Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

I'm Yawning...

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 twinssporto

twinssporto

Throwin' Aspirins

• Members
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:24 AM

0902B5C4000005DC-0-image-a-7_14396561320

Maybe I'm burned out on the horrible season the Twins had this year or maybe its apathy, but this is the first time in many years I'm not really excited about the upcoming 2019 Twins season.  Last night a buddy of mine who knows I'm a big Twins fan asked me what excites me about the Twins next year.  It was a great question but one that left me somewhat stumped. The more I thought about it I've only come up with a few things...Hopefully Berrios continues to take steps forward. Hopefully Buxton turns the corner. Hopefully Sano turns the corner too.  Beyond that and one or two great prospects moving up from the minors I'm somewhat "meh".

I know it's the end of a terrible year for the Twins and I'm sure my excitement will grow during the off season but I'm afraid I see a lot of mediocre players and an organization that feels devoid of leadership and without spirit. There are some holes this team needs to fill in the offseason for sure. Hopefully they find a clubhouse leader too.  That seems to be the most glaring hole.

It's just my take on things as more than a casual fan and observer of baseball...  

• USAFChief, Jerr, brvama and 15 others like this

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,522 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:28 AM

It's alright twinssporto. I haven't cared about a Twins game outcome since July 31.

The playoffs will hook me back in because there's nothing better than great teams battling it out.

The Twins will hook me once they make some moves this offseason. The worst thing they could do is remain status quo.
  • Oldgoat_MN, TheLeviathan, LA VIkes Fan and 4 others like this

#3 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:42 AM

"Status quo" is not a term that I think of with this group. I don't necessarily think of them with lots of flashy moves, but I think they will be active. Their modus operandi seems to be to make lots of moves and hope that more improve them incrementally than hurt them. 

#4 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:35 AM

Well, I always tell people I won't go to a "live" Twins game again until they get to .500.

But I still watch and listen.

I am most frustrated by bullpen usage, line-up construction, and the lack of playing time for rookies compared to placesetters who ARE NOT part of the future.

Do the Twins have/need a franchise player? How does that happen anymore with three years of play to get comfortable, three years of arbitration where you decided if you are paying too much, and always the need for free agency.

Yes, Krilloff may be the player we wanted Buxton to be, or Hicks

• brvama, tarheeltwinsfan, rghrbek and 2 others like this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#5 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,015 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:38 AM

Zero position players in the minors ready to help. One pitcher that could be exciting (Romero).....that's it. Other than that, what you see is what you get. W/O significant FA help or trades, 2019 looks bad *

*unless Buxton and Sano learn to hit, of course, but there is little evidence of that right now.

• Oldgoat_MN, LA VIkes Fan, mikelink45 and 6 others like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#6 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,619 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:00 PM

It's up to the Front Office to stop the yawning. One key acquisition won't be enough. But two or three will start to move the needle, given that a somewhat solid base of contributors is on board. I'm looking for FalVine to do something impressive, rather than merely setting up infrastructure.

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel, LA VIkes Fan and 3 others like this

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#7 drbob524

drbob524

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:06 PM

As a Spurs fan, I object to your photo choice. #WengerOut

As a Twins fan, I agree with the rest. My feelings will be very different come TwinsFest, when I wont be able to contain my excitement that baseball is returning. but now, 2019 feels like it will be closer to 2018 than 2017 (and I dont mean just numerically). 

• Oldgoat_MN, twinssporto and SF Twins Fan like this

#8 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,680 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:07 PM

Set up competition at every position and make the players compete for playing time. If they do that... I'll get enough air in my lungs to stop yawning. Sano doesn't get a job handed to him... Sano has to earn the job back. Buxton doesn't get a job handed to him... Buxton has to earn the job back. Rosario and Kepler don't get to go in the tank for a long stretch... they will have to compete with Buxton who is trying to earn a job back. Competition at every position. Nobody gets to struggle for months anymore. They must sing for their supper. If they get too many guys singing... we will win. 

If they go into 2019 handing out full time jobs and letting them keep the job while hitting below .200 like they did this year... it will be a big blow to my loyal fandom.

• brvama, Jham, ChrisKnutson and 3 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#9 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:13 PM

Zero position players in the minors ready to help. One pitcher that could be exciting (Romero).....that's it. Other than that, what you see is what you get. W/O significant FA help or trades, 2019 looks bad *

*unless Buxton and Sano learn to hit, of course, but there is little evidence of that right now.

If Brusdar Graterol starts off Hot, there is no reason he couldn't be a call up and exciting sometime next year.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#10 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,293 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:17 PM

You could always take up cliff diving as a hobby.
  • Vanimal46 and twinssporto like this

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,015 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:26 PM

If Brusdar Graterol starts off Hot, there is no reason he couldn't be a call up and exciting sometime next year.

Well, sure, if anyone at taht level is amazing, they might come up next year.....how does the April team look right now?

• SF Twins Fan and Tomj14 like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#12 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 02:09 PM

Well, sure, if anyone at taht level is amazing, they might come up next year.....how does the April team look right now?

You are preaching to the choir my friend. I was just pointing out that there might be another pitcher somewhat close that could be exciting.

• Mike Sixel and Oldgoat_MN like this

#13 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 06:57 AM

It's up to the Front Office to stop the yawning. One key acquisition won't be enough. But two or three will start to move the needle, given that a somewhat solid base of contributors is on board. I'm looking for FalVine to do something impressive, rather than merely setting up infrastructure.

Two or three will only move the needle if they are move the needle type players.

The Twins traded for/signed 5 veteran players last offseason (6 if you count Sanchez). It moved the needle alright. The wrong way.
  • mikelink45 and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#14 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 22 September 2018 - 07:40 AM

I agree that 2019 looks like a very, very bad year. The Twins are finishing 2018 with a record that looks like a team who was rebuilding....but they weren't.

The breakout players on this team were Jake Cave and Tyler Austin, two Yankee farm-hand rejects. The good news is that they're on the Twins now. The bad news is that the Twins farm system can't come up with anything better.

I hope Buxton learns how to hit, but I don't see that happening. I think the FO has to realistically have Cave, Kepler, and Rosario as their starting OF on the board for opening day unless an acquisition is made.

• Oldgoat_MN and mikelink45 like this

#15 twinssporto

twinssporto

Throwin' Aspirins

• Members
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 22 September 2018 - 07:49 AM

I was going to write an entire post about the lack of leadership and chemistry on this team this year but opted for a more melancholy short commentary.  But after reading some of the posts above I think it needs to be discussed.  Who can step in and take a leadership role in this clubhouse?

In years past when we had decent and competitive teams you always had a few guys that added some spirit and confidence to the team: Puckett, Hrbek, Gladden, Blyleven, Morris, Morneau, Hunter, Cuddyer, Dozier, etc. After trading Dozier and Escobar this year who's left? Falvey talks a lot about chemistry and bringing in the right people but you have to wonder if he knows what clubhouse chemistry looks like.  What role is MOY playing in this as well?

Sano and Buxton could play those roles well if they get hot and build some confidence.  Barring those two I think we may have to wait for the better talent in the minors to arrive.

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#16 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 08:59 AM

How do we as semi-intelligent, "slightly more informed than most" Twins' fans rate last year's "Veteran Leaders" signings? Here are my grades: LoMo - F,;Lynn - F; Rodney F..for me extremely agonizing and frustrating to watch him pitch and interact with others; Reed - D; Sanchez -F; Odorizi -C. I know we are not in the clubhouse, nor around the players...and I may be completely wrong here, but based solely on what I saw on the field and heard in interviews, expecting any of the first 3 named above to come in to a new team and be positive team players was a mistake. I would suggest more emphasis should have been put on looking for positive leadership personalities than was done last year. You may say, "Well Tarheel, leadership is baloney...it is HR's and strikeouts that count"...but ask yourself this question: What do successful businesses look for in recruiting new employees? I submit one key criteria for a successful business, or military unit, or any successful organization of people, or a successful team is positive leadership resulting in teamwork...not just the "experience" of having jumped from one business to another business for 10 years. Good leaders put team first. Good leaders successfully encourage others to have the common goals...Good leaders are necessary for a team to win year after year in baseball. Sustained winning in baseball, or business, is part skills, yes, but there must exist a desire to achieve team greatness....There is no "I" in team. The same team goal must be winning the World Series, which originates from a team filled with positive mindsets., which makes the team members work harder than ever before, and leaders to encourage each other to achieve greatness...not just "making it to the good life of wealth"...but to put individual accomplishments aside with the common goal of achieving team greatness. Where are theKirby Pucketts, the George Pattons,the Michael Jordans on the current Twins' team? Read what the following have to say about great teamwork: "Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work." Vince Lombardi; "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships." Michael jordan;"Teamwork is the fuel that allows common people to attain uncommon results." Andrew Carnegie; "To me, teamwork is the beauty of our sport, where you have five acting as one. You become selfless." Mike Krzyzewski. Remember, "Teamwork makes the dream work."

• twinssporto likes this

#17 birddog

birddog

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 09:12 AM

I, too, stopped watching back in July. At first I'd watch during the commercials of the reruns, but with Escobar gone they became a team without an identity, present or future, and I stopped watching or even caring. I check the boxscore in the paper but don't read about them. I am bitter at the course this season has run. 

Maybe Carlos Correa's bad season (hitting .240 for him would be great for Buck) is a positive sign for Twins fans that maybe this is an aberration or it's not just our pipeline system that's broke. What a shame to see all the empty seats in that beautiful stadium, but if we can't stomach watching for free why would we pay for it?

Falvine had better have a major plan this off season. I am expecting at least 3 major free agent signings--one of which has to be to bring back Escobar who I think was the clubhouse leader--but more importantly I think we will see at least 3 major trades giving up a combination of 25-man roster players and prospects for proven players. I see Buxton or Sano being traded, but not both, as I think some team will look at their 2017 season and give us more than what they should. It's scary that we are excited about Cave and Austin, but may have had a better player in Daniel Palka who never got a chance (I did say may have been better). When we promote other teams' castoffs without even a thought of our own prospects, the farm system is broken.

I love baseball and I love the Twins, but this brand of Twins baseball has me liking reruns more.

• brvama, Oldgoat_MN and twinssporto like this

#18 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 09:38 AM

Maybe Carlos Correa's bad season (hitting .240 for him would be great for Buck) is a positive sign for Twins fans that maybe this is an aberration or it's not just our pipeline system that's broke. What a shame to see all the empty seats in that beautiful stadium, but if we can't stomach watching for free why would we pay for it?

Correa has been hurt, battling a bad back among other things.Even if he has actually stopped being the great player he was the previous three years, he's hardly the only youngster thriving on that team.

#19 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:02 AM

Posts like this interest me greatly, and it does seem to be the prevailing opinion.

What I don't understand is how the prevailing opinion was the opposite when Terry Ryan was around. It was always "Give it time" whereas the majority wants to give up on the new group after basically one year.

I don't want to dig on Ryan any more than we all have already, but I really don't get this huge change in viewpoint. Ryan gutted the team for years, and this F.O. sold expiring assets at the trade deadline in a lost season.

Of course, we'll see how things look in another six months... but for now there isn't much to be down about.

• brvama and Original Whizzinator like this

#20 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:15 AM

Yep, yawning for sure here. Shopping for groceries and had my Twins hat on the other day. Some guy asks me, "how the Twins do last night?"......I had no clue, as I have lost interest.....merely replied "it's been a loooong bad season and have no clue."

Sad for a fan here, since a 8yr.old when they arrived here in 1961. Tough year with no bright, shiny things in sight this year.

Yawning, is being a real gentle word, as to how I feel this year.

• USAFChief, brvama, twinssporto and 1 other like this

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin