Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Game Thread: Twins @ KC, 9/14/2018 5:15pm PT (7:15pm CT)

game thread twins royals hot taeks.
  • Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 5,116 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:34 PM

Many years ago, archaeologists found a stone with an inscription that dated back a couple of centuries. Experts puzzled over deciphering the inscription for decades before it was finally deciphered.

And, of course, someone just happened to stumble across the key that allowed the rest of the world in on the secret of the ancient code.

The intrepid researcher walked into the room which contained the stone, and, just as the morning light shone across the surface of the stone, the "eureka!" moment occurred. The lighting revealed the key to the whole cipher written on the stone: "Today is Sunday, the 24th. Am very drunk today."

The point to my story?

No idea.

With that, Play Ball!

Lineups:

lineups9142018

• USAFChief likes this

#2 Blake

Blake

• Members
  • 5,116 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:35 PM

And, again, I copied over the last thread heading, changed the times, but not the date.

Sigh.

• ashburyjohn and USAFChief like this

#3 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,004 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:28 PM

The intrepid researcher walked into the room which contained the stone, and, just as the morning light shone across the surface of the stone, the "eureka!" moment occurred. The lighting revealed the key to the whole cipher written on the stone: "Today is Sunday, the 24th. Am very drunk today."

We deserve a followup. Chief, how was the hangover on Monday the 25th?

• USAFChief, Blake and Platoon like this

Joys and tears alike are sent, to give the soul fit nourishment. -- Sarah Adams

#4 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,004 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:30 PM

And, again, I copied over the last thread heading, changed the times, but not the date.

Sigh.

Fixed.

The tip jar is currently deployed for other projects. I'll let you know when it's back, for your convenience.

• USAFChief and Blake like this

#5 Blake

Blake

• Members
  • 5,116 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:31 PM

On a more serious note, I did read this story somewhere many years ago. The whole light striking the surface just right was actually in the original story. I want to say it was Reader's Digest, but, again, decades ago.

#6 Blake

Blake

• Members
  • 5,116 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:33 PM

I do not get Petit in this lineup, at all.

I can sort of justify a lot of things but Petit isn't one of them.

#7 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,004 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:40 PM

I do not get Petit in this lineup, at all.

I can sort of justify a lot of things but Petit isn't one of them.

Polanco and Adrianza are in the lineup. Are you concerned about Forsythe missing out on some PA? Unless Sano is ready for duty, there isn't anyone else.

• Danchat likes this

#8 Blake

Blake

• Members
  • 5,116 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:01 PM

Polanco and Adrianza are in the lineup. Are you concerned about Forsythe missing out on some PA? Unless Sano is ready for duty, there isn't anyone else.

I was thinking maybe someone younger from Triple A. Or even Double A. But, I guess this late in the year and with a lost season, no point.

#9 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,004 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:12 PM

I was thinking maybe someone younger from Triple A. Or even Double A. But, I guess this late in the year and with a lost season, no point.

Take a look at the Rochester squad, eliminate everyone who has been released already, and tell me who you would bring up. Or, who among those cut loose should be begged to come back.

https://www.baseball...eam_fielding_2B

The only one worth discussing, IMO, is the obvious one, Nick Gordon, and that topic has been hashed to death. I am an expert, by virtue of observing him at a game in Pawtucket late this season, and my firm opinion is he would be so badly overmatched that no good would come of it, either for helping the team now or for his own development.

The pickings are even slimmer at AA, for someone who could come up and have a realistic chance.

https://www.baseball...eam_fielding_2B

#10 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:15 PM

We don't need this many bleeping commercials while waiting for a 7:15 start. All games should start at 5 minutes after the half hour. The announcers can say hi, welcome to the game, go through the lineups and batting orders, and play ball. Fewer worthless commercials and the game finishes 10 minutes earlier. Win/win!

#11 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,461 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:19 PM

Berrios' season ..... looking a lot like a Blackburn season, and not close to an ace. Sure did start out fine, though.

#12 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,461 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:22 PM

Another perfect game going for Lopez.....

#13 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:31 PM

We don't need this many bleeping commercials while waiting for a 7:15 start. All games should start at 5 minutes after the half hour. The announcers can say hi, welcome to the game, go through the lineups and batting orders, and play ball. Fewer worthless commercials and the game finishes 10 minutes earlier. Win/win!

You do understand that commercials are what drives the revenue that the Twins (and every other team) make from their broadcast rights?

#14 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,461 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:33 PM

... and there goes Berrios' perfect game, no hitter, and shutout. And with just 2 total outs, that didn't take long.

#15 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:33 PM

Sal Perez got an RBI against the Twins.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
  • Danchat and Platoon like this

#16 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:35 PM

Anyone else getting annoying walmart popups on gameday? I’ve given up on it and switched to whatever cbs calls theirs.

I don’t get them with any other website, so I don’t think the issue is my phone.

#17 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,157 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:42 PM

You know how to prevent a hangover?

Keep drinking.

• ashburyjohn likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#18 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,157 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:45 PM

The "effort" from Kepler on Perez' RBI single was disappointing. Perhaps he was stationed too deep, and couldn't get it, but to see him jogging in and fielding it on a hop after it drops 10 feet in front of him is disturbing.

There's also no reason to have your off-field outfielder stationed so deep anyway. Who cares if Perez hits it over Kepler's head? The runs scores on a single anyway, and off field, it's much more likely to be the flare it was, in front of Kepler.

• ashburyjohn and h2oface like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#19 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:49 PM

You do understand that commercials are what drives the revenue that the Twins (and every other team) make from their broadcast rights?

I don't buy the argument that 10 extra minutes of commercials before the game are a big revenue generator. The broadcasters can just charge 2% more for the commercials between innings to make up for it. The advertisers will not pause for a moment before agreeing to that.

#20 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,920 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:49 PM

The "effort" from Kepler on Perez' RBI single was disappointing. Perhaps he was stationed too deep, and couldn't get it, but to see him jogging in and fielding it on a hop after it drops 10 feet in front of him is disturbing.

There's also no reason to have your off-field outfielder stationed so deep anyway. Who cares if Perez hits it over Kepler's head? The runs scores on a single anyway, and off field, it's much more likely to be the flare it was, in front of Kepler.

Geez Chief sounds like you are actually paying attention to the game. Are you feeling ok?

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, Blake and 1 other like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: game thread, twins, royals, hot taeks.