Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Offseason Trade Targets

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,947 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:55 PM

Trout for Buxton. Straight up.

And give up 4 years of control for 2? No way /s
  • USAFChief, adorduan and jimmer like this

#42 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:37 PM

They had to play Mauer somewhere. He wasn’t fast enough to play outfield. He probably would have worked at third, but it’s way too late now.
I don’t know if I would call Matt Duffy “successful”. I’d call him cheap and replacement level. Trying to build a career based on one good year.

Fair point, but if Duffy is replacement level, then so is Polanco, in fact Duffy might actually be better. Also, I’m not saying that Gordon and the rest of our players should be striving for slightly above average performance, all I’m saying is that we shouldn’t be afraid of breaking away from baseball’s old school train of thought in more than just a few certain areas, which is why I’m a fan of positional flexibility and the new “opener” strategy.

#43 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:53 PM

Fair point, but if Duffy is replacement level, then so is Polanco, in fact Duffy might actually be better. Also, I’m not saying that Gordon and the rest of our players should be striving for slightly above average performance, all I’m saying is that we shouldn’t be afraid of breaking away from baseball’s old school train of thought in more than just a few certain areas, which is why I’m a fan of positional flexibility and the new “opener” strategy.

How did Polanco come in to a conversation about Gordon?

#44 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:32 PM

I say go big on Patrick Corbin. Kid is a stud. Won't be 30 until next July. Probably be a big contract, but I like him better than any of the other options. No reason they couldn't make a serious bid at both him and Machado. 

I understand that this is a trade target thread, but I don't see them making any major trade this winter. I'd rather spend money than trade prospects at this point. I really don't see any impact deal where the other doesn't ask for Lewis or Kirilloff. I wonder how much trade value Gonsalves has; same with Romero (not that I'd trade either). Gordon probably doesn't have too much value. Would it be too soon to move the A and A+ guys? I just don't see where the Twins trade from and I am not knowledgeable enough to even know who they could target with a with guys like Rooker, Baddoo, Graterol, Enlow, Thorpe, etc... I also don't really want to trade any of those player quite yet.

#CanWeStillHireMientkiewicz?

#45 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:58 PM

How did Polanco come in to a conversation about Gordon?

Well because Gordon had a down year, it seems like a good portion of people (I’m assuming you too) on this site now view him as a bust and label Polanco as the Twin’s “2nd basemen of the future,” yet simultaneously minimalize a player like Duffy, when in reality Matt Duffy is better than almost our entire lineup, besides Rosario. Meaning, either Duffy is replacement level or our entire lineup is, maybe both? And if that’s the case, then what makes us so disillusioned to the idea that we’re only a couple free agents away from winning the division and going deep in the postseason. This the main reason why I’m for turning the page and commiting to new strategies such as developing players (in this case Gordon) to be defensively versatile.

#46 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:18 PM

I say go big on Patrick Corbin. Kid is a stud. Won't be 30 until next July. Probably be a big contract, but I like him better than any of the other options. No reason they couldn't make a serious bid at both him and Machado.

I understand that this is a trade target thread, but I don't see them making any major trade this winter. I'd rather spend money than trade prospects at this point. I really don't see any impact deal where the other doesn't ask for Lewis or Kirilloff. I wonder how much trade value Gonsalves has; same with Romero (not that I'd trade either). Gordon probably doesn't have too much value. Would it be too soon to move the A and A+ guys? I just don't see where the Twins trade from and I am not knowledgeable enough to even know who they could target with a with guys like Rooker, Baddoo, Graterol, Enlow, Thorpe, etc... I also don't really want to trade any of those player quite yet.

While I think I’d be a mistake, I could definitely see us signing Corbin to long term deal, unless he returns to Arizona, which is unlikely, due to their recent drop in the standings and the fact that they’ll probably be more focused on bringing back A.J. Pollock.

When it comes to Machado, don’t get your hopes up because he probably doesn’t even see Minnesota an option. Now if the Twins are still interested in a player with Machado-like potential, once after he signs, then I’d recommend they look into acquiring Philadelphia’s former top prospect J.P. Crawford.

Edited by ChrisKnutson, 13 September 2018 - 06:19 PM.

#47 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:06 PM

The twins have a huge hole to fill in the bullpen. That is where they can make the biggest improvement

#48 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:09 PM

Jed Gyorko because he has a high launch angle and low contact rate and doesn't run, field, or hit well.

If Ryan were around, I'd assume Peralta since we played him 18 times a year for ten years.

they'll probably sign Jordy Mercer.

#49 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:11 PM

Trade for 2B Starlin Castro of the Marlins. He and Polanco are the middle infield. MLB Trade Rumors say the MArlins want to trade him and are looking for controllable pitching (them and everybody else). Castro is 28 and last three years are :

2016 - .270/.300/.433, 21 HRs, 93 OPS+ for the Yankees

2107 - .300/.338/.454, 16 HRs, 106 OPS+ for the Yankees

2018 - .286/.337/.409, 11 HRS, 111 OPS+ (so far) for the Marlins. 

I would trade any of the AAA starters not named Romero or Mejia - Stewart, Gonsalves, Littlel, Slegers, De Jong - plus either a Busenitz/Duffy/Vasquez type reliever (anybody except Rogers, May or Hildenberger) or Gordon, or maybe even both. Either that or Mejia plus an A ball guy. Makes sense I think because Miami is 3-4 years away from any hope of contending and by then Castro will be on the downside, and the Twins hope their window is the next 3-4 years. 

Just offer salary relief. That's all the Marlins want anyway. Throw them some garbage. So, about 90 percent of the guys on your list qualify.

• ChrisKnutson likes this