Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Offseason Trade Targets

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 466 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:39 AM

I'm once again thinking ahead into the off-season when things may be excited again. 

Much ado has been made about the Twins wanting to shore up the infield defense, and stabilize the core. 

One name that I assume may be on the trade block, as his team has been terrible is Andrelton Simmons. He'd lock up SS for a few years, and allow Polanco to move to his more natural position. Since he's 29, he can be a bit of a veteran presence, but also not cost an arm and a leg. 

Haven't heard his name come up yet, so I thought I'd throw it out there. 

Who do you think may be a target this winter?

#2 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,124 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:08 AM

Angels aren't terrible, nor were they last year. They are one game below .500 in a buzz saw division.

I'm not sure this team trades for Simmons who is owed an average of 14M the next two season. I love him though and I would love for that to happen.

Edited by jimmer, 11 September 2018 - 11:13 AM.

• Twins33 and SF Twins Fan like this

#3 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,061 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:09 AM

The Angels likely aren't going to rebuild during Trout's last 2 years under contract. Simmons has averaged 5.2 bWAR the last 6 years. With 2/28 remaining on his deal, at age 29-30, I think he would be prohibitively expensive (think Royce Lewis).
  • ashburyjohn, Siehbiscuit, beckmt and 3 others like this

#4 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:09 AM

I'd be pretty shocked if the Angels tear down and rebuild while they still have the best player in baseball.
Not commenting whether that's a smart decision or not, but I'd be shocked if they go that way.
  • Twins33 and SF Twins Fan like this

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,061 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:11 AM

Much ado has been made about the Twins wanting to shore up the infield defense, and stabilize the core.

Much ado about Machado? :)
  • ashburyjohn, USAFChief, gunnarthor and 10 others like this

#6 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,061 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:19 AM

Not commenting whether that's a smart decision or not, but I'd be shocked if they go that way.

You think the Angels should tear down right now? I understand they have had some frustrating finishes, but they have too much talent to start a tear-down now.

#7 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,326 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:20 AM

I wonder if the Angels can't come to an agreement with Trout on a contract extension if they shop him this winter? If they trade Trout I imagine they'll do the full tear down and build around Ohtani.

#8 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,124 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:31 AM

You know what's incredible? To think of how awesome Trout has been for so long...then realize he just turned 27 last month.

Buxton will be 25 going into next season...

Edited by jimmer, 11 September 2018 - 11:32 AM.

• Ryan Atkins, Twins33, beckmt and 7 others like this

#9 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:34 AM

I'm once again thinking ahead into the off-season when things may be excited again. 

One name that I assume may be on the trade block, as his team has been terrible is Andrelton Simmons. He'd lock up SS for a few years, and allow Polanco to move to his more natural position. Since he's 29, he can be a bit of a veteran presence, but also not cost an arm and a leg. 

When you write "much ado has been made" I just see Machado

• GP830 and labcrazy like this

#10 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:35 AM

The Angels will be expecting to compete in 2019.A gold glove SS who is peaking offensively and signed for 2 more years...and whom the Angels gave up a top prospect to acquire...will be very expensive.(Nor do the Angels have an incoming SS prospect that is highly-regarded and ready.

But it's moot, as I doubt the Angels will not be looking to move Andrelton Simmons this off-season.At that position, would probably need to find/target a rebuilding/tanking team with a good SS, but wanting to turn it over to a top prospect.I do think finding an upgrade at SS and moving Polanco to 2nd would be a good way to solve the 2019 roster opening for second-base.Although, I'd still advocate for signing Escobar back based on his flexibility.Of course, all questions regarding 2B and SS with hinge on what the FO thinks of Gordon, now that they've had two years to evaluate.

#11 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,061 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:35 AM

I wonder if the Angels can't come to an agreement with Trout on a contract extension if they shop him this winter? If they trade Trout I imagine they'll do the full tear down and build around Ohtani.

You can't trade a guy like Trout and expect anything close to full value in return. And it's not just Trout -- they only have Simmons for 2 more years too.

These Angels are right around .500, and 76-68 by Pythag, despite some massive black holes. They have the financial resources to go after Machado, Ramos, the top SP, etc. to supplement Trout and Simmons, if they want.

Keep in mind they have a fairly new front office too -- they hired GM Billy Eppler just a year before we hired Falvey and Levine. He's not responsible for Pujols, Weaver, Hamilton (whose contract just came off the books this year), etc. The farm system has been slowly improving. I think he's probably earned the chance to see what he can do these next 2 years with Trout, Simmons (one of his first acquisitions), Ohtani, etc.

Edited by spycake, 11 September 2018 - 11:37 AM.

• gil4 likes this

#12 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,843 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:51 AM

Sign Jose Iglesias he isn't Simmons but he'd likely be less money and no prospects given up. He's a very good defender a little light with the bat but would improve the infield.

• stringer bell, PseudoSABR and LA VIkes Fan like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#13 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,326 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:56 AM

You can't trade a guy like Trout and expect anything close to full value in return. And it's not just Trout -- they only have Simmons for 2 more years too.

These Angels are right around .500, and 76-68 by Pythag, despite some massive black holes. They have the financial resources to go after Machado, Ramos, the top SP, etc. to supplement Trout and Simmons, if they want.

Keep in mind they have a fairly new front office too -- they hired GM Billy Eppler just a year before we hired Falvey and Levine. He's not responsible for Pujols, Weaver, Hamilton (whose contract just came off the books this year), etc. The farm system has been slowly improving. I think he's probably earned the chance to see what he can do these next 2 years with Trout, Simmons (one of his first acquisitions), Ohtani, etc.

I agree they will have a hard time receiving full trade value for Trout. As a fan I'd love to read the bonkers trade offers for him though!
  • SF Twins Fan likes this

#14 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,475 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:58 PM

I'd overpay for DeGrom or Syndergaard.

This team needs to get much better with it's on-base skills, I'd look for a better corner bat at 3B or RF.What's Pittsburgh's off season plans this year? Lately they're both cheap and terrible at trades, might Gregory Polanco or Starling Marte be available because of their contracts? Maybe Michael Conforto, Jorge Solar? Will Washington push ahead without Bryce Harper or are they going to look to revamp their team? They have a lot of outfielders either way and I'd be happy to get Adam Eaton in a deal. Winning or losing, Oakland never seems to be shy about tradingwhen they start getting a surplus of similarly skilled players.

I'd buy my relievers in free agency. This year's available bullpen arms might be unprecedented and the Twins have more money than they know what to do with. But this year I'd get the ones with plus velocity and preferably a tad younger. 

#15 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:04 PM

How bout Joey Gallo???
  • GP830 likes this

#16 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:12 PM

Any of the Mets top 3 starting pitchers.

• nicksaviking and GP830 like this

#17 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:00 PM

Does Dallas Keuchel interest anyone and if so what do you think he'll cost this offseason?

• SgtSchmidt11 likes this

#18 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:04 PM

I may be alone on this board, but I do not want to see the Twins trade for the Mets SP's at this current time.

The Twins are not (hopefully) at their apex.It just feels like we'd be rushing and undercutting ourselves by grabbing one of them.

That being said, I'd have no problem if the Twins went out and signed a FA SP (Corbin, Keuchel).Prospects are cheap to pay.

#19 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:11 PM

Does Dallas Keuchel interest anyone and if so what do you think he'll cost this offseason?

Yes.Does 5-6 yrs @ 20-25MM sound right?

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,420 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:18 PM

This is an interesting thread, and all dependent on whether or not people think they can compete in 2019. I think they can, but they will need a 2B, and hopefully some flexibility when Gordon is ready, (Escobar?), a 1B/DH for sure (Cruz I'd hope), a second one if they don't trust Austin (I do, in my case, but I can see why others wouldn't), probably a CF unless they are sold on Cave, and likely some help in the pen (I'm probably more bullish on the pen than most for the record).

I don't see them getting every FA on their wish list, nor do I see a long list of potential fits, so perhaps a trade would make some sense there. I think Nick's desire to go after a Mets SP might make some sense if the Mets wanted some of our upper minors pitching (we have too many guys for not enough spots), but something tells me that the Mets won't do a reverse Johann trade, and I don't see MN parting ways with Lewis, Graterol, Romero, or Kirilloff (two of which would almost certainly be required). 

• beckmt, SF Twins Fan and mazeville like this