Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Week in Review: Little to Like

alex kirilloff royce lewis jorge polanco stephen gonsalves
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 ND-Fan

ND-Fan

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:50 AM

Front office plan is hard to see at this moment because I just don't see the talent that could produce a tending team. The only way we become even respectable is that Buxton and Sano can produce all star numbers. Even with that there are just to many holes in there line up for the coming year we have right now nobody to fill 1st and second signed for next year. Then add in If Sano can play third or is he heading for DH role and fill in first baseman then we need a third baseman. Catcher is also open because Castro will he be ready and Garver is not ready to be full time catcher. Getting to pitching it looks to me were going to see Gibson gone by August of next year. Probably add Pineada to that list too for more future prospects. At the best for next year would be 78 and 84 team but if I was guessing were looking at 67 to 62 wins and 95 to 100 loss team for next year. That's if we stay healthy for next year add couple of injuries and loss total could climb higher in 100's. This team was gutted this year and only Ruesse of the media has come out stated the truth on this. This is why Twins pulled fast one with Buxton on service time they already know that earliest they can contend again is in 3 years thus giving them Buxton for that year. This front office has wasted two years floundering not knowing what to do because this team showed they could win last year but they were not committed to this group so they didn't invest in them. They got very little in return for this group of players Dozier basically nothing, Escobar maybe one future pitcher, and Pressely couple of pitchers but still years until we see them making impact. Remember when we used say the Twins were nothing more than Triple A club next year probably will be the year with exception of couple players on the team. This is frustrating for somebody that is old because I may never see winner again in Minnesota in my lifetime. My boy who's in his 20's has given upon the Twins he has no faith in this management and I wonder how many more of his age have had same feelings about the Twins. This serious for the Twins because they are loosing generation of fans and will take something special to win them back. Also side note on this if Vikings and Timberwolves should produce champions in next 5 years the Twins will not recover until next generation of kids can see a winning franchise. Ownership better take note they were concerned about their brand 2 years ago theyshould be sweating bullets now because their brand has even fallen farther now.

#22 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:59 PM

I have been optimistic about the Twins chances to compete in 2019. That optimism is waining. 
-Good pitchers fading down the stretch.
-Prospect pitchers aren't ready.
-The bullpen is a disaster.
-Fizzling core. 
-Front office isn't on the same page

Despite the Buxton drama, it would not be in his best interest to not play hard. The snub could impact his performance and attitude, but that would not work in his favor either. He can still be a productive player for the next four seasons in Minnesota.

All these issues and yet some are still clinging onto the idea that we’re a couple FA away from winning the WC game again, oh wait.....
  • BBAM likes this

#23 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,458 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:53 PM

Sano's horrendous slide stressed his knee and bruised his lower leg. That was the pain and pain show. That would have happened if he slid like that regardless of the intramedullary nail in his tibia. For what I have read about it post occurrence, nothing regarding the rod/nail has be compromised. (I have had one in my right tibia for 27 years. No problems. Even ran a marathon.....) 

Sano's problems seem to have everything to do with his habits, his commitment, his shape, and his approach, and very little, if anything, to do with the procedure.

#24 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:24 PM

Just about anyone could replace Santana on the mound. Pineda, Mejia, or some middle of the rotation offseason FA. I'm not sure what leads you to believe he's still good. 

As far as mentoring, I can't speak to his clubhouse presence because they don't let me in there, but complaining publicly about the front office when he hasn't done anything himself to help the team this year doesn't seem like the behavior of a veteran mentor.

Good to know that you think Mejia will be better, not sure about Pineda, another player coming off an injury.Do you know any middle of the rotation that will be available AND want to come here.I was glad he said what he did.Dozier did the same thing last year. 

#25 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:45 PM

I thought they did a lot to improve the BP?The regulars seem to be really bad.Belisle 8.62 ERA, Busenitz 6.56 and rising, Duffey 9+ and so on.Maybe it was a different year I am thinking of.

#26 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,239 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:55 AM

This has never been my take...but the season is too long and they should start the playoffs in the middle of September. All of this irrelevant September baseball is a drag on the sport

Start following the NL right now -- there are some awesome races and storylines going on over there. Upwards of 6 relevant games every night.

And then come back to the AL for playoff time -- yeah, a few great teams have helped make September less exciting this year, but that could also be the recipe for a pretty compelling October.

#27 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:16 AM

He was good last year, before this injury. I'm not sure what reason we have to be confident that'll still be true next year. He'll be 36 and coming off a very problematic injury that cost him an entire season. 

If he is brought back, he can perform as the #3/#4/#5 guy most of the Twins fans kept expecting him to be anyway. May as well bring him back.

• BBAM likes this

#28 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,239 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:59 AM

If he is brought back, he can perform as the #3/#4/#5 guy most of the Twins fans kept expecting him to be anyway. May as well bring him back.

Can he? Erv was pretty awful this year even after plenty of rest and rehab -- he might be cooked. I think I'd rather take a shot on someone else at this point, if at all possible.
  • Twins33 likes this

#29 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:05 AM

Can he? Erv was pretty awful this year even after plenty of rest and rehab -- he might be cooked. I think I'd rather take a shot on someone else at this point, if at all possible.

Yes. By the numbers, #3 pitchers are league-average. #4 and #5 pitchers are net minuses, especially the #5. Can he do that? Yep!

#30 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,964 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:25 AM

Yes. By the numbers, #3 pitchers are league-average. #4 and #5 pitchers are net minuses, especially the #5.

Not on good teams.

• USAFChief likes this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#31 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,947 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:39 AM

Unless Erv finds that missing 3 MPH in his fastball he's cooked. He was at his best with the Twins and throughout his career when his FB was sitting 92-94 with the occasional 96. He won't survive with an 88-90 MPH fastball.
  • ashburyjohn and Twins33 like this

#32 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:54 PM

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#33 baumannmd

baumannmd

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:39 PM

Good to know that you think Mejia will be better, not sure about Pineda, another player coming off an injury. Do you know any middle of the rotation that will be available AND want to come here. I was glad he said what he did. Dozier did the same thing last year.

#34 baumannmd

baumannmd

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:45 PM

As far as free agents go, Drew Pomernaz and Gio Gonzales look pretty good to me. I’m sure there are plenty of other decent pitchers who can be acquired through free agency or trade. But that’s less important than whether or not Santana is actually worthy of a middle of the rotation spot. I haven’t seen anything to show me that he is. He’s been injured or ineffective all year and wasn’t great the last 1/4 to 1/3 of last season. I don’t hate Santana in the least; I’m just realistic about his current and future value.

Comparing his statements this season to Dozier’s last is misleading. Dozier contributed all last season and was irritated by them trading their closer before the trade deadline in a season where the team had a shot. Santana has contributed nothing this season, essentially said that there were no good players left on the team, and did so while the Twins had no realistic shot at a postseason berth.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alex kirilloff, royce lewis, jorge polanco, stephen gonsalves