Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: KC 8, MIN 4: OH THE HUMANITY!

trevor hildenberger jose berrios willians astudillo joe mauer
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 04:32 PM

Hildenberger has gotten the majority of 9th inning save chances since Rodney was traded. In this particular game, what is your better alternative? Rogers and May had already been used. Most of the rest down there aren’t better.

You misunderstand.I am fine with Hildy, but when he is not right or make that when any closer is not right, it should be okay to bring someone else in.

#22 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:25 PM

You misunderstand. I am fine with Hildy, but when he is not right or make that when any closer is not right, it should be okay to bring someone else in.

Repeating, Who? Maybe Hildenberger was having a bad night. But the only reasonable choices were Reed and Belisle, who have been terrible most of the year. Oliver Drake? It’s easy to criticize, but if you don’t supply an alternative action, your criticism is empty.

#23 Einheri

Einheri

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:56 PM

Nothing against Castro personally.
But I wouldn't mind if the Twins moved him this off season and we went with Garver/Astudillo behind the plate next year.

#24 mngopherguy

mngopherguy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:04 PM

Like I said when the Twins traded Rodney, the next closer is not in the organization.

Almost nightly this group of relievers are showing why the FO was grabbing every waiver guy they could.Hidly is a 7th inning reliever, not a closer in a one run game. 

• ashburyjohn likes this

#25 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:03 AM

Repeating, Who? Maybe Hildenberger was having a bad night. But the only reasonable choices were Reed and Belisle, who have been terrible most of the year. Oliver Drake? It’s easy to criticize, but if you don’t supply an alternative action, your criticism is empty.

Well we will not agree on this, but I would have used any of the three you listed and anyone else not asleep in the BP.I do not leave a ninth inning reliever in because when his is good he is better than the others.Because if he is not good the game is lost.

#26 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,597 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:58 AM

Well we will not agree on this, but I would have used any of the three you listed and anyone else not asleep in the BP.I do not leave a ninth inning reliever in because when his is good he is better than the others.Because if he is not good the game is lost.

Recognizing that players are not the same as their stats on the back of their baseball card, and they have good games and bad games, is a step up.

But I think it's also true with pitchers that they don't necessarily/always have their best stuff when they face their first batter or two or three... think of the many solid starters who have a reputation for "you'd better get him early". Similarly you sometimes watch a reliever struggle for a batter or two, and then find himself. Of course most relievers don't have the luxury of getting a full inning to get squared away. But it's still as much an art as a science.

I'm not a Hildenberger apologist by any means, nor a big fan of the Closer role. But I don't think it's automatically a black mark against the dugout braintrust to leave him in, if they feel he's starting to find his feel for pitches. Of course, they can be wrong - it's a competition between batter and pitcher.

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trevor hildenberger, jose berrios, willians astudillo, joe mauer