Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Game Thread: Twins vs. Yankees 9/12 @ 7:10 PM CT

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,326 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 September 2018 - 04:45 PM

This is the last scheduled game thread hosted by Minnesota Twins Whine Line in 2018. Given the uncertainty of game threads in the future, it may be the series finale of Minnesota Twins Whine Line.

If it is the last game thread, the intern and I have learned very little over the last 4 years! But we wouldn't trade it for anything.

Thanks for listening. Hopefully we see you down the road.
  • USAFChief, glunn, Blake and 3 others like this

#2 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,368 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:05 PM

Long time caller, first time listener, here. What's your prediction for the tonight's final score? I'll hang up and ignore.

• USAFChief, glunn, Blake and 4 others like this

A slim chance equals a fat chance, yet a wise man and a wise guy are opposites.

#3 rileyroy

rileyroy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:19 PM

Yankees- 6. Twins- tbd
  • David HK likes this

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,326 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:53 PM

Long time caller, first time listener, here. What's your prediction for the tonight's final score? I'll hang up and ignore.

Hmm, the radio network didn't cancel our phone number yet, Intern... What do you say, one more time for old sake?

ANNND Welcome! To Minnesota Twins Whine Line: Farewell Edition! I am your host for... Well, whenever the radio network realizes they forgot to call Time Warner and cancel the service! We've got ourselves a real BARN BURNER tonight between the Twins and Yankees. Did you hear? Ownership wants to have more financial flexibility with it's roster heading into 2019, and show MAY not exist soon. In case if that happens, we have several ideas to fall back on! Before we dive into those ideas, let's talk about the weather...

It's a gorgeous night tonight in Minneapolis! 78 degrees and mostly sunny at first pitch. REAL FEEL of 76 degrees! Wind out of the S at 12 MPH... TREAD CAREFULLY with the gusts. Those could sneak up on you at 18 MPH!

Alright, we've had a lot of time to think about what our next idea is, since the phone wasn't ringing offering us a contract! We think they're all BRILLIANT, but you be the judge...

Live at Costco: So many pros with this choice! They offer free samples most days... There's a covered mattress hidden in a drawer to sleep in! And TVs so the Intern can play MLB the Show.

There are also a lot of cameras inside the building... And employees may notice that we haven't showered in a while. On second thought...

Mow Lawns for Money: The more we thought about why we love baseball, we kept circling back to the same love... OF grass designs! Who cares about the game itself, the stage is what matters! And what better stage to play on than a cross-cut pattern in the outfield? We will do that to your lawn! For a small fee...

Live on a farm: After years under the pressure of 100,000 watt radio maybe it's time for us to buy a tractor, grow a beard, and reside in Hattiesburg, MS.

If we're running low on cash, we'll come back! Then retire again... But if they call again, we'll come back and do really well! Then talk about retiring again, but $20 million dollars is too much to ignore and mail it in for another year. At that point enough is enough: it's time to go. On the side we can star in commercials for Wrangler and Micro touch razor blades... You may be asking yourself, "Am I reading a cliff notes' version of Brett Favre's life?" And I'd reply "Yes."

We can't think of any better way to end this than on a weird, random, confusing note.

LET'S GET A WIN TWINS!

Oh wait! We have a voice mail to answer.... Thank you for the call Ash. Intern, how many times did you have to restart this game for the Twins to win on MLB the Show?

7?!

We don't predict a good outcome, Ash.

Edited by Vanimal46, 12 September 2018 - 05:55 PM.

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, glunn and 5 others like this

#5 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,814 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:56 PM

Put me down as totally shocked. (And out $20). I bet someone Whine Line would outlast Sid Hartman's column. I am also very disappointed. I always expected you and The Intern to carry on Sid's scoops and shower interviews. Now who will I turn to when I need to find out who the Gophers lost to, due to a horrible officials call in 1958?
  • USAFChief, glunn, Blake and 3 others like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#6 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:59 PM

Hoping for a series win tonight. Hard to do when the New York team is already scoring one more run per game than the Twins, as well as giving up one less run ERA. So we're down two out of the gate every time. Nutz.

• USAFChief likes this

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish saying

#7 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,803 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:07 PM

Big fan of the Whine Line. Hope the sponsors pick it up for another season!

Question: Is it the same intern? Or do you get a new one each season? If it's the same intern, he/she must be on the same college plan as I was! Four glorious years at WIllmar State Junior College...Go Warriors!

• glunn, Blake, snepp and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#8 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,326 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:08 PM

Put me down as totally shocked. (And out $20). I bet someone Whine Line would outlast Sid Hartman's column. I am also very disappointed. I always expected you and The Intern to carry on Sid's scoops and shower interviews. Now who will I turn to when I need to find out who the Gophers lost to, due to a horrible officials call in 1958?

You can find us in a Costco near you! Or maybe your neighborhood mowing LIT designs in your neighbor's backyard.
  • glunn likes this

#9 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,326 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:13 PM

Big fan of the Whine Line. Hope the sponsors pick it up for another season!

Question: Is it the same intern? Or do you get a new one each season? If it's the same intern, he/she must be on the same college plan as I was! Four glorious years at WIllmar State Junior College...Go Warriors!

Thank you for the call Chief. We hope our sponsors call us too! As a long time listener you may recall this story! For the new listeners, our first intern in 2015 let Bark call into the show twice in a day... So he was fired! The intern you know and love started in 2016 and has been here ever since.... I found him playing MLB the Show at Target as the Twins, and the rest is history.
  • USAFChief, glunn, Blake and 1 other like this

#10 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,803 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:20 PM

Trading Hicks was not one of Ryan's better moments, and it was pretty obvious at the time. He'd be the Twins best player today.

• David HK likes this

#11 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,803 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:25 PM

We have a new guy at work, he's half-Indian.

We call him Ian.

• Blake, Oldgoat_MN, Circus Boy and 1 other like this

#12 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,885 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:26 PM

Trading Hicks was not one of Ryan's better moments, and it was pretty obvious at the time. He'd be the Twins best player today.

I dunno, I thought it was a good idea at the time because I thought Murphy would be a pretty good catcher.

I don't think anyone expected Murphy to completely and totally implode within months, and for about a year it looked like Hicks was going to bust too...

• Oldgoat_MN and MN_ExPat like this

#13 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:26 PM

I always suspected Vanimal was actually Sid posting under a pseudonym trying to be young and hip.Of course that would make him the second oldest person posting on this board.

Edited by D. Hocking, 12 September 2018 - 06:27 PM.

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, Blake and 5 others like this

#14 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,814 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:37 PM

[quote name="USAFChief" post="793461" timestamp="1536797224"]Big fan of the Whine Line. Hope the sponsors pick it up for another season!

Question: Is it the same intern? Or do you get a new one each season? If it's the same intern, he/she must be on the same college plan as I was! Four glorious years at WIllmar State Junior College...Go Warriors![/quote You can be glad that was only a two year school. :)
  • Vanimal46 likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#15 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:41 PM

Four glorious years at WIllmar State Junior College..

I originally read this as William Shatner Junior College - which would have been a pretty awesome education.

• Circus Boy and MN_ExPat like this

#16 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,326 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:46 PM

I always suspected Vanimal was actually Sid posting under a pseudonym trying to be young and hip. Of course that would make him the second oldest person posting on this board.

You don't know that for sure! And if you find out, my close personal friends will say otherwise!
  • D. Hocking and Circus Boy like this

#17 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,266 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:53 PM

http://m.startribune...ason/493103881/

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#18 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,326 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:57 PM

INSIDE Whine Line: Coming up after the 3rd inning...

Who is the Intern? Is (s)he real?!

Tune in to find out!

#19 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:59 PM

In what inning does it become not OK to say the NH word ...

#20 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,326 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:01 PM

In what inning does it become not OK to say the NH word ...

You can say night vision anytime you want!