Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Offseason Trade Targets

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:29 PM

Yes.Does 5-6 yrs @ 20-25MM sound right?

He's a Scott Boras client so I'd assume he's looking for 6 years @ $25MM a season, which is definitely more than I would want to Twins to invest. If the Twins could get him for 5 years @ $20 I would be happy with that. Dallas turns 31 on June 13th. 

#22 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,653 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:30 PM

You think the Angels should tear down right now? I understand they have had some frustrating finishes, but they have too much talent to start a tear-down now.

No, I don't think they should.

#23 Twinsoholic

Twinsoholic

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:04 PM

How much service time does Tigers lefty starter Matthew Boyd have? He has a 94 mph fastball and very effective breaking balls. I liked watching him pitch in some games this year. Depending on how much team control exists he could be a very good pick up. He's not of the caliber of some of the Mets starters, but he could be a very good fit for the Twins.

#24 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:13 PM

I'd place a call about Zach Grienke.The D-backs are going to need to free room to retain guys like Goldschmidt and you might get him at a relative bargain for taking on his salary.

The Twins can afford to do that financially.  

• USAFChief, diehardtwinsfan, Twins33 and 3 others like this

#25 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,653 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:54 PM

How much service time does Tigers lefty starter Matthew Boyd have? He has a 94 mph fastball and very effective breaking balls. I liked watching him pitch in some games this year. Depending on how much team control exists he could be a very good pick up. He's not of the caliber of some of the Mets starters, but he could be a very good fit for the Twins.

He's under control for 4 more years after this year, and will still be making the league minimum next year. I doubt the Tigers would be motivated to move him.

#26 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:39 PM

Twins have plenty of money for next year.Would rather see them sign 2 - 3 key parts (Rosario, Berrios) to start to long term deals. Then spend most of the remaining money on pitching, with some amount left to fill holes 1B/2B/3B.Infielders on short term deals, pitching on whetever we can get, with bullpen first. Feel we have enough starters to sort through, that unless you can find an ace, do not bother with high price pitching.

#27 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:19 PM

The FO can say they’re committed to Miguel Sano all they want, but they’d be down right foolish to not be on the trade market this offseason looking for possible future replacements in terms of prospects, because I’d rather have a 3rd basemen who’s capable of playing SS (like Bergman), not a 3rd basemen who’s move to 1st/DH is inevitable.

One prospect that fits the profile is the National’s switch hitting “five-tool” 3rd/SS Yasel Antuna, who at 18 years old, has already completed a full season at Single A.

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,720 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:23 PM

The FO can say they’re committed to Miguel Sano all they want, but they’d be down right foolish to not be on the trade market this offseason looking for possible future replacements in terms of prospects, because I’d rather have a 3rd basemen who’s capable of playing SS (like Bergman), not a 3rd basemen who’s move to 1st/DH is inevitable.

One prospect that fits the profile is the National’s switch hitting “five-tool” 3rd/SS Yasel Antuna, who at 18 years old, has already completed a full season at Single A.

Why are the nationals trading young players after they lose Harper? That seems unlikely to me. Couldn't Royce Lewis be that guy?
  • Ben Noble likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#29 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:26 AM

Why are the nationals trading young players after they lose Harper? That seems unlikely to me. Couldn't Royce Lewis be that guy?

Well Rizzo did say they plan on contending next year....

And why play Lewis at 3rd??? That’d just be a waste of his athleticism, I’d rather play Gordon there.

#30 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,238 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:19 AM

Well Rizzo did say they plan on contending next year....

And why play Lewis at 3rd??? That’d just be a waste of his athleticism, I’d rather play Gordon there.

Gordon probably won’t hit enough to have him at a corner.

#31 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:36 PM

Gordon probably won’t hit enough to have him at a corner.

Maybe, but then how do you explain playing Joe Mauer at 1st and Matt Duffy’s success as a 3rd basemen, despite a lack of power???

Edited by ChrisKnutson, 13 September 2018 - 01:36 PM.

#32 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:56 PM

If the Twins add pieces, I think it will be thru signings rather than trade, unless they can trade for someone that might be a part of the team for sure come 2021 and beyond. Like Odorizzi, they may be given a leash to produce or leave. But more than likely, the Twins will patch holes and hope that the talent the new regime endorses will develop and take their place on the field for the Twins to be a powerhouse team for many seasons to come, starting with 2021. 202 will be a season of some fulltime rookies and late season additions as you wean out some of the players still on the team, leftover from this and next season.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#33 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:25 PM

While you might be right, pushing the "contention" date back sucks and we've heard it for long enough. It's been since 2010 since this team has been any good. It shouldn't take 10 years to bring a team back into the fray every time. 

Edited by Battle ur tail off, 13 September 2018 - 02:26 PM.

#34 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:55 PM

Trade for 2B Starlin Castro of the Marlins. He and Polanco are the middle infield. MLB Trade Rumors say the MArlins want to trade him and are looking for controllable pitching (them and everybody else). Castro is 28 and last three years are :

2016 - .270/.300/.433, 21 HRs, 93 OPS+ for the Yankees

2107 - .300/.338/.454, 16 HRs, 106 OPS+ for the Yankees

2018 - .286/.337/.409, 11 HRS, 111 OPS+ (so far) for the Marlins. 

I would trade any of the AAA starters not named Romero or Mejia - Stewart, Gonsalves, Littlel, Slegers, De Jong - plus either a Busenitz/Duffy/Vasquez type reliever (anybody except Rogers, May or Hildenberger) or Gordon, or maybe even both. Either that or Mejia plus an A ball guy. Makes sense I think because Miami is 3-4 years away from any hope of contending and by then Castro will be on the downside, and the Twins hope their window is the next 3-4 years. 

#35 mazeville

mazeville

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:57 PM

Hm.

I think the Twins can contend. They have starters, especially if Berrios takes a step forward and Romero can play a full season. A staff starting with those two, plus Kyle Gibson and Jake Odorizzi and then pick your fifth starter isn't bad. But a stronger starter at the top of that order would look much, much better. Problem I have is that said starter would cost too much either in terms of dollars (and years) in a free agency deal or prospects. 

The biggest question mark to me is Byron Buxton. If he is healthy and can hit the Twins have a much, much better chance of contending than if he isn't. And his status for next year makes me so iffy that I'm inclined to do relatively little going into next year.

I might sign some guys, like Logan Forsythe on a one-year, repair-my-image deal, or a DH and a starter. I most certainly hold off on making any big prospect trades simply because I do not know what I'm going to get out of this team next year. If they're in contention in July, then they can trade a prospect or two to make a run. 

#36 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:14 PM

Starlin Castro has only played SS in 3 games in 3 years. He only has two years of team control left at $13.5M AAV. I don't see the fit.

Edited by Lonestar, 13 September 2018 - 03:35 PM.

#37 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,238 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:16 PM

Maybe, but then how do you explain playing Joe Mauer at 1st and Matt Duffy’s success as a 3rd basemen, despite a lack of power???

They had to play Mauer somewhere. He wasn’t fast enough to play outfield. He probably would have worked at third, but it’s way too late now.

I don’t know if I would call Matt Duffy “successful”. I’d call him cheap and replacement level. Trying to build a career based on one good year.
  • ChrisKnutson likes this

#38 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:19 PM

Still waiting on a completely absurd trade proposition that lands us Trout

#39 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,238 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:21 PM

Trout for Buxton. Straight up.

#40 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,366 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:27 PM

The Twins were a trendy pick to play for as a free agent last off season, and at reduced rates. But all those wonderful (right.....) free agents tanked, and so did the core.... Sano, Buxton, Kepler, Polanco out half the year, Santana all year..... Mauer back to mediocre.....Dozier totally regressed... and even Berrios centered in as a #3 instead of the upside that was anticipated.

Now the Twins will be back to a very unattractive and uncertain option for free agents. I find it so comical that the Angels, a .500 team, can be considered terrible, but the Twins attractive. It takes a Twins' fan to come up with that. It is easy to do, I guess. Rose colored glasses. Hard to see the reality.