Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

I'm Yawning...

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#21 brvama

brvama

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:44 AM

To answer the question, I am excited that next year is a new year and maybe, just maybe, the injuries to the core will be minimal. I also agree with those who pine for competition at the various positions. Like others my interest has waned however I still check on the Twins everyday.

#22 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 12:38 PM

Posts like this interest me greatly, and it does seem to be the prevailing opinion.

What I don't understand is how the prevailing opinion was the opposite when Terry Ryan was around. It was always "Give it time" whereas the majority wants to give up on the new group after basically one year.

I don't want to dig on Ryan any more than we all have already, but I really don't get this huge change in viewpoint. Ryan gutted the team for years, and this F.O. sold expiring assets at the trade deadline in a lost season.

Of course, we'll see how things look in another six months... but for now there isn't much to be down about.

I haven't read that anybody has completely given up on the FO. It's ok to criticize the current group for their failings. I agree that moving expiring contracts at the deadline was probably the right move, but we also need to acknowledge that this FO played in a part in the Twins becoming sellers. 

• Mike Sixel and Borealis like this

#23 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 01:09 PM

I guess guys to keep an eye on next year are Romero, Thorpe, Rooker and Gordon (who i hope turns it around).Other than that i don't know what else is close to being helpful. LaMonte Wade looked real good until he got to Rochester. Alex Kirilloff has looked real good so far but i can't imagine him or Royce Lewis rising to the majors in 2019.  

• Borealis likes this

#24 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 01:51 PM

Second place in their Division! A dozen teams worse than the Twins. Maybe they should be worse more so we can get a draft pick. But, yes, the end of the Mauer-era. 

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#25 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:08 PM

A lot of you folks should take a year or two off - wait until they start doing well to come back.Many other teams have fans like that - you wouldn't be alone.

#26 rv78

rv78

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:41 PM

I think the biggest thing was everyone thought this was going to be a year where they challenged the Indians. Twins fans pretty much knew by the All-Star break that wasn't going to happen. It's tough to watch a team that has been so disappointing when the expectations were so much more than what we got. Like Patrick Reusse referred to, If "This is how we baseball" then we are in serious trouble.

Falvine pretty much failed in their 1st attempt to build on what they had in their 1st off-season last year. Morrison, Lynn, Rodney, Reed didn't perform like expected but then neither did Buxton, Sano, Kepler, Dozier. Polonco was only around for half a season and by then the fate of the team was sealed. Santana never made it back, etc, etc..

Going forward no one on this team currently excites me other than Berrios and he hasn't exactly been lights out, especially in the 2nd half or against the better teams. 

I'm really not looking forward to next year with what they have. Major changes need to happen from the Manager all the way down to but excluding TC Bear. 

#27 Borealis

Borealis

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 03:12 PM

A lot of you folks should take a year or two off - wait until they start doing well to come back.Many other teams have fans like that - you wouldn't be alone.

Real fans don’t bail, but they have every right to be critical.
  • Jerr, Danchat and snap4birds like this

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,579 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 03:27 PM

Why don't real fans bail? Why keep paying for a bad product?
  • Tomj14 likes this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#29 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,930 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:03 PM

How do we as semi-intelligent, "slightly more informed than most" Twins' fans rate last year's "Veteran Leaders" signings? Here are my grades: LoMo - F,;Lynn - F; Rodney F..for me extremely agonizing and frustrating to watch him pitch and interact with others; Reed - D; Sanchez -F; Odorizi -C.

Ok, I would be slightly less harsh, but only slightly. It didn’t work.

I know we are not in the clubhouse, nor around the players...and I may be completely wrong here, but based solely on what I saw on the field and heard in interviews, expecting any of the first 3 named above to come in to a new team and be positive team players was a mistake. I would suggest more emphasis should have been put on looking for positive leadership personalities than was done last year. You may say, "Well Tarheel, leadership is baloney...it is HR's and strikeouts that count"...but ask yourself this question: What do successful businesses look for in recruiting new employees? I submit one key criteria for a successful business, or military unit, or any successful organization of people, or a successful team is positive leadership resulting in teamwork...not just the "experience" of having jumped from one business to another business for 10 years. Good leaders put team first. Good leaders successfully encourage others to have the common goals...Good leaders are necessary for a team to win year after year in baseball. Sustained winning in baseball, or business, is part skills, yes, but there must exist a desire to achieve team greatness....There is no "I" in team. The same team goal must be winning the World Series, which originates from a team filled with positive mindsets., which makes the team members work harder than ever before, and leaders to encourage each other to achieve greatness...not just "making it to the good life of wealth"...but to put individual accomplishments aside with the common goal of achieving team greatness. Where are the Kirby Pucketts, the George Pattons, the Michael Jordans on the current Twins' team? Read what the following have to say about great teamwork: "Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work." Vince Lombardi; "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships." Michael jordan; "Teamwork is the fuel that allows common people to attain uncommon results." Andrew Carnegie; "To me, teamwork is the beauty of our sport, where you have five acting as one. You become selfless." Mike Krzyzewski. Remember, "Teamwork makes the dream work."

You are emphasizing teamwork and glossing-over talent. Michael Scott quoted all those inspirational posters too, but that was one disfunctional office.

The organization I work for recruits the most talented people it can attain first and coaches leadership behaviors once new employees are on boarded.

Edited by Sconnie, 22 September 2018 - 04:21 PM.

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#30 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:52 PM

I think the biggest thing was everyone thought this was going to be a year where they challenged the Indians. Twins fans pretty much knew by the All-Star break that wasn't going to happen. It's tough to watch a team that has been so disappointing when the expectations were so much more than what we got. Like Patrick Reusse referred to, If "This is how we baseball" then we are in serious trouble.
Falvine pretty much failed in their 1st attempt to build on what they had in their 1st off-season last year. Morrison, Lynn, Rodney, Reed didn't perform like expected but then neither did Buxton, Sano, Kepler, Dozier. Polonco was only around for half a season and by then the fate of the team was sealed. Santana never made it back, etc, etc..
Going forward no one on this team currently excites me other than Berrios and he hasn't exactly been lights out, especially in the 2nd half or against the better teams.
I'm really not looking forward to next year with what they have. Major changes need to happen from the Manager all the way down to but excluding TC Bear.

plenty of us didn't have any beliefs we would challenge the Indians this year.
  • SwainZag and rghrbek like this

#31 Champuckett

Champuckett

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:54 PM

It's not just you.There are many external factors outside of sports in the world right now that are making sports or baseball seem, maybe for the first time, less appealing than it always has been.

I'm still checking the scores and seeing how the players are doing, but I am with you, there has been a dip in excitement in recent years.

#32 Borealis

Borealis

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:54 PM

I guess guys to keep an eye on next year are Romero, Thorpe, Rooker and Gordon (who i hope turns it around).Other than that i don't know what else is close to being helpful. LaMonte Wade looked real good until he got to Rochester. Alex Kirilloff has looked real good so far but i can't imagine him or Royce Lewis rising to the majors in 2019.

I would hope they are at least considering fast tracking Rooker. Dude tore up the SEC. How much time in the minors does he really need?
  • laloesch likes this

#33 Dozier's Glorious Hair

Dozier's Glorious Hair

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 06:16 PM

Because they love baseball and they love the Minnesota Twins.

• SwainZag, tarheeltwinsfan and Borealis like this

#34 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 06:23 PM

I would hope they are at least considering fast tracking Rooker. Dude tore up the SEC. How much time in the minors does he really need?

striking out as much as he does in AA is a real problem.

• Oldgoat_MN, rghrbek, SF Twins Fan and 2 others like this

#35 Teflon

Teflon

"That" Guy

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 06:35 PM

The Twins are just a Row the Boat type leader away from being on the fringe of bowl eligibility the Wild Card in 2019, provided we can get the equivalents of New Mexico, Fresno State and Miami of Ohio on the schedule next April.

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#36 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 06:35 PM

I haven't read that anybody has completely given up on the FO. It's ok to criticize the current group for their failings. I agree that moving expiring contracts at the deadline was probably the right move, but we also need to acknowledge that this FO played in a part in the Twins becoming sellers. 

Yes, but you missed the point completely. The point is, why was sucking with no clear path to a good future considered acceptable just five years ago? People got their heads torn off for criticizing management in any way. What changed?

• jimmer likes this

#37 shimrod

shimrod

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 06:36 PM

1. "I would suggest more emphasis should have been put on looking for positive leadership personalities than was done last year."

2. "I think we will see at least 3 major trades giving up a combination of 25-man roster players and prospects for proven players."

I agree the team needs leadership, but can you trade for it? It takes two to tango; you can trade for production and you can trade for talent, but is team leadership ever available? Free agency is the only option and the players who could fit the bill have better options. 

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#38 Borealis

Borealis

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 06:38 PM

I agree it’s hard to be optimistic. I’ve been highly critical of this FO, but I do buy into their intent to build a sustainable org that can produce a team talented enough to be in the playoff conversation most years. As a mid-market team, we are going to have to nail it on the home-grown talent front if the perennial dream is to be realized. Because of this, exciting trade avenues seem limited. I’d be shocked if we traded away the quality prospects that we do have in the low and mid minors.

Hopefully we can make some shrewd acquisitions in FA. That’s about the best I can hope for this offseason. Otherwise, the dreaded patience word will be well documented next year and maybe even 2020.
  • jimmer and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#39 Borealis

Borealis

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 06:42 PM

See Cubs for 100 plus years. Ask those fans your question lol
  • Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#40 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 07:05 PM

See Cubs for 100 plus years. Ask those fans your question lol

just cause the Cubs didn't win a W Series for a long time doesn't mean they were bad for 100 plus years.

• Doomtints likes this