Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Minnesota Wild season 2018-2019

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#81 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,514 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 July 2019 - 05:50 PM

I listened to Russo's interview with Barreiro earlier this afternoon. It sounded worse than I could have imagined.

#82 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,514 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:49 AM

Incredible work by Russo. Must read.

#83 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,622 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:55 AM

I place little blame on an incompetent person behind assigned to a job that's well above their capabilities.

The vast majority of the blame falls on Craig Leopold.
How could you not vet out this level if incompetence before you hire him? The guy literally didn't even know the rules of the CBA!

#84 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Twins Mods
  • 10,815 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:58 AM

Then again, how often do we see people in Leipold’s position double down and not consider that they are at fault? Far too often, nowadays.

#85 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,622 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 01:24 PM

Then again, how often do we see people in Leipold’s position double down and not consider that they are at fault? Far too often, nowadays.

Sure. I give him some credit for being able to realize he made a mistake and moving on.
But, with as bad as it sounds like Fenton was, I don't see how that was reasonably avoidable.

#86 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,514 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:16 AM

I place little blame on an incompetent person behind assigned to a job that's well above their capabilities.

The vast majority of the blame falls on Craig Leopold.
How could you not vet out this level if incompetence before you hire him? The guy literally didn't even know the rules of the CBA!

Agreed. We read at the time Leipold wanted someone who agreed with his analysis that the team was a couple tweaks away from returning to the playoffs.

I'm assuming 99% of the candidates he interviewed said "Are you nuts? This is an obvious rebuild." And Fenton was the only guy who said "Sure! A couple of tweaks and this team is a Stanley cup contender!"
  • Mr. Brooks likes this