Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: KC 10, MIN 3: It’s a Hard Road

chase de jong paul molitor
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:02 PM

The road woes continued for the Twins Saturday night as they stumbled through a sloppy game and took a beating from the Royals. The Twins are 43-31 in home games this season, but this loss dropped their road record to 24-50. They’re also now 4-10 so far in September.Snapshot (chart via FanGraphs)
De Jong: 33 Game Score, 3.1 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 66.2% strikes (49 of 74 pitches)
Home Runs: None
Multi-Hit Games: Forsythe (2-for-5), Astudillo (2-for-4)
WPA of 0.1 or higher: None
WPA of -0.1 or lower: De Jong -.241
Download attachment: WinChart915.png
This pretty much sums it all up:

Both Paul Molitor and third base coach Gene Gylnn were ejected after that play. Word came through later that they were both arguing the pitch should have been called a strike, that the batter didn’t pull back the bunt attempt soon enough.

I've never seen Molitor more angry. He ended the confrontation by yelling "stupid, stupid, stupid" at the umpire. I'm sure he's been called worse, but it's pretty out of character for Molly to get so upset. Maybe he's feeling the heat ...

There were other embarrassing moments in this one. Jake Cave lost a ball in the lights. Willians Astudillo made a boneheaded baserunning blunder, apparently forgetting how many outs there were.

Chase De Jong made his second start for the Twins. It did not go well. He only lasted 3 1/3 innings and gave up five runs (three earned) on eight hits. The bullpen was brutal, as well. Zack Littell gave up four earned runs in his 2 2/3 innings, and was removed from this game due to an apparent injury.

The Twins lineup tallied 11 hits and drew a couple walks, but could only come away with three runs. A big reason behind that was the only extra-base hit they got was a Joe Mauer double.

The Twins will hope to avoid the four-game sweep at Kauffman Stadium tomorrow afternoon.

Next Three Games
Sun at KC, 1:15 pm CT: Kyle Gibson vs. Jakob Junis
Mon at DET, 6:10 pm CT: TBD
Tue at DET, 6:10 pm CT: Jake Odorizzi vs. TBD

Last Three Games
KC 8, MIN 4: OH THE HUMANITY!!!
KC 6, MIN 4: Coming Down is the Hardest Thing
MIN 3, NYY 1: Odorizzi Carries No-No Into 8th Inning

Click here to view the article
  • USAFChief, glunn and Jerr like this

#2 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:25 PM

Last year they couldn't win at home. What a weird team.

• Jerr and Danchat like this

#3 Einheri

Einheri

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:50 PM

I had to shut the game off early.
Well… not so much had to as chose to.

Twins have been playing some bad, ugly baseball these last three games.

• Jerr, tarheeltwinsfan and joyzeetwinkee like this

#4 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,920 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:07 PM

Now suddenly the day they are officially eliminated he finally shows some emotion?

• birdwatcher and Jerr like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#5 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 16 September 2018 - 04:59 AM

I just can't get passed how good this team can look against the leagues best and then get bludgeoned by the dregs of the league in the next series.  

Edited by wsnydes, 16 September 2018 - 05:00 AM.

• Jerr likes this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#6 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 05:21 AM

Well we kind of looked forward to see what we had in the minors.A tad disappointing at least from what I can see at least for the pitching.If they can't pitch to KC who can they pitch to?

• beckmt, Danchat, mikelink45 and 2 others like this

#7 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 05:24 AM

If you can try to see the positives it would be Berrios, Romero and Rogers for pitching.Santana perhaps if they bring him back, but that would cost money so I don't see that happening.Are there any big name free agent pitchers?Would the Twins pursue them?Would they want to come to MN?I can't even see this team contending for at least 5 years and that is a big question mark. 

#8 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:01 AM

I am trying to remember which of these teams has the second worst record in the league!As BBAM wrote - who are our next pitchers?If this is what the team considers the best of the rookie prospects how to they rank?From bad to worst - 

Kohl Stewart

DeJong

Gonsalves

Littell

Would Aaron Slegers have been any better? 

Are any of these pitchers showing enough to say that they can just move on from rookie jitters?

With our BP looking gassed there is a lot to be done for next year.

• Doctor Wu likes this

#9 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,151 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:36 AM

Tom...don’t forget the routine DP ball to third, where nobody bothered to cover 2b. Instead of ending the inning, that left runners on 2nd and 3rd. And of course there was a 2 run double from Gordon that followed, but that’s not the point.

This team is terrible at baseball. Has been in the entire Molitor era. Talent can’t be pulled from thin air, but it’s Molitor’s job to get his players to play the game well. And they do NOT play the game well.

That was really awful last night. Worse than you should see in MLB, and it is commonplace for this team.

Start the repairs with the manager.
  • Danchat, blindeke and tarheeltwinsfan like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#10 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 08:03 AM

At least we weren't beaten by the heroics of Drew Butera this time.

• BBAM likes this

#11 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:10 PM

I knew we were in trouble in the bottom of the first inning when Kansas City players showed the Twin players how to move a player, who had hit a lead off double, to third base by hitting the ball on the ground behind the runner on second, thereby advancing the runner to 3rd base and then hittingthe ball on the ground to the same location, so the runner on third could score. The Twins had looked pathetic in the top of the 1st inning in failing to advance Mauer from his lead off double. This is elementary baseball 101.

#12 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:12 PM

Tom...don’t forget the routine DP ball to third, where nobody bothered to cover 2b. Instead of ending the inning, that left runners on 2nd and 3rd. And of course there was a 2 run double from Gordon that followed, but that’s not the point.

This team is terrible at baseball. Has been in the entire Molitor era. Talent can’t be pulled from thin air, but it’s Molitor’s job to get his players to play the game well. And they do NOT play the game well.

That was really awful last night. Worse than you should see in MLB, and it is commonplace for this team.

Start the repairs with the manager.

I like Molly, but I must agree with you.

• USAFChief likes this

#13 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:16 PM

Did the Twins first base coach remind Astudillo that there was one out just beforeAstudillo was doubled off of first base? QuotingStruther Martin in "Cool Hand Luke" : "What we have here is failure to communicate."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chase de jong, paul molitor