Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Astudillo

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#81 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:24 AM

and 40 nights ?

He gave up catching for lent.

Lent?

Well, summer lent.

Summer lent?

It's when turtles recognize lent.

10 4
  • Riverbrian likes this

#82 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,220 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:00 AM

In defense of the Twins decision to use Wilson and perhaps a reason the Cubs looked to add him in August.

Berrios has thrown to Wilson for about half of his batter faced this season. With Wilson, Berrios has struck out 28.1% of batters. Without Wilson his rate is 20.9%.

How meaningful is a partial sample of a partial season of this stat, though?

FWIW, Berrios had +5% K rate with Gimenez as compared to Castro in 2017. Is that less meaningful to the Cubs or Twins?

#83 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:34 PM

How meaningful is a partial sample of a partial season of this stat, though?

FWIW, Berrios had +5% K rate with Gimenez as compared to Castro in 2017. Is that less meaningful to the Cubs or Twins?

The samples are 360 (with Wilson) and 358 (without Wilson). They are not random though as Wilson eventually became Berrios' primary catcher and caught the middle months of the season. 

Strikeout rates stabilize earlier than any other plate appearance outcome. If random it might start to become reliable at 150 PAs. It isn't random though.

My point was that it might be his ability as a receiver. In my opinion he is the most skilled receiver that Twins have put behind the plate in several years. Some in baseball may not value that skill. I think the Cubs are an organization that does value that skill. Why else would they be interested in him? His very poor bat is well established. 

To be clear, my original reply was in response to reading comments similar to ...

"How was Wilson able to block Astudillo from playing time?"

Maybe I should have just said that it might be his receiving skills rather than highlighting some data.

I don't plan on replying and getting into another belabored exchange. I will read your response.

#84 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,220 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:52 PM

My point was that it might be his ability as a receiver. In my opinion he is the most skilled receiver that Twins have put behind the plate in several years. Some in baseball may not value that skill. I think the Cubs are an organization that does value that skill. Why else would they be interested in him? His very poor bat is well established.

If that's the case, why did the Twins trade him for no discernable benefit? Even when hurt, wouldn't we want to keep him around to help Garver or even Astudillo? If not help our young pitchers in September once he is healthy himself?

Also, the Cubs weren't necessarily acquiring Wilson to play him, at least not in the same role as the Twins were doing. They have 2 catchers already -- they could have simply looked to Wilson as a no-cost upgrade over Gimenez for 3rd string. Which doesn't really speak to whether they think his overall skill set is worth regular playing time.

#85 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:54 PM

So he just made one of the most athletic plays I have seen from a twins catcher in quite some time. It’s inexplicable to me how he isn’t getting 75% of the remaining innings

#86 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,858 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:55 AM

So he just made one of the most athletic plays I have seen from a twins catcher in quite some time. It’s inexplicable to me how he isn’t getting 75% of the remaining innings

i still wanna see Garver get the majority of time behind the dish, but agreed Astudillo should get more than he has gotten.

#87 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,420 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:36 AM

I have (I think understandably) tuned out the Twins.Anyone have a quick and dirty take on his defense so far?

#88 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:19 AM

I have (I think understandably) tuned out the Twins.Anyone have a quick and dirty take on his defense so far?

QnD: he's been good.

The stats show 60 innings so far, he's thrown out 2 of 5 basestealers, no passed balls, 1 wild pitch. This confirms my eye test while watching on teevee. No drama back there. I've said before, he's "quiet" behind the plate, a good trait. I've noticed a reasonable number of well-framed pitches on the corners for strikes - I'm not sure he's a magician but he's not giving away strikes either.

I was expecting much different. The one game I saw him in person, that game in Pawtucket, they were hiding him in LF.

Catcher is sometimes like Sherlock Holmes's dog that didn't bark. If you have to stop and think about the guy, maybe it means he's doing things right.

• TheLeviathan, DocBauer and Platoon like this

I always go the extra mile. That's what happens when you get lost easily.

#89 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:27 AM

I am hopeful. These observations come from watching TV and therefore probably aren’t worthy of writing down.

I love his energy and he seems athletic. The tag out play was awesome.

He seems to have a good arm and can block pitches.

His glove could be more quiet receiving the ball on the edges. He can try to jerk the ball into the zone.

There seems to be a communication problem at times. Some at bats are lengthy and he gets shaken off. Is that because he isn’t executing the game plan? Take a look at the last at bat. Hildenberger got ahead and then they couldn’t connect on how to proceed. At 2-2 Perez asked for time twice as Hildenberger and Astudillo couldn’t get on the same page. Pitchers have to have confidence in his pitch calling. He has to know the plan though I am not sure the Twins have any clue on how to pitch to Perez.

From my view on the couch it seems like he has enough skill to be at least a mediocre defensive catcher.

Edited by jorgenswest, 15 September 2018 - 08:28 AM.

• ashburyjohn, Oldgoat_MN, TheLeviathan and 3 others like this

#90 OldTimeTwinkie

OldTimeTwinkie

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:04 AM

Escobar is only a utility player, that was a said over and over again yet he kept producing. Astudillo just keeps producing so...
quit looking for reasons why he shouldn't be a major league and let the results speak for themselves.
  • Oldgoat_MN, Dozier's Glorious Hair and Doctor Wu like this

#91 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:43 AM

A baseball blogger who I respect, and at times even agree with recently posted that Astudillo has no business near any teams 25 man roster next year? I totally disagree. He isn't the greatest thing going, but due to his versatility, the dire lack of MLB capable catchers, and the short bench he certainly can play somewhere for someone. I appreciate defensive chops, but I really don't see any catchers the Twins employ who's glove mandates their starting position.

I see a useful Chris Hermann-type bench role for him. Except that Hermann couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag or play any positions usefully.

#92 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,313 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:53 AM

This kid is rapidly becoming my new favorite Twin.
  • ashburyjohn, Oldgoat_MN, Sconnie and 3 others like this

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#93 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,088 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:16 PM

Astudillo has an interesting skill set. Extreme contact, average power, and he seems to be an adequate defensive catcher, taking into accounts all aspects of the position. 

I do note that he hasn't hit for this kind of power in the minors until this year. Also, he's always played all over the field. BBRef says that he belonged to the Phillies, Braves and Diamondbacks and they all released him. Certainly, he's someone to keep around this off-season, with a floor of being a third catcher who could bounce between Triple A and the majors and an undetermined ceiling.

• Oldgoat_MN, DocBauer and Platoon like this

#94 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,852 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:39 PM

He suffers from that most non metric of all deficiencies. He doesn't look like a baseball player. I also think he's quicker than he looks. So whatever he does has to be better than normal. It's really nice to see a player who has such a high contact rate. As jorgen mentioned he does pull too many pitches too far when catching. This tends to make umpires reticent to call anything he moves. But I do like the way he plays. That was some effort on the bunt. Too bad he wasn't around when Gardy was. Gardy could have had his third catcher in case one catcher suffered a heart attack, and the other came down with lime disease, all in the same game. And he would have still had someone to play in the field with his two man bench. :)
  • mngopherguy likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#95 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,220 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 02:48 PM

BBRef says that he belonged to the Phillies, Braves and Diamondbacks and they all released him.

Technically, Astudillo has never been released -- just not added to a 40-man roster until this year, so he's been able to elect minor league free agency the past few offseasons. Like Dereck Rodriguez last offseason.

Still, the effect is largely the same -- 3 orgs passed on adding him to the 40-man before he came here. Although there were some mitigating circumstances to those decisions -- when the Phillies faced that choice, he was still in A-ball; the Braves, after he had his worst season as a pro, at AA; the Diamondbacks, after he missed most of a season to injury.

#96 mngopherguy

mngopherguy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:54 PM

A lot better than I expected.I'll have a plate of Crow so far on that.  

• ashburyjohn likes this

#97 mngopherguy

mngopherguy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:56 PM

I like watching him play and I'm happy for the guy, but this still seems like LaMarre.Even with everyone going well for him, he's been on the wrong side of a .300 OBP.I don't think it's sustainable, but it's fun to watch and I hope he proves me wrong.  

• Doctor Wu likes this

#98 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,220 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 06:32 AM

I like watching him play and I'm happy for the guy, but this still seems like LaMarre. Even with everyone going well for him, he's been on the wrong side of a .300 OBP. I don't think it's sustainable, but it's fun to watch and I hope he proves me wrong.

Are you looking at the wrong stat line? Astudillo has only been below .300 OBP once in his pro career, dating back to 2009. And it was clearly his worse season too. (2016, AA for the Braves)

Even when LaMarre was hot, he was striking out every other at-bat. That is what it made it unsustainable.

As long as he keeps making contact, Astudillo's bat should be useful. (And if the power somehow sticks around, he should be more than useful!)

Edited by spycake, 16 September 2018 - 06:33 AM.

• Oldgoat_MN, Sconnie and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#99 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:44 AM

How much confidence should he Twins have in Astudillo? Do they address catcher in the off-season finding a veteran for the 25 man roster?

#100 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 08:02 AM

I just enjoy watching Astudillo play.  Miss seeing the hustle from others.

I enjoy watching him play too, perhaps one of the few players on this current team I can say that about. Stats aside, he's a fun player to watch and to root for. Oddball players like him are why I love the game so much. And if he DOES keep putting up good numbers, the Twins would be foolish to think he's a just a "small sample" flash in the pan and not worth keeping. Keep him!

• Oldgoat_MN and twinssporto like this