Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: MIN 6, DET 1: Stewart Impresses, Rosario Exits Due to Injury

kohl stewart eddie rosario jake cave
  • Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:24 PM

Kohl Stewart not only had his best outing so far with the Twins, but one of the better performances of any Twins rookie pitcher this season. Over his six innings of work, Stewart only gave up an unearned run on three hits and three walks. He recorded five strikeouts.

Eddie Rosario was forced to leave this game after aggravating the quad injury he suffered in late August.Snapshot (chart via FanGraphs)
Stewart: 6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 5 K, 59.3% strikes (51 of 86 pitches)
Home Runs: Rosario (24), Polanco (6)
Multi-Hit Games: Polanco (2-for-4, HR), Grossman (2-for-4, 2B)
WPA of 0.1 or higher: Stewart .230
WPA of -0.1 or lower: None
Download attachment: WinChart917.png
Gabriel Moya served as the opener for tonight’s game. He held the Tigers scoreless, giving up one hit while striking out a batter in the first. The last time Moya opened, he covered the first two innings, but this time it was only the first frame.

That’s where Stewart took over. He could have afforded to throw more strikes, though on the other hand, he did successfully keep Tigers hitters off balance. As is the norm, he relied heavily on his sinker and did a very nice job at limiting the damage. To my eyes, he also just looked really comfortable on the mound compared to some of his other outings.

The highlight of the game came from Jake Cave, who made another tremendous diving catch.

That play ended the third inning, the Twins responded with a four-run top of the fourth that included an RBI single from Cave.

It was station-to-station baseball that inning. Robbie Grossman led things off with a double, which was followed by the Cave single. Logan Forsythe and Ehire Adrianza added a couple more singles, bringing Cave around to score, then Willians Astudillo hit into a run-scoring ground out. Joe Mauer capped it all off with an RBI single of his own.

Rosario homered in the first inning and played the outfield for the first time since Sept. 7. It’ll probably be awhile before he’s out there again. Rosie slipped while fielding a ball and aggravated the quad injury he’s been dealing with since the end of August.

It looked pretty gruesome at first, he couldn’t get back up to throw the ball back to the infield, but after gathering himself, Eddie was able to walk off the field under his own power.

Postgame With Stewart

Next Three Games
Tue at DET, 6:10 pm CT: Jake Odorizzi vs. Daniel Norris
Wed at DET, 12:10 pm CT: TBD vs. Spencer Turnbull
Thu: Off
Fri at OAK, 9:05 pm CT: TBD

Last Three Games
MIN 9, KC 6: Twins Swat Four Homers, Avoid Sweep
KC 10, MIN 3: It’s a Hard Road
KC 8, MIN 4: OH THE HUMANITY!!!

Click here to view the article
  • glunn, Jerr, nicksaviking and 1 other like this

#2 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:33 PM

Cave is a keeper. NOT going to annoit Stewart anything at this point, but he shows enough to get his rapid rise thjs season. And he has looked just a little bit better each time out it seems. And he was pretty good tonight. You can say "it's just Detroit", but it was a road game against a ML team. I don't know his ceiling, or whether he should start or relieve, but I think he's protected and brought back for 2019. BTW...tip of the cap to Polanco. I still think his long foul ball was a HR. So he just goofs the next pitch to the seats! Awesome!
  • glunn, Jerr, diehardtwinsfan and 10 others like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#3 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,955 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:35 PM

How do you evaluate a primary pitcher like Stewart? There's a reason why they use an opener for him right? Is the hope he can be an actual starting pitcher next season?

Someone tell me how I'm supposed to feel.
  • mngopherguy likes this

#4 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:41 PM

How do you evaluate a primary pitcher like Stewart? There's a reason why they use an opener for him right? Is the hope he can be an actual starting pitcher next season?

I believe confused describes it.Imagine the first Opener to be named to the HOF!

• Dantes929, Vanimal46 and SF Twins Fan like this

#5 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,334 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:43 PM

EA355E83-584A-4327-B839-2396C22F0BFE.jpeg
  • ashburyjohn, glunn, mikelink45 and 6 others like this

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#6 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,564 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:16 PM

He pitched six innings and htave up one unearthed run, and you don't know how to feel?
  • beckmt, h2oface, bluechipper and 3 others like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#7 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,343 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 10:18 PM

Just keep letting Stewart pitch. I think he can be a solid ML pitcher for us but he'll have some growing pains.

• diehardtwinsfan, beckmt, bluechipper and 7 others like this

#8 Channing1964

Channing1964

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:32 AM

Oh my god Kohl Stewart for Cy Young 2019. L.M.M.F.A.O.

#9 Channing1964

Channing1964

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:35 AM

did i actually see someone call Detroit a major league team? If that were true then you'd have to assume the Twins were that too Is anyone really that naive?
  • mikelink45 and lukeduke1980 like this

#10 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 1,561 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 18 September 2018 - 05:55 AM

did i actually see someone call Detroit a major league team? If that were true then you'd have to assume the Twins were that too Is anyone really that naive?

La Tigres did just take two of three at Cleveland, so they had that going for them.

• blindeke and Original Whizzinator like this

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish saying

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,621 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:21 AM

encouraged? Considering that everyone had written him off...

If you want something that says that the new FO has changed development practices with Stewart, look at his progression. He actually started striking people out this year.

Now that said, I'm not sure they should count on him. He's got 3 options, I'd plan on using one next year and see if he continue to improve. Either that, or perhaps he's trade bait at some point. He's showing that he's probably ready to be a serviceable back end starter with some upside. Perhaps someone with a blocked player at one of our needy positions might flip him to fill one of theirs?

• ashburyjohn, LA VIkes Fan, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this

#12 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:28 AM

He pitched six innings and htave up one unearthed run, and you don't know how to feel?

Unearthed Run??? Did he change his name to Indiana Stewart the famed archeologist? ;)

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel, PDX Twin and 5 others like this

#13 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:29 AM

Snark much?? ;)

• Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#14 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:47 AM

encouraged? Considering that everyone had written him off...

If you want something that says that the new FO has changed development practices with Stewart, look at his progression. He actually started striking people out this year.

Pretty good point diehard.

I have spent more and more of my time in recent years around pitchers and pitching coaches. The single biggest development point that I have discovered...?? Repeatability of mechanics. "Stuff" can only carry you so far (although freakish spin rates can help :)).  

The pitchers who stick around and those who especially thrive all have one major thing in common, and that is they repeat their delivery time and again.

With Stewart, I believe we are starting to see that consistency. He's got the "stuff" to pitch (no, I do not care about what # starter he is... only that he can pitch) and we are starting to see the early fruits of that labor I think.

• ashburyjohn, birdwatcher, diehardtwinsfan and 3 others like this

#15 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,955 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:53 AM

Well he's not any # of starter in the rotation because he's a primary pitcher....

#16 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:02 AM

I'm glad to see he is progressing even if it's against Detroilet. I don't care if he's a regular starter, a "primary" starter or a future piece of the bullpen. All that matters to me is that he's able to get hitters out and having some success.

• TiberTwins, brvama, beckmt and 3 others like this

#17 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,972 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:03 AM

Well he's not any # of starter in the rotation because he's a primary pitcher....

If you want to make an issue of the Opener versus Starter topic, let me point out that this game worked almost perfectly as a way to squeeze an extra inning out of a nominal starter. Moya pitched the first inning, then Stewart came in and faced the #5 batter in the lineup to start the second inning. He faced the lineup twice, then saw the #5 through #9 batters a third time. That #9 batter made the third out of the seventh inning. So Kohl Stewart achieved his first 6-inning appearance in the majors.

You need more than one game to prove anything, and you need a better opponent than the 2018 Tiggers. I'm skeptical that games can be routinely choreographed to this level of detail. But, if someone asks you what the idea is behind the Opener strategy, this game is the example you might point to.

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, brvama and 15 others like this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#18 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:03 AM

I'm glad to see he is progressing even if it's against Detroilet. I don't care if he's a regular starter, a "primary" starter or a future piece of the bullpen. All that matters to me is that he's able to get hitters out and having some success.

This

• birdwatcher, TiberTwins, bighat and 1 other like this

#19 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:38 AM

Next spring is going to be interesting.Assuming the Twins don't sign any starters over the winter, their Top 4 starters next spring will likely be Berrios-Gibson-Odorizzi-Pineda.That leaves one opening for Mejia, Slegers, Stewart, DeJong, Romero, Littell and Thorpe.Doubt Thorpe will be ready and will start at Rochester.That leaves six others battling for one spot.Mejia is out of options, so all the others except one will be the eligible to be starters for the Red Wings.

Will the FO be comfortable going into the spring with that group?Or will they sign one veteran free agent just in case Pineda doesn't make it?With all those numbers, most likely scenario may be that we see a trade over the winter.

• RaymondLuxuryYacht likes this

#20 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,955 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:45 AM

If you want to make an issue of the Opener versus Starter topic, let me point out that this game worked almost perfectly as a way to squeeze an extra inning out of a nominal starter. Moya pitched the first inning, then Stewart came in and faced the #5 batter in the lineup to start the second inning. He faced the lineup twice, then saw the #5 through #9 batters a third time. That #9 batter made the third out of the seventh inning. So Kohl Stewart achieved his first 6-inning appearance in the majors.

You need more than one game to prove anything, and you need a better opponent than the 2018 Tiggers. I'm skeptical that games can be routinely choreographed to this level of detail. But, if someone asks you what the idea is behind the Opener strategy, this game is the example you might point to.

The opener vs. starter topic is pretty cut and dry to me. Did Stewart start the game? Since the answer is no, he's not a starter. Did the strategy work out this particular game? Yes.

What does that mean going forward with Stewart's evaluation? Is he going to continue being a primary pitcher? Why don't all starting pitchers use an opener? I'm sure Berrios could benefit entering the game against the opponent's #5 or #6 batter too.
  • slash129 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kohl stewart, eddie rosario, jake cave