Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Launch Angle?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,814 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:37 AM

Since the Twins, and most teams, have so many strike out prone players lately, I found this sort of interesting. To me, it seems common sense. Flatten the swing should improve contact percentage. I realize some players have benefited from increased launch angles. But I don't think it's a one size fits all solution.

https://bleacherrepo...paign=editorial

Edited by Platoon, 13 September 2018 - 11:37 AM.

• Riverbrian and Sconnie like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#2 LimestoneBaggy

LimestoneBaggy

Self-Appointed, Chief Executive Twins Daily Lurker

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:48 AM

I realize some players have benefited from increased launch angles. But I don't think it's a one size fits all solution.

Thanks for the post.

I think the attack angle/launch angle hype machine is all part of the cat-and-mouse game that is baseball. Pitchers are pounding the lower part of the zone and sinkers are (somewhat) effective; attack the ball with more of an uppercut. Attack angle increases and is paying out; pitchers move to more high cheese and curveballs to miss bats. All equates to more strikeouts, but higher homers.

Perhaps the next trend will be to normalize the attack angle between flat and high to combat the high balls/curveballs to maximize average and power; perhaps something else.

Whole thing reminds me of outfield shifts. Shift on power hitting, pull happy guys; then teams recruit and use more whole field hitters.

What's more concerning to me is that the Twins always (to me), seem to be chasing the most recent trend, instead of being out-front. Ryan Pressley's curveball rate comes to mind.

• Riverbrian and Platoon like this

"I lurk so hard, you thought I was a DJ." Limestone Baggy

"In order to have a testimony, you have to have a test." Teddy Bridgewater

#3 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,632 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:41 PM

Without that adjustment... Brandan Rodgers would be probably replacing Trevor Story right about now.

Byron Buxton for example should flatten out that swing and increase his contact. I think he will become who we want him to be the very second he learns to do that. 

Sano is strong enough to line drive balls over the fence and he does not want to be Chris Davis. 

I haven't seen the launch angle data so I'm going to try and keep an open mind. I'll try to trust those who are more informed. But... K's are going to kill Moncada and they might be killing Sano and Buxton as we speak. 

• Sconnie likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate