Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: MIN 10, NYY 5: Joe Mauer Grand Slam Highlights Big Night for Bats

joe mauer taylor rogers
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,505 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:51 AM

How the f do you post an image in here?!?!

I download the image, then in "More Reply Options" on the desktop site, you can attach (upload) it, then "Add to Post". Seems to be the most reliable method for me.

Or ... if you have a link from the internet of the image or gif you want to use and are using the full editor on your desktop, click on the 'image of a tree' icon and follow the prompts.

Or, as spycake noted above, click on 'More reply options' and follow those directions. Those instructions work for downloaded images and photos.

• MN_ExPat likes this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#22 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:13 AM

I fully expected to see Mauer's 4 run homer sneak over the left field wall. Instead it was a 406+ ft blast to slightly right center. So now the question remains why was that only home run # 6 for the season? The answer has to be that his main goal is maintaining that .300 life time batting average, not helping the Twins win baseball games. Therefore, simply make contact and hit to the opposite field. Bryce Harper did the same thing recently when his average was heading towards the Mendoza line. I honestly believe that Mauer will do anything to keep that .300 average including retiring.

so Mauer hits a grand slam and you still have to rag on the guy, attacking his character by saying all he cares about is his average? Incredible. For some on here, it doesn't matter what the guy does, they just have to take shots.

Edited by jimmer, 12 September 2018 - 10:14 AM.

• SwainZag, bluechipper, Ben Noble and 5 others like this

#23 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:16 AM

The walks will kill you. Tough night for Kohl Stewart, who really needs to be able to pound the zone to have success. Bad timing for May to give up the dinger, but that's a tough spot to come into.

May threw it right down the middle. 95 no movement. It was served up to be clobbered. Missed the low outside corner target completely.

#24 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 01:17 PM

I fully expected to see Mauer's 4 run homer sneak over the left field wall. Instead it was a 406+ ft blast to slightly right center. So now the question remains why was that only home run # 6 for the season? The answer has to be that his main goal is maintaining that .300 life time batting average, not helping the Twins win baseball games. Therefore, simply make contact and hit to the opposite field. Bryce Harper did the same thing recently when his average was heading towards the Mendoza line. I honestly believe that Mauer will do anything to keep that .300 average including retiring.

I wish Joe would swing like that more often. You could see he put a little more jolt into that swing. Makes me wonder if he could get his left-centerfield power alley thing going again like he did at the Metrodome. Nice one Joe.

Over the years I have seen Joe swing hard plenty of times where he fouls the ball straight back.It seems like when he tries to hit for power his swing goes on a different plane and he just doesn't square it up.In this case when he says he was just trying to hit a fly ball to score the run I believe him. In this case it was 97 mph that he hit on the screws.Carew used to say he could hit 20 homers a year but he would bat .270 instead of .330.I have always appreciated Joe for who he is rather than get down on him for who he is not.

• 70charger, SwainZag, Ben Noble and 2 others like this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#25 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 02:37 PM

Looking at the BB's it might seem like Stewart and Gonsalves have the same issues.But I'm not sure they do.When I look at Steward, I see a guy who has stuff, but can't get it over the plate despite trying (and doesn't get totally annihilated when he does throw it over the plate)

When I watch Gonsalves, I see a guy without much stuff, who tries hard not to throw it over the plate.

Maybe, it's just me, but I remain more optimistic on Stewart.(Which probably means Gonsalves has a long and successful major-league career ahead of him.)

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#26 Fritzderkat

Fritzderkat

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 12 September 2018 - 04:03 PM

Joe's earned his place here, I'd say. When you add them all up years from now and ask who were the great ones, he'll be among the Twins top five. How much more do you want out of a guy?

• SwainZag, jimmer and Original Whizzinator like this

As a species we are not highly evolved

#27 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:34 PM

Every one of our "openers" has put the Twins in an early hole. Hint: the strategy doesn't work if your bullpen is terrible.

Great to see Joe crank one out against the Yanks no less. Very nice moment. Hey, let's take 2-of-3 and win one tonight!

Duffey did well in the role and allowed Stewart to begin with the 8 and 9 hitters. I think it worked the way it is supposed to last night.
  • ashburyjohn likes this

#28 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:39 PM

I hate the Yankees.

What's to hate about the Yankees?An owner that puts a competitive team on the field year after year?Stanton, Judge, Hicks, Gregorios? 

#29 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 6,305 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:41 PM

What's to hate about the Yankees?An owner that puts a competitive team on the field year after year?Stanton, Judge, Hicks, Gregorios? 

You make a very good point.

But they're still the Yankees.

• USAFChief, Original Whizzinator and BBAM like this

Member VP of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club

#30 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Whiner

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:10 PM

Please don't ruin Taylor Rodgers.

This is what I've been thinking about today after reading on this site about the great run he's been on. I think both Rogers and Hildenberger have proven to be reliable and useful bullpen pieces. Let's hope Molly can practice some restraint with them the rest of the way.

#31 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:58 PM

Joe's earned his place here, I'd say. When you add them all up years from now and ask who were the great ones, he'll be among the Twins top five. How much more do you want out of a guy?

Among the Twins top 5 are 4 Hall of Famers and one more who probably should be. Mauer isn’t a slam dunk Hall of Famer. Bert probably should have been. He had 11 seasons bWAR above 5. Joe has had 5. Tony O also had 5 seasons of bWAR above 5 - out of 11 seasons with more than 130 PA.

Joe doesn’t have a good HOF comp. a guy who was a an exceptional catcher for roughly half of his career and then a barely replacement level first baseman for the second half. If Mauer had been forced to retire 6-7 years ago, he probably would already be in the Hall of Fame. The longer he sticks around, the LESS likely he gets in IMO.
  • bighat likes this

#32 Fritzderkat

Fritzderkat

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:42 PM

Okay. How 'bout we put him in the top six?

As a species we are not highly evolved

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: joe mauer, taylor rogers