Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Pedro Florimon vs Brian Dozier

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

Guess its the battle for the starting SS spot next year.
Think many people would be surprised to find out that Florimon is actually 6months older than Dozier....which has been one of Brian's main detractions from fans/media.

Twins would lead you to believe that Florimon is a slick fielding/smooth MLB style SS but his defense has statistically been far worse in his 24gms than Dozier was in his 83gms @ SS.
Pedro 24gms 5 errors (3 fielding) .954 Fld Pct....-2.2UZR -21.4UZR/150gms 15 OOZ plays(out of zone)
Dozier 83gms 15errors (6 fielding) .964Fld Pct...-0.8UZR -1.5UZR/150gms 39OOZ plays

Dozier .234/.271/.332 33runs 6HR 33RBI 9/11sb 17.1K% 4.7bb%
Pedro .253/.314/.367 12runs 0HR 5RBI 2/2sb 18.4K% 8.0bb%

Florimon has never put up an offensive year close to what Dozier has done in the minors leading most to believe Dozier has far more upside with the bat

Maybe Im wrong, but I think many people are very happy with Florimon's performance but it has been only as equal or even below to what Dozier was doin, & he doesnt have much to improve on offensively

#2 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:02 PM

I'll take Florimon's defense or Dozier's whatever the hell he offers. I don't think he's ever gonna hit like he showed in the minors and I don't think his defense will ever carry him enough.

#3 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

From what I've seen from Florimon, his defense is noticeably better. However, I think Dozier will hit enough to offset it. His defense is fine, probably more of a 2b, but don't think he is a disaster.

#4 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

I prefer Florimon defensively, I think over a larger sample his stats would be superior in the field, he certainly looks more comfortable than Dozier. I can see Dozier playing 2B but it's going to on the strength of his bat, his defense will likely end up being adequate but he'll never be able to stay up with the team as a + defender.

#5 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

May we have another choice?

#6 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,073 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

I'll take the better defender and it looks like Florimon just using my eyes. I'd like to Escobar man the position to see what he can do.

Offensively I'm just not going to worry too much about the difference between .220 and .240. Unless Tulo comes to town and wears a Twins Jersey. Give me Defense.

#7 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

You can have an Escobar.

#8 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

not as long as Gardy is the manager & TR is the GM

#9 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

I would also rather see Escobar at SS if we're going with internal options. He seems to be the most reliable fielder when it comes to routine plays, has good range and a good arm as well. From the games I've seen him play, he has shown to be a good situational hitter and he's also 2 years younger than either player. He has the highest ceiling between the 3 IMO.

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,348 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

not as long as Gardy is the manager & TR is the GM

I'm rather meh on the whole lot of them, but it appears the braintrust have talked themselves into forcing Florimon into the spot for 2013 and stats nothwithstanding, he does play the position more confidently and athletically and with a better arm. That leaves Escobar and Dozier fighting for 2B and Carroll as the UI. I'll speculate that the Twins declare 3B "open" and set up a competition for the spot between Dozier and Plouffe. However it finally shakes out, there will be huge needs to fill the glaring hole in MI positional depth in Rochester, as little to nothing is coming through to them from New Britain. Escobar and Dozier could very well be the starting Red Wing Middle Infielders in 2013- which hopefully means that the Twins acquired someone better in the offseason...there are published reports that a "certain" Orioles SS ( who just moved into the #1 spot for ESPN's AL SS WAR rankings at 3.1 http://espn.go.com/m...ARBR/order/true ) might be replaced by an up-and-coming phenom in Baltimore...naw, "not as long as Gardy is the manager & TR is the GM".

#11 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

Florimon [..] defense has statistically been far worse in his 24gms than Dozier was in his 83gms @ SS.
Pedro 24gms 5 errors (3 fielding) .954 Fld Pct....-2.2UZR -21.4UZR/150gms 15 OOZ plays(out of zone)
Dozier 83gms 15errors (6 fielding) .964Fld Pct...-0.8UZR -1.5UZR/150gms 39OOZ plays

OK, what was Dozier's defense like through 24 games?

Florimon is passing the eyeball test with me. One of his errors was a routine grounder that took a bad bounce (but he should have fielded it), could just be rookie nerves. Also, Florimon has made one error in the past 10 games. I have seen him make plays I can't imagine Dozier making.

http://mlb.mlb.com/v...v=3<br /><br />

Edited by powrwrap, 12 September 2012 - 04:44 PM.

[FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#000000]"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." [/COLOR][/FONT]

#12 Coach J

Coach J

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

Sign Nick Punto in the offseason?

#13 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

Well it makes sense for Florimon to be at SS and Dozier at 2B this September to see how that works. Oh wait a minute. They somehow didn't make that obvious decision.

#14 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

Well it makes sense for Florimon to be at SS and Dozier at 2B this September to see how that works. Oh wait a minute. They somehow didn't make that obvious decision.

They needed Dozier to help Slama with his pickoff move to 2nd.

#15 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

Dozier needs to prove to himself that he can hit at the AAA level. Then he can be brought back up. A deal is made to send Nishi back to Japan. That leaves us with Florimon, Escobar & Carroll to play middle infield. Plouffe will be OK at 3rd until Sano is ready for the "Show". The rest of the Twins hitters are solid.

#16 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

Dozier's going to need to hit I think before he gets a shot to start again. Needs in the middle infield are high, and unless one of these guys is going to hit better in the majors than he has in the minors, none should be taken as a serious solution.

#17 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

Think many people would be surprised to find out that Florimon is actually 6months older than Dozier....which has been one of Brian's main detractions from fans/media.

Twins would lead you to believe that Florimon is a slick fielding/smooth MLB style SS but his defense has statistically been far worse in his 24gms than Dozier was in his 83gms @ SS.

Florimon has never put up an offensive year close to what Dozier has done in the minors leading most to believe Dozier has far more upside with the bat

Maybe Im wrong, but I think many people are very happy with Florimon's performance but it has been only as equal or even below to what Dozier was doin, & he doesnt have much to improve on offensively

The additional issues with Dozier and the hints from the front office regarding Dozier are about not being in the right position before the play starts and some other issues that involved decision making and not stats. Not sure how big of a deal these are, but my guess is that considering Gardy was pretty high on him, I'd bet that they played just as big a role as his lack of hitting (though hitting below .200 in AAA certainly didn't help). That's speculation on my part, but I don't think he gets called back up unless he starts hitting well, clears up those issues or in the case of injuries.

#18 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,348 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:49 PM

The additional issues with Dozier and the hints from the front office regarding Dozier are about not being in the right position before the play starts and some other issues that involved decision making and not stats. Not sure how big of a deal these are, but my guess is that considering Gardy was pretty high on him, I'd bet that they played just as big a role as his lack of hitting (though hitting below .200 in AAA certainly didn't help). That's speculation on my part, but I don't think he gets called back up unless he starts hitting well, clears up those issues or in the case of injuries.

"(though hitting below .200 in AAA certainly didn't help) "

I agree with your overall assessment, but, to be fair, at AAA he did bat .276 with an OPS of .710 before his call-up, coming off of a terrific 2011 year in AA/A+ (BA .320/OPS .890). Culminating with his last disastrous media interview, Dozier clearly had crumbled under the pressures of the season-long spotlight- on a struggling team that has made a convenient habit of finding convenient scapegoats when the timing was right- it was not surprising that his struggles continued late-season in Roc.

As I also speculated- and am in agreement with you, he has a long road back. It's possible that they put him up next spring as "competition" with Plouffe for the 3B job, with the intention of giving him the SS job again at a depleted Rochester infield. (The logical move is trying him out at the lower-pressure job at 2B, but it appears that the Twins aren't looking in that direction).

#19 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

I agree with your overall assessment, but, to be fair, at AAA he did bat .276 with an OPS of .710 before his call-up, coming off of a terrific 2011 year in AA/A+ (BA .320/OPS .890). Culminating with his last disastrous media interview, Dozier clearly had crumbled under the pressures of the season-long spotlight- on a struggling team that has made a convenient habit of finding convenient scapegoats when the timing was right- it was not surprising that his struggles continued late-season in Roc.

As I also speculated- and am in agreement with you, he has a long road back. It's possible that they put him up next spring as "competition" with Plouffe for the 3B job, with the intention of giving him the SS job again at a depleted Rochester infield. (The logical move is trying him out at the lower-pressure job at 2B, but it appears that the Twins aren't looking in that direction).

This may be splitting hairs, but his earlier higher average in AAA was due to an amazing first two weeks. He was in the start of the slump when called up.

I've also pointed out elsewhere, as have others that it's very dangerous to put too much stock in those A+/AA numbers as he was among the oldest players in those minor leagues. .As I've said, he has yet to show sustained success at a "developmentally appropriate" level.

So, imo, his overall struggles both at AAA and the majors are not all that surprising, but I definitely agree that the Twins handled him extremely poorly.

I don't think they've scapegoated him, but for an organization that is usually patient with players in the minor leagues, and even if they weren't his original call-up wasn't warranted or needed.

#20 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,348 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

This may be splitting hairs, but his earlier higher average in AAA was due to an amazing first two weeks. He was in the start of the slump when called up.

I've also pointed out elsewhere, as have others that it's very dangerous to put too much stock in those A+/AA numbers as he was among the oldest players in those minor leagues. .As I've said, he has yet to show sustained success at a "developmentally appropriate" level.

So, imo, his overall struggles both at AAA and the majors are not all that surprising, but I definitely agree that the Twins handled him extremely poorly.

I don't think they've scapegoated him, but for an organization that is usually patient with players in the minor leagues, and even if they weren't his original call-up wasn't warranted or needed.

In late-April, early-May, just before his call-up, Dozier batted .310/OPS .739 in his last 8 games, so it appears he was not in the start of a slump, but rather, was just coming out of his late-April slump quite nicely.

Having said that, I agree that he has a long way to go to prove himself as an above-replacement level player. I think he has Nick Punto-type upside (for better or worse), if he gets past his well-documented mental and physical hurdles.

#21 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

Fair enough I guess. I was going a bit off of memory, and it does look like his May numbers were a bit better. His three games in Sept, he actually hit pretty well also, but overall an unimpressive body of work this season.

Either way, it does look like we agree, sadly, on his upside.

#22 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

dont agree with this assesment of Dozier.
With a May 15 bday, he was 24 for his entire AA run & that is older than I like BUT this year alone.....Romero, Collabello, DeLos Santos, Hermann, Hanson, Tosoni & Benson were all older than 24 & Doziers AA numbers were as good as anyones (for position comparison anyways).
At Ft Myers, he was still 23 & this year alone Rams, Liddle, Goncalves, Knudson, Leer, Hidalgo & Gonzalez were 23 or older.
He just needs to find his stroke again & start drawing some more walks. If his hitting gets back to reasonable, MN will find a spot.....tho I believe he is slightly in the doghouse.

Edited by greengoblinrulz, 12 September 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#23 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

I believe that Dozier will start at Rochester, probably after a quick spring demotion. He will have to hit to make it back. Twins will go with Floriman, Escobar and Carroll in the infield. Pressure will be on if Rosario starts in New Britian as he will have about a year to make it back, before the lower minor league talent catches up to him. This may only change if the Twins tender Casilla, but do not see this happening.

#24 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

We got a whole slew of backups and need at least one stud from outside of the organization for 2b/SS and hope Plouffe can hit homers and equal his 2012 play for another season. Carroll and one plus an organizational outsider. The other two join Tosi at AAA for most of the season.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#25 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

[quote name='jokin'][quote name='Alex'][quote name='greengoblinrulz']Guess its the battle for the starting SS spot next year.

Maybe Im wrong, but I think many people are very happy with Florimon's performance but it has been only as equal or even below to what Dozier was doin, & he doesnt have much to improve on offensively[/QUOTE]

The additional issues with Dozier and the hints from the front office regarding Dozier are about not being in the right position before the play starts and some other issues that involved decision making and not stats. Not sure how big of a deal these are, but my guess is that considering Gardy was pretty high on him, I'd bet that they played just as big a role as his lack of hitting (though hitting below .200 in AAA certainly didn't help). That's speculation on my part, but I don't think he gets called back up unless he starts hitting well, clears up those issues or in the case of injuries.[/QUOTE]

As I also speculated- and am in agreement with you, he has a long road back. It's possible that they put him up next spring as "competition" with Plouffe for the 3B job, with the intention of giving him the SS job again at a depleted Rochester infield. (The logical move is trying him out at the lower-pressure job at 2B, but it appears that the Twins aren't looking in that direction).[/QUOTE]

Great post, Jokin, though I find it absurd to think he has a "long road" back. Clearly the non-September callup indicates that. But they are just not intelligent there. THE TWINS made the mistake first by calling him up before he had done anything at AAA (I know AAA "doesn't matter" but .. . . clearly it does), then sticking with him for 6 weeks after he started to REALLY plummet down, down, down. He isn't to blame for that total mismanagement.

The answer seems painfully obvious. Start 2013 with Florimon at short and Dozier at 2B. Carroll is the true utility infielder for all three positions. Escobar needs to prove that he can hit AT ALL, so he can start the season at AAA. If either Florimon or Dozier start to suck, stick Carroll in as the starter and KEEP the other one up as the utility player. Carroll is finally rounding out to his expectations with a .260/.340 slash. That works as a utility guy and potential starter.

Meanwhile, as I have posted elsewhere, the Twins should trade Morneau to the Red Sox for Allen Webster and Garin Cecchini (and if up to half of Morneau's salary needs to be paid by the Twins, so be it). Webster seems Hendriksesque (the minor league version of Hendriks) and Cecchini is a good 3B prospect. They would likely start out at AAA and AA, respectively. Cecchini provides much need Plouffe protection in case Plouffe doesn't right that ship.

#26 Wolfy

Wolfy

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:05 AM

This is an easy question.

Florimon will be the starting SS when the team comes north next year...and it is the right choice.

Dozier ain't got it. He's just another career minor-leaguer forced to play in a situation that is way over his head because the Twins didn't have anybody else. Dozier, Plouffe, Valencia, Hughes, Dinkleman, etc;....the list is endless.

#27 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:01 AM

I'll take Escobar, better than the other 2 defensively.

#28 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

With a May 15 bday, he was 24 for his entire AA run & that is older than I like BUT this year alone.....Romero, Collabello, DeLos Santos, Hermann, Hanson, Tosoni & Benson were all older than 24 & Doziers AA numbers were as good as anyones (for position comparison anyways).

He's on the older end in terms of actual major league prospects, so citing a bunch of guys who are older and in AA in a relatively poor farm system doesn't really contradict the argument. The Twins will likely have real prospects in AA next year (or shortly after) who are much younger.

Edited by Alex, 13 September 2012 - 01:07 PM.

#29 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

He's on the older end in terms of actual major league prospects, so citing a bunch of guys who are older and in AA in a relatively poor farm system doesn't really contradict the argument. The Twins will likely have real prospects in AA next year (or shortly after) who are much younger.

Again I disagree with this.....Dozier was a 4 yr senior (big knock on him) who was only an 8th round pick (only 2 Twins 8th rounders in past 20yrs made majors w/Dinkelman the other). Especially in terms of Twins prospects, he moved to AA in less than 2 calender yrs & majors in less than 3....nova speed for MN.
Guys like Romero & DeLos Santos were on the 40 man roster in the past...before being removed as busts...and Tosoni & Benson were major leaguers last yr.....were all highly thought of prospects that have disappointed
Guess Im just surprised that nobody has a problem with Florimon bein 6months older than Dozier....while writing him off so soon.

#30 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

Again I disagree with this.....Dozier was a 4 yr senior (big knock on him) who was only an 8th round pick (only 2 Twins 8th rounders in past 20yrs made majors w/Dinkelman the other). Especially in terms of Twins prospects, he moved to AA in less than 2 calender yrs & majors in less than 3....nova speed for MN.
Guys like Romero & DeLos Santos were on the 40 man roster in the past...before being removed as busts...and Tosoni & Benson were major leaguers last yr.....were all highly thought of prospects that have disappointed
Guess Im just surprised that nobody has a problem with Florimon bein 6months older than Dozier....while writing him off so soon.

That's fine if you disagree, but your counterpoints continue to make the case against having high expectations for Dozier based on AA numbers as a 24. The players you mention have seen their status fall and their big league stints were uninspiring.

My points are far less a knock on Dozier than that I think way too many expectations have been laid upon him. Just because Dozier made the majors after three years doesn't mean he should have and that's the point about using his AA numbers as a 24 year old to evaluate him. They didn't tell us anything about how ready (or in this case, not ready) he was for the majors. On top of that, we're talking about 78 games in AA (hence my us of the phrase "sustained success").

Personally, I'd have liked to see him at AAA for a full season (not unlike what they did with Parmelee even though they botched that a couple of times) and that would have given a much better picture of where he was at. At this point, I honestly think this was, at best, a lost and wasted year of development for him. At worst, this could have ruined him for the long run.

Regarding the Florimon comparison. If you are going to have a SS who can't hit, it's probably better to have one that has a better arm and better range. That said, it's not really an issue of Dozier or Florimon (or Esocobar); the Twins MI situation is dire and there's not anything in the near future that looks to change that.