Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2018 Vikings In Season Thread

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,705 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:14 AM

This is correct, they would lose cap room next year.

He's going to stay on the team, the question is what role should he have. I'd like to see Zylstra, but I'm also not in practice seeing what he is capable of.

It should be noted - Treadwell did catch a TD on a decent route where he found the soft spot in the zone. It's clear Cousins likes him too. It's a busted pick regardless, but he is a natural outside receiver that allows Thielen to be in the slot. I'm not sure Zylstra is anything but a slot guy.

Treadwell's role going forward should be #4 or 5 WR. Hell, maybe even deactivated over half the time.
  • LaBombo likes this

#2 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:14 AM

This is correct, they would lose cap room next year.

He's going to stay on the team, the question is what role should he have. I'd like to see Zylstra, but I'm also not in practice seeing what he is capable of.

It should be noted - Treadwell did catch a TD on a decent route where he found the soft spot in the zone. It's clear Cousins likes him too. It's a busted pick regardless, but he is a natural outside receiver that allows Thielen to be in the slot. I'm not sure Zylstra is anything but a slot guy.

If they are going to keep Treadwell around just to save a few bucks then they deserve what they get.

I'd cut Treadwell before Carlson.
At least Carlson's resume is short enough that you can convince yourself it's just one bad game. Treadwell has a pretty large sample size of being bad by now.
  • LaBombo likes this

#3 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:17 AM

Treadwell's role going forward should be #4 or 5 WR. Hell, maybe even deactivated over half the time.

You are the second poster I've seen say he should be a #4 instead of #3.
Is he going to play better just because he's listed 4th instead of third on the depth chart?
He can either play the position or he can't, does it really matter if he's a 3,4,5 or 8?

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,705 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:20 AM

You are the second poster I've seen say he should be a #4 instead of #3.
Is he going to play better just because he's listed 4th instead of third on the depth chart?
He can either play the position or he can't, does it really matter if he's a 3,4,5 or 8?

No, but I'm assuming he's staying on roster because the rest of his contract is guaranteed regardless. So if they can't release him without a penalty, or trade him (ha!) the only options left are bury him on the depth chart or deactivate him.
  • SF Twins Fan likes this

#5 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:23 AM

No, but I'm assuming he's staying on roster because the rest of his contract is guaranteed regardless. So if they can't release him without a penalty, or trade him (ha!) the only options left are bury him on the depth chart or deactivate him.

Or release him and take the penalty.

#6 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:25 AM

If they are going to keep Treadwell around just to save a few bucks then they deserve what they get.

I'd cut Treadwell before Carlson.
At least Carlson's resume is short enough that you can convince yourself it's just one bad game. Treadwell has a pretty large sample size of being bad by now.

It would be incredibly dumb to just cut him if it's going to negatively effect the CAP room they have. Just don't play him as often. He is a good blocking receiver. If you go back and watch the highlights you will see him a number of times down field helping block players allowing the player with the ball to get more yards.

• TheLeviathan likes this

#7 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,705 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:26 AM

Or release him and take the penalty.

If they can take the hit this year and still have some room for emergency signings later on in the season I'm all for it. Really I just want Treadwell off the field for now and figure out the logistics later.

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,297 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:41 AM

Also, how was the game Mike?

I'm guessing leaving was a strange atmosphere for a visiting fan with the tie against the arch rival and all. Or maybe the atmosphere was the same since everyone in Green Bay is accustomed to kissing their sisters.

The fans were drained. It was hot, humid, and long. The Packers fans around us were great, everyone was having fun. The atmosphere leaving was a mix of anger over the roughing call, relief of the miss, and frustration over the miss. But it was great. Go there sometime if you can.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 17 September 2018 - 11:42 AM.

• TheLeviathan and SF Twins Fan like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#9 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:14 PM

In the season predictions thread, I predicted 15-1

So, did anybody predict 15-0-1? :)

• ashburyjohn, nicksaviking, snepp and 2 others like this

#10 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:22 PM

There you have it.

#11 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,705 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:28 PM

Bailey is on the way!
  • nicksaviking, snepp, TheLeviathan and 2 others like this

#12 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:29 PM

#13 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,748 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:45 PM

Just to keep a bit of order. I'll be moving some of the posts from the Vikings/Packers thread here momentarily.

#14 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:45 PM

#15 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,748 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:51 PM

Hmm, I'm not big on WRs transitioning to new teams midseason. So if he's taking Carlson's spot, who's spot is Bailey taking?

This guy has basically followed Kyle Shanahan from Washington to Atlanta to San Francisco and the 49ers decided they didn't want him. Not sure I do either.

#16 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:01 PM

Hmm, I'm not big on WRs transitioning to new teams midseason. So if he's taking Carlson's spot, who's spot is Bailey taking?

This guy has basically followed Kyle Shanahan from Washington to Atlanta to San Francisco and the 49ers decided they didn't want him. Not sure I do either.

Yea I can't say I know much about him. I'm sure it's just to put some pressure on Treadwell to start making some catches.

#17 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,451 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:12 PM

If they can take the hit this year and still have some room for emergency signings later on in the season I'm all for it. Really I just want Treadwell off the field for now and figure out the logistics later.

The penalty would be next year.I think it's over 1M, which is not insignificant.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#18 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,748 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:27 PM

Yea I can't say I know much about him. I'm sure it's just to put some pressure on Treadwell to start making some catches.

I'd rather that pressure come from Coley and Zylstra. At least they've been around all off season or longer and know the system. Robinson is 30 and has never been able to carve out a meaningful role anywhere, I hope he doesn't eat away at any snaps that would otherwise go to the younger and higher upside backups currently on the team.

Probably no reason to be concerned though, I'd guess the organization that found a Pro Bowler from a community tryout probably knows better than to overlook the unknown in-house products.

#19 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:30 PM

I'd rather that pressure come from Coley and Zylstra. At least they've been around all off season or longer and know the system. Robinson is 30 and has never been able to carve out a meaningful role anywhere, I hope he doesn't eat away at any snaps that would otherwise go to the younger and higher upside backups currently on the team.

Probably no reason to be concerned though, I'd guess the organization that found a Pro Bowler from a community tryout probably knows better than to overlook the unknown in-house products.

I'd love to see Zylstra see more of the field. You wonder if his injury from the preseason is still effecting him. I wish the Vikes still had Jarius Wright. Would anyone have any interest in signing Dez or trying to trade for Josh Gordon?

#20 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,451 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:31 PM

The penalty would be next year.I think it's over 1M, which is not insignificant.

I am not sure about next year, but cutting him would essentially prevent us from signing Bailey or any other reinforcements.