Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: KC 6, MIN 4: Coming Down is the Hardest Thing

gabriel moya stephen gonsalves jake cave
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:18 PM

How long do we continue with Kepler in right field? 

5 years.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#22 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:21 PM

Another thing,

It's amazing to me how walk-prone the entire staff has been, really.

Where's Rick Anderson when we need him?

#23 Channing1964

Channing1964

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:36 PM

Gosh I hope we can contend for something in 2019 besides a high draft pick. I just dont see it ....

#24 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,239 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:46 PM

Where's Rick Anderson when we need him?

He's in Detroit! Gardy's pitching coach again:

http://m.tigers.mlb....roster/coaches/

Steve Liddle and Joe Vavra on that staff too...

#25 jtkoupal

jtkoupal

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:21 PM

Great line of thinking here. I embrace tinkering with new ideas, but the opener (at least the way the Twins have tried it so far) isn't really doing it for me. Your point above is another strike against it.

I definitely see the value in trying to avoid overexposure of your starter/primary pitcher, but this doesn't seem to be the way to accomplish that goal.

I believe that the expectation of bringing the primary in to face the 7-8-9 is relatively unrealistic. The likelihood of the the opener going 6-up 6-down is pretty low. With the best hitters now stacked atop the lineup in most cases, it makes more sense to let the opener pitch the first inning and then bring the primary to start against the 4th or 5th batter.

#26 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:22 PM

How long do we continue with Kepler in right field?

As long as he continues to post a 2.7 bWAR. Kepler is not one of the problems with this team. People need to stop thinking he is.

#27 jtkoupal

jtkoupal

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:26 PM

I don’t understand having an opener go more than one inning. If the theory behind the opener is to have him pitch to batters 1-3 (or 4) in the first inning, allowing the primary to begin his day with 4 or 5, and thus start his third time through the order with batter 4 or 5, getting two innings from an opener defeats this purpose. Since most pitchers have whips over 1, statistically speaking, if the opener goes two innings, the primary will start with batters 9,1, and 2, therefore negating most of the supposed benefit of the opener.

I have felt this way since day 1. I believe the Twins should continue to use the opener. However, they have to understand that the probability of retiring the top 6 hitters in any given lineup without giving up a walk or hit is very low. Realistically, one of the first three will get on base, so you bring the primary in to face the 5th batter. In most lineups, the #5 slot is where it starts to gradually ease up. However, if they are doing it a certain way, I'm sure they have good reason. Our opinions are meaningless.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gabriel moya, stephen gonsalves, jake cave