Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

The Off Season: Part I

draft
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 737 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 10:41 AM

I wish I was writing about the playoffs.But, alas, I am thinking ahead.Although I am not optimistic about 2019, there is much to be done this offseason.

It looks like the Twins will be drafting around #10.They should also get a competitive balance pick that, based on the rotation, should result in three picks in the top 50.

It is difficult to conceive of a scenario where the Twins would lose a free agent that would result in a compensatory pick.

Much will change between now and June 2019, but the forecasts are that the best arms are at the high school level.Bats are at the college level.

I think the FO's first two drafts were very successful.

Thoughts on the draft anyone?

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,619 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:08 AM

We have a long, long ways to go before draft time, so I have no idea.

As far as the off-season ahead, lots of work needs to be done. Find a legit fielding SS, a pitcher who can slot in at #1 or #2 in the rotation, 3-4 bullpen arms, and legit backup plans for Buxton/Sano.
  • 70charger and LA VIkes Fan like this

#3 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,715 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:20 AM

I wish I was writing about the playoffs. But, alas, I am thinking ahead. Although I am not optimistic about 2019, there is much to be done this offseason.

It looks like the Twins will be drafting around #10. They should also get a competitive balance pick that, based on the rotation, should result in three picks in the top 50.

It is difficult to conceive of a scenario where the Twins would lose a free agent that would result in a compensatory pick.

Much will change between now and June 2019, but the forecasts are that the best arms are at the high school level. Bats are at the college level.

Didn't they trade their second rounder with Hughes?

#4 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,173 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:55 AM

I wish I was writing about the playoffs.But, alas, I am thinking ahead.Although I am not optimistic about 2019, there is much to be done this offseason.

It looks like the Twins will be drafting around #10.They should also get a competitive balance pick that, based on the rotation, should result in three picks in the top 50.

Much will change between now and June 2019, but the forecasts are that the best arms are at the high school level.Bats are at the college level.

It's the middle of September and once again we are concerned about next year's draft. Iam with you. I understand. I don't want this to happen again next year. I thought about simply lowering my expectations. Then I remembered 1987 and 1991 and so I say, sign me up for next year. Spring is right around the corner. 

• caninatl04 likes this

#5 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:08 PM

Didn't they trade their second rounder with Hughes?

That was for the 2018 draft. Also, wasn't quite a second rounder -- it was a competitive balance pick after the second round, #74 overall. (Those are the only picks that are tradeable)

• caninatl04 likes this

#6 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 737 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:38 AM

It's the middle of September and once again we are concerned about next year's draft. Iam with you. I understand. I don't want this to happen again next year. I thought about simply lowering my expectations. Then I remembered 1987 and 1991 and so I say, sign me up for next year. Spring is right around the corner. 

Hi Tar Heel;

The only point I disagree with is the "mid September" reference.This year's product had us thinking of next year in as far back as, what, mid June?

Yes, I am kidding.

I sincerely hope we are talking about October two years from now.

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: draft