Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: First-Round Flops or Unfinished Projects?

kohl stewart tyler jay
  • Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#81 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:29 AM

The Jay pick was really awful. That’s not “unlucky.” That was a stretch, and not a good one.

It wasn't a stretch though. The week before the draft he was rated as high as 3rd. Any time you can find a lefty that throws 96-98 it's a no brainer to take him. It was unlucky he pitched less than 100 innings, in his first 3 seasons. 

#82 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:37 AM

The draft results are certainly underwhelming but i'm curious as to how that ranks with other organizations.Are there rankings available based upon objective data as compared to some guy's subjective views? I'd be curious as to what we should expect and how far off of the norm the Twins have been. I suspect it's a long way, but I would be interested to know how far off the norm we are.

If two picks become contributors it is considered a successful draft. BA grades drafts.

#83 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:03 AM

With an average age of 29.1, the Twins opening day roster was 8th oldest in MLB. In an era when other (GOOD) teams are getting younger.

Early in the 2017 season, our Twins were the second youngest team in all of baseball, based on weighted playing time. It was posted right here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kohl stewart, tyler jay