Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: KC 8, MIN 4: OH THE HUMANITY!

trevor hildenberger jose berrios willians astudillo joe mauer
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:46 PM

Trevor Hildenberger had a disaster of a game Friday night in Kansas City. He was entrusted to protect a one-run lead in the ninth, but ended up giving up four hits, including a walk-off grand slam to Salvador Perez.Snapshot (chart via FanGraphs)
Berrios: 63 Game Score, 6.0 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 9 K, 66.0% strikes (64 of 97 pitches)
Home Runs: None
Multi-Hit Games: Grossman (3-for-5, 2B), Astudillo (3-for-4, BB), Mauer (2-for-5, 2B), Petit (2-for-3, BB)
WPA of 0.1 or higher: Grossman .181, Rogers .148, Berrios .138, Mauer .109, Astudillo .108
WPA of -0.1 or lower: Petit -.108, Polanco -.152, Austin -.171, Hildenberger -.787
Download attachment: WinChart914.png
Hildenberger retired the first man he faced in the ninth, but then a Rosell Herrera double followed by a Whit Merrifield single tied it up at 4-4. Adalberto Mondesi delivered another single, putting the game-winning run at third base with one out.

That created an opportunity for Paul Molitor to try an interesting strategy. He had Hildy intentionally walk the next batter to load the bases, then substituted in Logan Forsythe for Robbie Grossman, who had been playing left field, to give the Twins a five-man infield.

The Twins could’ve had a seven-man infield and 15 guys in the outfield and it wouldn’t have mattered. Perez worked a full count, then hit a walk-off grand slam to center field.

Based on the early goings of this game, you certainly wouldn’t have predicted that Jose Berrios would turn in a strong outing. He walked a batter and gave up a run in the first inning before walking two more batters and gave up another run in the second.

Berrios got straightened out and was outstanding for the next four frames. After the second inning, Jose did not walk another batter, only gave up three hits and struck out eight batters.

This was the first time Berrios had pitched to Willians Astudillo, not sure if that had anything to do with the sluggish start, but it certainly couldn’t have helped matters. Speaking of viral video superstar Willians Astudillo, here’s another good one:

Trevor May gave up a solo homer in the seventh to bring the Royals within a run. Kansas City came within inches of tying the game against Taylor Rogers in the eighth, but the Twins combined to make an excellent play.

Robbie Grossman fielded a double off the wall, fired in to cutoff man Jorge Polanco, who quickly relayed the ball toward home. The throw was a little up the line, but Astudillo did a great job reeling in the throw, then lunging toward the runner to tag him out just in the nick of time.

Astudillo was also 3-for-4 with a walk, the first of his Major League career.

Another day, another Joe Mauer milestone. He hit a double tonight that put him above Tony Oliva for fourth on the team’s all-time extra-base hit list. Twins Communications Director Dustin Morse gave us a look ahead at the next milestone Mauer will have his sights on:

On the topic of getting on base, the Twins did an excellent job of doing that tonight. They combined for 13 hits and drew three walks. You’ve got to come away with more than four runs when you have that much traffic on the bases.

Postgame with Molitor

Next Three Games
Sat at KC, 6:15 pm CT: Chase De Jong vs. Ian Kennedy
Sun at KC, 1:15 pm CT: Kyle Gibson vs. Jakob Junis
Mon at DET, 6:10 pm CT: TBD

Last Three Games
KC 6, MIN 4: Coming Down is the Hardest Thing
MIN 3, NYY 1: Odorizzi Carries No-No Into 8th Inning
MIN 10, NYY 5: Joe Mauer Grand Slam Highlights Big Night for Bats

Click here to view the article
  • Jerr and nicksaviking like this

#2 jtkoupal

jtkoupal

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:03 PM

The Twins need to trade for Salvy Perez so that he can stop hitting homers against them!

In all seriousness, though, I would be thrilled if the Twins traded for Perez. It won't happen with Castro under contract, but man would that be awesome! (especially if he hits like he always hits at Target Field ;))

• shimrod, Einheri and mngopherguy like this

#3 Einheri

Einheri

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:12 PM

Even with the loss, it was a fun game to watch.  Willians Astudillo has quickly become my favorite player and plenty enough reason to watch this team in these final weeks.

• Jerr, nicksaviking, mikelink45 and 2 others like this

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,471 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:48 PM

The team seems to have a higher talent level than they are playing up to. Disappointment seems to be becoming a self fullfilling prophecy. 2019 can't come soon enough.
  • tarheeltwinsfan, Shaitan, bighat and 1 other like this

#5 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,366 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:08 AM

Gimmick pitchers' gimmicks only last so long.
  • ChrisKnutson, Platoon, lukeduke1980 and 2 others like this

#6 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:04 AM

Perez owns the Twins.In the first game the radio announcers gave us a look at how he hits against us and it is ridiculous.Now I also have to ask the Twins pitching brain trust how they left Hildenberg in to pitch to Perez.He gets one out, but then a double, a single, single, walk (intentional so we could have the player who hits the best against us come up) and then Hildy still pitches against him.We only had a one run lead, he gave that up and then melted down and with a bullpen bristling with arms he was still in.When did MLB teams come up with this strategy of never pulling a closer?When did Hildy become our closer?Baffling.

KC is having fun, the Twins are not.But our starter gave us quality, Astudillo made two outstanding fielding plays, got three hits and a walk.Don't give me the Gimenez leadership story - play Willans the rest of the way.

• adorduan, bighat and Original Whizzinator like this

#7 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:39 AM

A closer giving up 5 runs in the bottom of the 9th in a 1-run game? That could be a record of some kind. Literally could not do worse than that. Hildy appears to be a below-average middle reliever trending downward. Put his season in the "disappointment" column along with many other Twins.

Astudillo is what makes this team worth watching right now. He's the type of guy the Twins need more of...just can't get enough of this guy!

Edited by bighat, 15 September 2018 - 06:40 AM.

• Jerr, tarheeltwinsfan and Einheri like this

#8 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:56 AM

The silver lining is that Hildenberger is pitching himself out of what I assumed would be the closer role next season if he was even reasonally competent.

• Danchat likes this

#9 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:25 AM

So Rosario, Berrios, and 23 question marks for 2019
  • mikelink45, tarheeltwinsfan, IaFan1 and 1 other like this

#10 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:48 AM

Aside from his self-admitted chubbiness, I'm getting a real Chris Farley vibe from Willians just in look and mannerisms as well.  

That ending goes in the TSF bucket.  Good Lord.  Who will be the closer next year?  Nobody currently on the Twins, for sure.

• ashburyjohn and mikelink45 like this

#11 mnfireman

mnfireman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:18 AM

I think Dick 'N' Bert said the team has 11 relievers currently on the big league roster, by my count at least 5 of these have no business being in the majors, expanded rosters or not. And as far as using an opener, DON'T!! The bullpen is far and away the worst part of a bad team, though I guess we wouldn't have to worry about them blowing a lead if they give up 4 or 5 in the 1st inning.

• mikelink45 likes this

#12 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,057 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:35 AM

Astudillo is what makes this team worth watching right now. He's the type of guy the Twins need more of...just can't get enough of this guy!

Definitely fun to see Astudillo, although for me it comes with a tinge of regret too -- there was absolutely an opening to see if he could have provided this team with a spark back in May/June. (Similar story with Cave, who could/should have been up when Buxton first hit the DL way back in April.)
  • bighat and Einheri like this

#13 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,350 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:49 AM

Astudillo is a BASEBALL PLAYER.

I didn't watch the game last night, so I missed some good stuff from Willians. In addition to the short clip shown above, have a look at this clip. https://mediadownloa...asset_1800K.mp4

Also, watch all the way through, if you want some insight into "team chemistry". Escobar used to clown around with pretending to have feuds with teammates - Astudillo and Berrios are continuing that tradition. It's not my cup of tea for interacting with others, but I can see it being a positive for our guys.

• Jerr, jimbo92107, Einheri and 1 other like this

A slim chance equals a fat chance, yet a wise man and a wise guy are opposites.

#14 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:39 AM

Eh, September baseball.

#15 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:02 AM

I don't know that Hildy is a closer. We need a guy that is money

#16 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:11 PM

Perez owns the Twins. In the first game the radio announcers gave us a look at how he hits against us and it is ridiculous. Now I also have to ask the Twins pitching brain trust how they left Hildenberg in to pitch to Perez. He gets one out, but then a double, a single, single, walk (intentional so we could have the player who hits the best against us come up) and then Hildy still pitches against him. We only had a one run lead, he gave that up and then melted down and with a bullpen bristling with arms he was still in. When did MLB teams come up with this strategy of never pulling a closer? When did Hildy become our closer? Baffling.

KC is having fun, the Twins are not. But our starter gave us quality, Astudillo made two outstanding fielding plays, got three hits and a walk. Don't give me the Gimenez leadership story - play Willans the rest of the way.

Hildenberger has gotten the majority of 9th inning save chances since Rodney was traded. In this particular game, what is your better alternative? Rogers and May had already been used. Most of the rest down there aren’t better.

#17 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,179 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:14 PM

Astudillo is a BASEBALL PLAYER.

I didn't watch the game last night, so I missed some good stuff from Willians. In addition to the short clip shown above, have a look at this clip. https://mediadownloa...asset_1800K.mp4

Also, watch all the way through, if you want some insight into "team chemistry". Escobar used to clown around with pretending to have feuds with teammates - Astudillo and Berrios are continuing that tradition. It's not my cup of tea for interacting with others, but I can see it being a positive for our guys.

I saw that clip when I watched game highlights ... I really wanted it to keep going to see what would happen next ... :)

• ashburyjohn and tarheeltwinsfan like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#18 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:34 PM

While I don't think Hildy is a non-MLB talent, I don't think he's cut out for the closer role and I'm not sure if he's good for high leverage situations. The only positive development in the bullpen thus far has been Taylor Rogers... I forsee several relievers getting added on 1 year deals this offseason with nobody else seizing any spots.

#19 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,881 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:39 PM

Team needs guys like Willans Astudillo. He's our Everyman baseball hero. 

• ashburyjohn, Danchat, mikelink45 and 2 others like this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#20 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 02:12 PM

KC is having fun, the Twins are not.

not disagreeing. just noting that a few days ago this could have been said: the twins are having fun, the yankees are not. that's baseball.

• ashburyjohn and Original Whizzinator like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trevor hildenberger, jose berrios, willians astudillo, joe mauer