bullpen had to throw more innings, leading to the over-usage of several relievers.

• SgtSchmidt11 and Original Whizzinator like this

#22 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 05:40 PM

WAR = [[([(League “FIP” – “FIP”) / Pitcher Specific Runs Per Win] + Replacement Level) * (IP/9)] * Leverage Multiplier for Relievers] + League Correction

When FIP is about the same for two starters, and the innings pitched are very different, I don't quite see how the basic formula (above) would reach the conclusion of equal WAR. So it must be somewhere down in the arcana of the full formula, which is beyond my pay grade and mostly wouldn't differ for two teammates. I didn't spot what that would be. Maybe something screwy in the infield fly count. :)

sorry I was talking about the difference in fWAR and BWAR. You gave bWAR numbers

#23 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,776 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 27 September 2018 - 06:11 PM

sorry I was talking about the difference in fWAR and BWAR. You gave bWAR numbers

Understood, but I was trying to get some kind of intuition about what fWAR values. Because it doesn't seem to be "going deep into games".

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. -- Jonathan Swift

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: johnny field, jake odorizzi, tyler duffey, tyler austin, jorge polanco