Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Astudillo

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,968 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 08:58 AM

I am hopeful. These observations come from watching TV and therefore probably aren’t worthy of writing down.

I love his energy and he seems athletic. The tag out play was awesome.

He seems to have a good arm and can block pitches.

His glove could be more quiet receiving the ball on the edges. He can try to jerk the ball into the zone.

There seems to be a communication problem at times. Some at bats are lengthy and he gets shaken off. Is that because he isn’t executing the game plan? Take a look at the last at bat. Hildenberger got ahead and then they couldn’t connect on how to proceed. At 2-2 Perez asked for time twice as Hildenberger and Astudillo couldn’t get on the same page. Pitchers have to have confidence in his pitch calling. He has to know the plan though I am not sure the Twins have any clue on how to pitch to Perez.

From my view on the couch it seems like he has enough skill to be at least a mediocre defensive catcher.

That's really awesome to hear.Given the dearth of viable two-way catchers around the league, his bat doesn't have to be amazing as long as his defense holds up to your observations.And I'd say, at this point, his bat would play very well for this level of defense.

Let's hope this is a player.Going into the offseason with Garver/Astudillo/Castro is something I'm comfortable with at this point.

#102 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,060 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:17 AM

How much confidence should he Twins have in Astudillo? Do they address catcher in the off-season finding a veteran for the 25 man roster?

Isn't that Castro? Unless you want to trade Garver, I don't know if there is realistically room to add another catcher this offseason.
  • stringer bell likes this

#103 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,238 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:51 PM

How much confidence should he Twins have in Astudillo? Do they address catcher in the off-season finding a veteran for the 25 man roster?

Yeah. Jason Castro. 😎

#104 dbminn

dbminn

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:49 AM

Gleeman just published a nice - and free - article on Astudillo at BP. If Willians can get in a little better shape and be just a tad more patient, he could be a really good major leaguer. Watching last night, it seems like he's already making good on the patience thing. 

#105 Eris

Eris

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:14 AM

I don't see this mentioned here.I was listening to the game last night on MLB At Bat.Astudillo's streak of at bats without a swinging strike ended last night at 33 plate appearances.

#106 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:12 PM

It's a no brainer for me to keep this guy around for next season. He plays harder than anyone on the team. Let's also be honest here, neither of the other 2 guys are any better than average or below average and one or both of them is hurt.

Great in the clubhouse, plays his heart out, guys love him. I'd give him a spot. 

• Mike Sixel and notoriousgod71 like this