Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Game Thread: Twins vs. Yankees 9/12 @ 7:10 PM CT

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#41 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:46 PM

OK, pitching staff, you've got your run. Man up and make a name for yourselves. 

• David HK likes this

#42 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:48 PM

Astudillo’s hand-eye coordination is off the charts. His last at bat he hit breaking balls that Sano or Buxton would have missed by a mile
  • David HK and SF Twins Fan like this

#43 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,032 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:51 PM

I feel the need here to point out that when people point out Mauer's BA w/ RISP, I will point out that not all hits drive in runs.

And Mauer is the poster boy for those exact type hits.

• David HK likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#44 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:54 PM

I feel the need here to point out that when people point out Mauer's BA w/ RISP, I will point out that not all hits drive in runs.

Fair enough, but a single in a RISP situation is a whole lot better than making an out.

• Oldgoat_MN, David HK, SF Twins Fan and 2 others like this

#45 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:56 PM

Astudillo’s hand-eye coordination is off the charts. His last at bat he hit breaking balls that Sano or Buxton would have missed by a mile

It must be a thing with Twins catchers. Pierzynski rarely walked or struck out and Harper was ridiculously extreme in that regard. In his 6 years as a Twin he had almost 2700 PA and walked 111 times (25 times IBB) while striking out 128. That’s sick.
  • glunn, Oldgoat_MN, Circus Boy and 2 others like this

#46 mrmpls

mrmpls

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:57 PM

Bad break on polanco there,

• David HK and Nine of twelve like this

#47 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:57 PM

Do you have documentation to support this assertion or are you just pulling it out of your @$$?

#48 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,032 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:01 PM

Do you have documentation to support this assertion or are you just pulling it out of your @$$?

He hits a lot of soft singles to left, directly to a left fielder who is already playing shallow.

Runners don't advance more than one base. First to second, rather than first to third. Second to third, rather than second to home. 

It's baseball. Not all hits are created equal, and Mauer hits a lot of the type that are simply less valuable because of where they're placed.

#49 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,032 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:02 PM

Fair enough, but a single in a RISP situation is a whole lot better than making an out.

True enough.

#50 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:03 PM

A single won’t always score a runner on second. That’s simply common sense. Especially a single to left field, which is what Mauer has built his career on.

#51 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:04 PM

but he hit one pretty hard last night!
  • Hosken Bombo Disco and Nine of twelve like this

#52 slash129

slash129

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:07 PM

Go Jake!!!

#53 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,207 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:07 PM

Well Molly and Odo should be all in now :)
  • USAFChief likes this

#54 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,680 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:09 PM

Elite play can come from the most unlikely sources sometimes...

Great effort Odorizzi!
  • USAFChief and MN_ExPat like this

#55 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,032 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:10 PM

Sooo, I went to the Tucson symphony last weekend. They were playing Beethoven's Ninth, one of Mrs Chief's favorites.

As you might know, there's a long passage in this piece, maybe 15 minutes, during which the double basses have no parts. I noticed that as the orchestra reached this part, the two bassists snuck out the back. I was curious, so I snuck out the side door and followed them. Sure enough, they hustled over to a bar, and were quickly pounding back beers as fast as they could. I was fascinated, so I followed them in and took up a place next to them at the bar. 

Soon enough, one of them checked his watch and looked startled. "Hey, we need to get back!" he said.

"Not to worry," said the other. "I wanted an extra beer or two, so I tied a cord around the last few pages of the conductor's score. It'll take him at least an extra couple minutes to untie it."

With that, they each pounded back two more beers in what seemed like two minutes, and then sort of staggered back to their place in the orchestra.

I slipped back in, and sat down next to Mrs Chief. She leaned towards me and whispered, "Something is wrong, the conductor is fiddling with the score, and he looks really worried."

"Well," I whispered back, "of course he is. It's the bottom of the Ninth, the score is tied, and the bassists are loaded."

• ashburyjohn, glunn, Blake and 6 others like this

#56 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:10 PM

Hi Van, Jan Hoelo (??!) calling from Bizarro World here.  Just popped in to the Gameday feed and saw that Odo just had a seven pitch inning.  In the seventh.  Against the Yankees.  Should I fill my bathtub with water?  Stock up on batteries?  Take that cyanide pill in my left molar?  Thanks.  I'll hang up and listen on my AM radio after I get safely into my crawlspace.

• USAFChief, glunn, Oldgoat_MN and 1 other like this

#57 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:13 PM

Bad break on polanco there,

That's true. It was a really bad break. Obviously, he's not offering offensively at that ball, he's reacting defensively. (It did look a bit offensive, to be sure... heh...)

But here's my thing- 

OK, it's technically a strikeout, and that call is not reviewable, nor is it going to be changed.

But--

WHERE'S MY MANAGER?!?!?!

Why wasn't MoY out of that dugout like a shot, barking up a storm? So what if the call isn't reviewable? Why not have a guy in the dugout who's going to stick up for his guys, even in a losing cause? Why not have a guy who's going to stick up for the fans, whom I'm sure disagreed with that call wholeheartedly, too. Air it out a little, a liven up your troops, at least.

Sorry.

I've just been over the guy pretty much since day 1, and it just gets worse. 

Dead horse, I know, but I'm still going to beat the hell out of it.

#58 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:16 PM

• USAFChief and David HK like this

#59 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,032 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:16 PM

Insurance run. Nice.

• Nine of twelve likes this

#60 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:18 PM

Now, I'm not saying we'd be up with Cleveland at this point, but how much more interesting would our season have been with a whole bunch of BWilson ABs replaced by Astudillo ABs?

****OMG- and as I type that, he's chugging around third like a bowling ball with legs! I could watch that all night!

:lol:  :lol: :lol:    

Edited by David HK, 12 September 2018 - 08:21 PM.

• USAFChief, glunn, LaBombo and 2 others like this