Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: MIN 8, DET 2: Gonsalves Stymies Tigers

stephen gonsalves tyler austin willians astudillo ehire adrianza robbie grossman
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 bobs

bobs

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:51 AM

Glorified AAA lineup for Tigers yesterday, but Gonsalves still looked much better.He and Stewart both seem to be improving with their command.At this point, we'll take any signs of positivity we can get!

#22 108Stitches

108Stitches

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:24 AM

I don't like it in principle but it's kinda an interesting way to get young pitchers feet wet at the major league level. If it works heck why not.

>oh look Gonsalves had a great game, let me look at his game score.
>hmm 45
>oh that’s the opener guy, no score for Gonsalves

The opener skews stats, ruins the feel of the game for me (and millions of others I’m sure)

#23 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:15 AM

Gonsalves is a potential longterm good, crafty lefty (rather than a fireballer) in MLB. I hope the Twins don't muck things up by signing Lance Lynn-types in FA.Let the younger pitchers fight it out for a spot in the rotation. 

• IaFan1 likes this

#24 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:31 AM

Do wins matter at this time of year?I am more interested in the young arms and wishing we had some young players at bat and in the field.What am I missing.Does it matter how far we are from 500 or that we can beat Detroit and the White Sox?The only reason I do not care about the opener now is that at least we see another pitcher, but why not some other guys.I really do not want the opener to care over to next year, but I am okay with it now.  

As the season winds down I am even more mystified with the lack of call ups - Reed and Anderson in the pen, Wade and Gordon in the field.I do not care about the minor league stats, they need to be seen and given some exposure to the Twins.  

#25 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:37 AM

Do wins matter at this time of year? I am more interested in the young arms and wishing we had some young players at bat and in the field. What am I missing. Does it matter how far we are from 500 or that we can beat Detroit and the White Sox? The only reason I do not care about the opener now is that at least we see another pitcher, but why not some other guys. I really do not want the opener to care over to next year, but I am okay with it now.

As the season winds down I am even more mystified with the lack of call ups - Reed and Anderson in the pen, Wade and Gordon in the field. I do not care about the minor league stats, they need to be seen and given some exposure to the Twins.

Gonsalves and Busenitz dominated AAA. The results at the MLB level are mediocre to poor. What does that say about the chance for success for a guy that did poorly at AAA (Wade and Gordon)?

What is the point of giving someone at bats who will clearly be overmatched? Not to mention starting their service time clocks.

#26 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:24 AM

What is the point of giving someone at bats who will clearly be overmatched? Not to mention starting their service time clocks.

You've got a point about being overmatched, but service time wouldn't really be an issue. They are both pretty much guaranteed to be added to the 40-man by November, and neither one is likely to open 2019 in the majors, which would "pause" their service time clock and render any service time accrued in September 2018 mostly irrelevant.
  • mikelink45 likes this

#27 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,962 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:40 AM

Service time clocks are meaningless for relievers. Call them up when they are on a hot streak and showing success at AA or AAA.

Service time for position players is a case by case basis. Wade for example is going to be 25. All of his prime is under control even if he starts opening day on the MLB roster. If a player shows star potential like Lewis and Kiriloff, service time becomes a serious factor.
  • Mike Sixel, scottz and spycake like this

#28 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:34 PM

Gonsalves and Busenitz dominated AAA. The results at the MLB level are mediocre to poor. What does that say about the chance for success for a guy that did poorly at AAA (Wade and Gordon)?

I cannot equate hitters and pitchers, but it really does not matter to me.This is not about securing second place in the central division, it is about putting young players in the lineup and seeing them play, even if they fall flat.I would go a lot further than these two if I had the chance.I am tired of the keeping control argument.If someone comes up and is good they will get a contract and an extension.

#29 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:11 PM

On the other side, same thing--Austin and Astudillo and Adrianza might have a place next year.  Anyway, winning four in a row is nice.

Austin
Astudillo
Adrianza

They seem like AAA hitters.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#30 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,898 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:24 PM

>hmm 45

The opener skews stats, ruins the feel of the game for me (and millions of others I’m sure)

But why?Game score is just a fabricated stat.You can still look at the box score and see Gonsalves threw 6 shutout innings.

I don't see how it ruins the feel the of the game.I get how we are ingrained to watching baseball as you have a starter who goes as long as he can in a game. It's the way it's been done for so long. How much more does it "ruin the feel" to have a guy go 1 inning, the next guy go 6 rather than the starter go 6, then bringing in another guy to go 1?Are you really going to be so turned off by going from Moya to Gonsalves in the 2nd inning instead of the other way around in the 6th inning that you are going to turn off the game?

In theory, if your starter can go the same amount of innings starting in inning 2, you could really limit when you use the back end of the bullpen.  

• ashburyjohn likes this

#31 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:11 PM

>hmm 45

If it meant a dozen fewer runs scored over the course of a season it might translate into an extra win statistically and possible two. If you knew it would be worth two extra wins over the course of a season would it help you get over the feel of the game issue.How about one game?Would be meaningless most seasons but every once in a great while it is the difference in making the playoffs or not.Would you sacrifice that possibility your traditional view of the game?Maybe you would and that is fine but maybe you would look at it differently. Of course the hard part is determining exactly how much it does impact the season. Didn't work well for a few games and has now worked well for a few. Thosepluses and minuses should still result in fewer runs over the course of the season.Again we are talking not a lot of runs but if I thought it was worth a dozen runs over the course of the season I would be for it. Its not for your front line starters anyway.

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief and Mike Sixel like this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#32 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:26 AM

I actually kind of dig it.I just think it's so interesting.  

I have to admit that I like it too. I love the fact that teams are willing to mess with "conventional wisdom" and try something a bit different. Let the "started" pitch an inning or two and then turn it over to another pitcher ... or three. I think it's worth trying.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stephen gonsalves, tyler austin, willians astudillo, ehire adrianza, robbie grossman