Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Daily Roundtable: Biggest Off-Season Need

bryon buxton miguel sano jose berrios max kepler jorge polanco
  • Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 02:25 PM

Love the Grienke Idea and some of the others. But the more I look into Escobar's (I love his flexibility) numbers is he really the guy the twins want to give starter money to?

I guess it depends what he'll cost.There certainly would be a point at which I walk away.

But 8-10M and I'm in.

• Twins33 and Tomj14 like this

#22 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 02:57 PM

The biggest need is a manager. If the front office is not good at player communication, the manager must bridge that gap. The manager must know how to fill in a lineup card. The manager must know how to read pitchers when they are on the mound. The manager must know how to utilize young pitchers (particularly in their first appearance) and young position players (let them play).

Molitor checks one box: The owners like him. That's it. Suck it up, executives, and find someone else.

The Twins will have Sano, Buxton and Polanco back. Pineda might be OK. Maybe they can get Santana for another year. I anticipate the market for Dozier will be zipadeedoodah so he might end up back, too. Escobar probably cashes in somewhere else -- good for him -- and he's a regression candidate anyway.

Even though 2018 didn't work out, the FO did a good job of picking at the players who were available. They didn't quite know when to stop (Morrison?) and hopefully learned to not sign a starting pitcher too late. Overall the advice is ... give it another try and pick up players who are available who look like upgrades ... but this time with a new manager. And learn how to communicate. Baseball is a team sport, executives can't treat themselves like members of a country club and expect to win games. It's either work hard and win or take it easy and hope for the best ... as they did with Buxton.

Edited by Doomtints, 19 September 2018 - 02:59 PM.

• glunn, gunnarthor, jud6312 and 1 other like this

#23 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,578 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 02:58 PM

I guess it depends what he'll cost.There certainly would be a point at which I walk away.

But 8-10M and I'm in.

? Isn't he signed for a couple more years? Not sure I understand....

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#24 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,578 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 02:59 PM

The biggest need is a manager. If the front office is not good at player communication, the manager must bridge that gap. The manager must know how to fill in a lineup card. The manager must know how to read pitchers when they are on the mound. The manager must know how to utilize young pitchers (particularly in their first appearance) and young position players (let them play).

Molitor checks one box: The owners like him. That's it. Suck it up, executives, and find someone else.

The Twins will have Sano, Buxton and Polanco back. Pineda might be OK. Maybe they can get Santana for another year. I anticipate the market for Dozier will be zipadeedoodah so he might end up back, too. Escobar probably cashes in somewhere else -- good for him -- and he's a regression candidate anyway.

Even though 2018 didn't work out, the FO did a good job of picking at the players who were available. They didn't quite know when to stop (Morrison?) and hopefully learned to not sign a starting pitcher too late. Overall the advice is ... give it another try and pick up players who are available who look like upgrades ... but this time with a new manager. And learn how to communicate.

Why would you want Santana? Like, I have no idea why.....why would you want Dozier? Seriously, bringing back the same roster isn't good enough, not even a little. If they aren't going to add serious talent, just call up Rooker and Wade and Gordon......and start the process.

• Twins33, rghrbek, SF Twins Fan and 2 others like this

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,578 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:02 PM

On Corbin....MLB.com is predicting around a 150MM or more contract....since he's younger than Darvish....

#26 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:03 PM

? Isn't he signed for a couple more years? Not sure I understand....

Sorry, i was referring to Escobar.

Grienke has 3 years and about 100M left. 

Edited by TheLeviathan, 19 September 2018 - 03:03 PM.

• 70charger likes this

#27 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:03 PM

Why would you want Santana? Like, I have no idea why.....why would you want Dozier? Seriously, bringing back the same roster isn't good enough, not even a little. If they aren't going to add serious talent, just call up Rooker and Wade and Gordon......and start the process.

I haven't wanted Dozier since the 103 loss season where it was proven that his leadoff power was useless. But, alas, the market wasn't there. Nevertheless, I can see him coming back.

As for Santana, it depends on the price. I think it would be unlikely for him to suddenly be a 5.00+ ERA guy, and if he is just waive him and call it a day. Obviously the price has to be right for this to be worth trying. However, I would bet Santana goes to Detroit, Chicago, or back to KC, where they are all really desperate.

Edited by Doomtints, 19 September 2018 - 03:06 PM.

• glunn likes this

#28 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,624 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:05 PM

But 8-10M and I'm in.

Greinke is under contract, right? You'll have to eat some of his salary (don't care there), but you'll have to send someone(s) away. I'd be fine with that. We have too much pitching at the high levels, and they will have to go at some point, so if it meant sending over someone not named Thrope, Romero, or Graterol, I'd probably be good with it. 

On that note, I kind of wonder what the Realmuto sweepstakes will look like this offseason. I could see the Marlins dealing him since they seem to be deathly allergic to contracts. 

• glunn likes this

#29 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:07 PM

Greinke is under contract, right? You'll have to eat some of his salary (don't care there), but you'll have to send someone(s) away. I'd be fine with that. We have too much pitching at the high levels, and they will have to go at some point, so if it meant sending over someone not named Thrope, Romero, or Graterol, I'd probably be good with it. 

On that note, I kind of wonder what the Realmuto sweepstakes will look like this offseason. I could see the Marlins dealing him since they seem to be deathly allergic to contracts. 

Arizona may give up Grienke as a partial dump.They simply can't afford Corbin/Pollack/Goldschmidt and to keep him.

You'll have to give up something, but if the Twins agree to take his whole contract the price might be pretty reasonable.(I think it may even be cheap)

• glunn, diehardtwinsfan, Twins33 and 4 others like this

#30 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,578 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:11 PM

Sorry, i was referring to Escobar.

Grienke has 3 years and about 100M left. 

Heh, reading comprehension fail!

• Tomj14 likes this

#31 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:25 PM

Biggest need is about 3 Eduardo Escobars in the lineup and a bullpen overhaul.Turn half the walkoff losses into wins and we're sniffing .500.

• glunn likes this

#32 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,968 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:30 PM

Arizona may give up Grienke as a partial dump. They simply can't afford Corbin/Pollack/Goldschmidt and to keep him.

You'll have to give up something, but if the Twins agree to take his whole contract the price might be pretty reasonable. (I think it may even be cheap)

The Twins should use their financial flexibility to their advantage. Take on the full amount of a contract for a cheaper price. Something to think about with Grienke, or even Scherzer if the Nationals decide to blow everything up.
  • USAFChief, glunn, Twins33 and 4 others like this

#33 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:31 PM

Lots and lots more talent...... 1B, 2B, SS, CF, DH, and at least one more SP they can count on....oh, and 2-3 RPs. So, ya, lots of things..... but if I have to pick one thing to add, it would be a SP that is a 2/3 for the next 4 years.....give or take. That would be huge for this team. Kiriloff and Lewis are coming, as are Rooker and Weil and Gordon. What they really need is a really good starting pitcher (or 2 very good RPs).

Or how about we actually take a step back for one season (maybe half?) and focus on cleansing the roster of expiring assets, along with aquiring young ML talent.

Rather than signing 10 FA not named Manny Machado this offseason, I’d prefer the Twins FO to be out in the trade market targeting any one of these guys:

(ARI) (SS/2B) Ketel Marte
(BAL) (1B/OF) Trey Mancini
(TBR) (RHP) Yonny Chirinos
(OAK) (RHP) Frankie Montas
(NYY) (LHP) Justus Sheffield
(NYY) (RHP) Chance Adams
(HOU) (C/OF) Garret Stubbs
(PHI) (3B/SS) J.P. Crawford
(TBR) (UTL) Joey Wendle
  • glunn and Einheri like this

#34 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:03 PM

The Twins should use their financial flexibility to their advantage. Take on the full amount of a contract for a cheaper price. Something to think about with Grienke, or even Scherzer if the Nationals decide to blow everything up.

That's the method behind my madness!

• USAFChief, glunn and Vanimal46 like this

#35 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,869 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:04 PM

You cannot just go out and get a new team. Therefore I only see one avenue to turn this roster into a competitive team next year. It starts with the players who were supposed to carry us. Sano, Buxton, and Berrios. Assuming Castro is back and healthy, him and Garver are going to have to do. I would hang on to Astudillo this year for insurance, since both Garver and Castro are not a sure thing. I find a defensive SS and move Polanco to second. (He should be there already) if I can field an OF of Rosario, Buxton, and Kepler with Cave the fourth man, I would live with that. Plus Austin plays some OF. I am not a fan of Sano's or Austin's gloves, but I think I would start there if Sano shows up IN SHAPE. A good SS and Polanco playing closer to first will mitigated Austins lack of leather. Robbie leaves and we find another decent corner IF to rotate at DH with Sano and Austin. As usual the bull pen will be a crapshoot, and I still don't like Hildy as a closer. I still would prefer May to close in this current group. Finally they will have to,spend some money on SP. I don't know how else to acquire it. I do look for Romero to be in the rotation. I know this looks a lot like a current roster, but we still need Buxton and Sano to produce. If they don't, this whole team basically implodes, yet again. And finally, for goodness sakes, get a new manager. I cannot stress this enough. Anyone who sees Jorge Polanco as a MLB SS, has no business managing a team in this league!
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#36 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,968 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:09 PM

Or how about we actually take a step back for one season (maybe half?) and focus on cleansing the roster of expiring assets, along with aquiring young ML talent

Did you miss the 2018 season? Other than acquiring young ML talent that's exactly what they did. Edit: I take that back, they DID acquire young ML talent too (Austin and Cave)

For all of those players you suggested, that's going to take, you know, talent. There's not much of that left at the ML level.

Edited by Vanimal46, 19 September 2018 - 04:10 PM.

• ChrisKnutson and SF Twins Fan like this

#37 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,980 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:15 PM

The 2018 Twins are below league-average in runs scored.

They are also worse than average in runs against.

Manny Machado or Clayton Kershaw, alone, would not fix things.

I'm unable to address the question as stated. The needs are too vast.

Or, maybe I'll address it as: The Twins biggest off-season need is for the new front office to distinguish themselves, after a couple of years of seeming analysis resulting in some hopeful groundwork being laid in the minors, but only so-so results (if that) in the majors.

• glunn, spycake, Hosken Bombo Disco and 3 others like this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#38 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:47 PM

No one else may agree with this, but I would put Lewis at SS and leave him there.

He's not ready yet. No reason to burn away three years of control while his bat waits to catch up.

I think Buxton would be a strong indicator of this. 

• Minny505 likes this

#39 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:53 PM

On Corbin....MLB.com is predicting around a 150MM or more contract....since he's younger than Darvish....

And it sounds like he is from NY so I heard that the Yankees will probably push to sign him. 

#40 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 05:01 PM

Sign Keuchel or Morton, Herrera, Donaldson, Iglesias and Pollock.

SP - Keuchel/Morton, Berrios, Gibson, Odorizzi, Romero/Stewart/Pineda/Gonsalves

RP - Herrera, Hildenberger, Rogers, May, Reed, ?,?

C - Castro, Garver (Astudillo in AAA)

1B - Sano, Kepler

2B - Polanco

SS - Iglesias, Adrianza

3B - Donaldson, Sano

OF - Rosario, Buxton, Pollock, Kepler, Cave

DH - Rotation of Donaldson, Sano and OF'ers

I don't know if this is feasible salary-wise, but I do know that they are shedding a ton of salary this year.

• USAFChief, glunn, Twins33 and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bryon buxton, miguel sano, jose berrios, max kepler, jorge polanco