Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Minnesota Wild season 2018-2019

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,538 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:01 PM

Upon further review, Fiala is giving off major James Sheppard vibes so far. I think Donato will do well, but so far this year, it’s basically Coyle/Nino/Granny for cap space and Donato. Might still work out, I guess, but I’m less enthused than before.

I don't know, this seems to have been a master stroke.And the best part is Erickson Ek, Kunin, Donato, and Fiala seem to be developing rapidly with the expanded time.

I went from pretty "bleh" on this roster to kind of excited to see what they do with the financial wiggle room they have now.

• Pardon My Dinger likes this

#42 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,935 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:12 PM

I don't know, this seems to have been a master stroke. And the best part is Erickson Ek, Kunin, Donato, and Fiala seem to be developing rapidly with the expanded time.

I went from pretty "bleh" on this roster to kind of excited to see what they do with the financial wiggle room they have now.

Yeah, on the whole, I pretty much agree.

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#43 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,538 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:14 PM

Yeah, on the whole, I pretty much agree.

I should say...it's the Wild.By next week they may look so bad I wonder if we should just cut them all.

#44 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:06 PM

For me, when it comes to the Wild, it's win a playoff round then get back to me.

#45 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,627 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:22 PM

I should say...it's the Wild. By next week they may look so bad I wonder if we should just cut them all.

This didn't age well...
  • TheLeviathan likes this

#46 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,627 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:26 PM

Can we make a call to Bettman and schedule playoff teams the rest of the way? It's the only time this team decides to show up and play.

#47 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:36 PM

Can we make a call to Bettman and schedule playoff teams the rest of the way? It's the only time this team decides to show up and play.

Until they are actually in the playoffs, that is.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#48 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,538 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 02:04 PM

This didn't age well...

Pfft, I think it shows my psychic powers.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#49 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,627 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:16 PM

Season's over.

#50 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,627 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:48 AM

The acquired 22 year old kids give some glimmer of hope... This roster still isn't good enough to win. Wish the veterans cared about winning a Stanley Cup, or lifted their no trade clause (if there's any interest in them at all).

#51 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:52 PM

The acquired 22 year old kids give some glimmer of hope... This roster still isn't good enough to win. Wish the veterans cared about winning a Stanley Cup, or lifted their no trade clause (if there's any interest in them at all).

The ‘eight digit’ contracts are a problem. No doubt about that. However, in my casual observation of the NHL this year, one thing stands out is a seemingly unprecedented glut of 20-23 year old talent. Right now 5 of the top 10 scorers are in that age range, and most of this year’s all-stars, I’d never even heard of.

So, for this GM to lop off failed projects to get younger and cheaper might end up looking like a genius move when free agency explodes in a few years. I mean, there’s definitely a lockout on the horizon. But, best to be in a good position to capitalize when the dust settles.
  • TheLeviathan and Vanimal46 like this

#52 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,538 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:26 PM

This team would look to be in such good shape had they dealt Suter one of the last 2-3years.I'm not sure they could've done that with Parise, but Suter had high enough value that you could get out from under that contract and still get a decent return.

#53 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,627 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:43 PM

The ‘eight digit’ contracts are a problem. No doubt about that. However, in my casual observation of the NHL this year, one thing stands out is a seemingly unprecedented glut of 20-23 year old talent. Right now 5 of the top 10 scorers are in that age range, and most of this year’s all-stars, I’d never even heard of.
So, for this GM to lop off failed projects to get younger and cheaper might end up looking like a genius move when free agency explodes in a few years. I mean, there’s definitely a lockout on the horizon. But, best to be in a good position to capitalize when the dust settles.

It kinda feels like the Wild missed the boat on that wave of youngsters... I don't know if JE-Ek, Donato, or Greenway can be all star level. I concur with your thought on Fiala, AKA James Sheppard. Hype with no substance...

There's too many potential lockouts to keep up with! September is the month where either the owners or players can opt out and start the labor war. The escrow clause for the players sounds like a rough deal.

https://www.chicagot...0916-story.html

Bettman's pride must get in the way. It's the only explanation for not admitting the warm weather/desert expansion has been a failure. They could and should relocate 2-3 teams to a more prosperous and interested city.

#54 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:13 PM

Bettman's pride must get in the way.

HAhahaHEheh. Shouldn’t be a problem.

#55 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,627 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:15 PM

If true, Fenton needs to go immediately.
  • Twins33 and TheLeviathan like this

#56 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,538 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:57 PM

Woof

#57 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:15 AM

Pretty sure Russo’s never wrong. What the bloody hell is that?

#58 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:42 AM

Yeah, he brought that up on KFAN on Monday, I don't understand how you pass up that deal. Was he trying to play hardball and it backfired? Or does he just actually think that a rebuilding team benefits from keeping him at that price?
Another thing to consider is that maybe the owner nixed it. Keep in mind during the GM search he said tweaks only, no major rebuilding would be acceptable. Perhaps the owner considered this move to be a step too far in the rebuilding direction.

#59 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,538 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:42 AM

Owner interference could explain it, still...that sucks.

#60 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,627 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:47 AM

If the owner interfered he needs to get out of the GD way. He's delusional about where this team stands.