Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

What's a Blue Wahoo? Might Want to Find Out

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 05:25 PM

Hearing from multiple sources that the Twins have had discussions with Pensacola about a possible AA agreement, though Pensacola (of which I believe Bubba Watson is a minority owner) is also considering re-upping with the Reds.

Pensacola has a relatively new, modern facility. It would be a great fit for the Twins.

• Seth Stohs, glunn, birdwatcher and 5 others like this

Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#2 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:07 PM

I did a year of my medical training in Pensacola and was an assistant team physician for the Wahoos during the end of the first and the beginning of the second year the stadium was open. It won, if I recall correctly, an award for the best new stadium in all of baseball (and it was the same year the new Mets stadium opened). It is a fantastic venue. Would be very cool to have the Twins affiliate there (just another reason to visit such a beautiful place). 

Also, a blue wahoo is a type of fish that is common in local waters. Didn't catch any wahoo while I was there, but caught a lot of red drum and red snapper. Also caught a big grouper- maybe 25 lbs. 

• glunn, birdwatcher, Cory Engelhardt and 9 others like this

#3 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:18 PM

I did a year of my medical training in Pensacola and was an assistant team physician for the Wahoos during the end of the first and the beginning of the second year the stadium was open. It won, if I recall correctly, an award for the best new stadium in all of baseball (and it was the same year the new Mets stadium opened). It is a fantastic venue. Would be very cool to have the Twins affiliate there (just another reason to visit such a beautiful place). 

Also, a blue wahoo is a type of fish that is common in local waters. Didn't catch any wahoo while I was there, but caught a lot of red drum and red snapper. Also caught a big grouper- maybe 25 lbs. 

I kind of figured it had to be a fish of some sort. Have to say, I prefer "Blue Wahoos" as a team nickname over the "Red Drums"! :)

• glunn, Heezy1323, David HK and 2 others like this

Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

#4 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,493 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:56 AM

My first thought is that was a play on the Cleveland Indians... probably good that it wasn't. 

• glunn, Wookiee of the Year, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this

#5 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Administrators
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:07 AM

Isn't Chattanooga building a new stadium? Or at least there is a proposal for one?

• glunn likes this
Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#6 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 491 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:07 AM

It's interesting how often the minor league teams change affiliations. It would be a great move for the Twins if the facilities are as nice as advertised, however I do really like the logo of the Lookouts.

Also, you wonder if proximity to Fort Myers plays into this at all since it would be easier for the Twins to move players back and forth between High A and AA.

Edited by SF Twins Fan, 19 September 2018 - 10:07 AM.

• glunn, beckmt and caninatl04 like this

#7 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:13 AM

It's interesting how often the minor league teams change affiliations. It would be a great move for the Twins if the facilities are as nice as advertised, however I do really like the logo of the Lookouts.

Also, you wonder if proximity to Fort Myers plays into this at all since it would be easier for the Twins to move players back and forth between High A and AA.

FWIW, Chattanooga is about 200 miles closer to Pensacola than Fort Myers. Florida is a big state.

• Thrylos, Cory Engelhardt, Oldgoat_MN and 2 others like this

#8 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 491 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:52 AM

FWIW, Chattanooga is about 200 miles closer to Pensacola than Fort Myers. Florida is a big state.

Understood, but they would be moving their AA team from Chattanooga to Pensacola meaning their High A and AA would then be closer together.

• jokin, caninatl04 and Nine of twelve like this

#9 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:12 AM

Understood, but they would be moving their AA team from Chattanooga to Pensacola meaning their High A and AA would then be closer together.

You are correct- apologies. Had this backward in my head for some reason.

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,399 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:14 AM

I would think we would hear something soon. 

• glunn likes this

#11 nowheresville

nowheresville

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:33 PM

I'd be very surprised if we don't know by the end of the week.

All the shuffling has already been decided on both the AAA and High-A levels. Even in the levels that are left, it seems like once one domino falls, everything else should shape up pretty quickly. 

From the little I've been able to gather, Pensacola's franchise seems like they are the side more interested in splitting from the Reds, and their facilities are a fair bit nicer than Chattanooga, so it could be a chance for the Twins to upgrade. 

As far as what is a Blue Wahoo, whatever that is, it's better than the name for the new Huntsville team: The Rocket City Trash Pandas.

• glunn likes this

#12 lamiwe21

lamiwe21

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:26 PM

https://www.pnj.com/...eds/1367958002/

This broke out among some of us Wahoos fans in early August. I welcome the change and hope it happens. I was told several times this year across the Southern League that teams and players were not happy with playing surface in Chattanooga. The Wahoos stadium plays big and favors pitchers, Its going to be easy getting players to Pensacola and Fort Myers. 

Crossing fingers this haappens. 

• ashburyjohn, glunn, birdwatcher and 5 others like this

#13 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,579 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:52 PM

This broke out among some of us Wahoos fans in early August. I welcome the change and hope it happens. I was told several times this year across the Southern League that teams and players were not happy with playing surface in Chattanooga. The Wahoos stadium plays big and favors pitchers, Its going to be easy getting players to Pensacola and Fort Myers. 

Crossing fingers this haappens. 

I see it's your first post. Welcome.

• glunn, IndianaTwin, tarheeltwinsfan and 3 others like this

If jail and prison are synonymous, why aren't jailer and prisoner?

#14 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,665 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:21 PM

Pensacola is practically a Mobile, AL suburb.

Selfishly, I'd love it if the Twins return to the Eastern League.

• glunn likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#15 nowheresville

nowheresville

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:41 PM

There are no openings in the Eastern League, so no chance of that happening. I'd say the worst case would be the Twins getting stuck in Midland.

That's a really interesting article though. I would not have expected the Padres to be in the mix for Pensacola. With the Padres having their High-A team in California, and their AAA team in El Paso, I would have assumed they'd welcome staying in the Texas League, especially with Amarillo getting a new team and facility.

The article also didn't mention the Cubs at all, who haven't officially renewed with Tennessee, although it seemed like that was likely to happen in earlier articles I had read. 

• glunn likes this

#16 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:47 PM

Looks like Pensacola is considering the Padres, in addition to the Twins and Reds.

• glunn likes this

#17 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:05 AM

Hope they decide soon, because I’ve got a Lookouts cap on my Christmas list, and there’s only 94 more shopping days. I might need to update that.
  • glunn, Mike Sixel, caninatl04 and 1 other like this

#18 nowheresville

nowheresville

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:33 AM

The other part of this article I really enjoyed at makes me excited about the possibility of a Pensacola partnership is how the team there is looking for a Major League team that they can really do a lot of cross promotions, a lot like we see in Cedar Rapids. Despite the distance, New Britain used to do a nice job of that - I loved their nb hat that was styled to look like the Twins "m" logo, and they had a lot of Mauer, Morneau, Ortiz items in their gift shop - but I didn't get the impression that Chattanooga ever did much to promote the relationship with the Twins. 

A side note, we won't be seeing ex-Twin Denny Hocking in Cedar Rapids again next year. He's with Seattle and had been the manager of the Clinton Lumberkings, but Clinton will be a Marlins affiliate next year, with the Mariners moving to West Virginia in the Sally League. 

• glunn, Mike Sixel and MN_ExPat like this

#19 etwinsfan

etwinsfan

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:37 PM

Selfishly I hope they stay in Chattanooga. It's an easy 3 hours drive from Etown plus they play in Kodak which is a little over an hour. I love traveling to see all the ones that game through Etown.
  • glunn and MN_ExPat like this

#20 nowheresville

nowheresville

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:44 PM

The President of the Wahoos did a radio interview this morning about the process of picking a new MLB team. Mostly the same stuff that was in the newpaper story, but a few little tidbits, like having the Twins also being in the Central Time Zone being a positive and hoping to use the partnership to encourage people to come to Pensacola's beaches (which would seem to make San Diego an underdog).

http://podcast.newsr...lue_Wahoos.html

• glunn and MN_ExPat like this