Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Astudillo

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#41 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Grab a bat, punk!"

• Members
  • 7,343 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:48 AM

Astudillo scoring from first on a double. "The most exciting two minutes in sports," as they say.

As a catcher, I do NOT block the plate against that runner, if the ball comes to me. "The tally is yours, good sir!" :)

Catcher? Pfft. If I'm the home plate umpire when Stu chugs around third and heads for home, then he reports the outcome of the play at the plate to me afterwards at my safe vantage point in the fifth row. 

Honor system, like when farmers used to sell sweet corn by the sack and put out a coffee can to leave a dollar.

Edited by LaBombo, 13 September 2018 - 09:49 AM.

• ashburyjohn, glunn, Riverbrian and 1 other like this

#42 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Grab a bat, punk!"

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:51 AM

I'm afraid Trevor May has earned a moderator's warning point for disrespectful tweeting. :)

If it's any consolation, this one may fall under the category of 'no harm, no foul, as a veterinarian friend of mine has reassured me that tortoises are generally not Twitter users.

• ashburyjohn, nicksaviking, Riverbrian and 2 others like this

#43 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:54 AM

Catcher? Pfft. If I'm the home plate umpire when Stu chugs around third and heads for home, then he reports the outcome of the play at the plate to me afterwards at my safe vantage point in the fifth row.

No need to rush, though, if that's your preferred destination. Stand your ground, and you'll be in the fifth row soon enough.

• LaBombo likes this

I always go the extra mile. That's what happens when you get lost easily.

#44 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,797 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:11 AM

That ends up being 5.1 innings of no-hit baseball caught by Astundillo. From a veteran pitcher and not the AAA guys that Molitor usually lets Astundillo catch. 

Still haven't seen anything that justifies Wilson being necessary because of defensive considerations. 

I continue to wonder why Astundillo did not catch during his first visit. 

With all due respect to Paul Molitor:

Could this be a case of Astundillo being called up for the utility role and Molitor being so insistent on clearly defined roles that he would not deviate and let Astundillo catch? Some sort of obsessive compulsive manager style? 

How did Wilson become our #1 Catcher?

How was Wilson able to block Astundillo from playing time at Catcher on a team starving for offense? 

Edited by Riverbrian, 13 September 2018 - 10:14 AM.

• nicksaviking, LaBombo, beckmt and 6 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#45 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:23 AM

That ends up being 5.1 innings of no-hit baseball caught by Astundillo. From a veteran pitcher and not the AAA guys that Molitor usually lets Astundillo catch. 

Still haven't seen anything that justifies Wilson being necessary because of defensive considerations. 

I continue to wonder why Astundillo did not catch during his first visit. 

Could this be a case of Astundillo being called up for the utility role and Molitor being so insistent on clearly defined roles that he would not deviate and let Astundillo catch? Some sort of obsessive compulsive manager style? 

How did Wilson become our #1 Catcher?

How was Wilson able to block Astundillo from playing time at Catcher on a team starving for offense? 

M. O. Y.

• Platoon likes this

#46 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:33 AM

Honor system, like when farmers used to sell sweet corn by the sack and put out a coffee can to leave a dollar.

Meh, force equals mass times acceleration. Astudilllo was probably slowing down by the time he reached home.
  • LaBombo likes this

#47 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,679 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:38 AM

Molitor was the brains and finances behind 9/11.

Conspiracy theories are fun.
  • TheLeviathan likes this

#48 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,852 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:53 AM

Used to? They still do here, and potatoes, gourds, squash, popcorn, and if your lucky enough to get into WI near the cranberry bogs, fresh cranberrys! :)
  • LaBombo likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#49 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,797 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:59 AM

Molitor was the brains and finances behind 9/11.

Conspiracy theories are fun.

I did not know that. 

How was he able to disguise his involvement? 

Founded 4-23-16 

#50 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,852 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:59 AM

A baseball blogger who I respect, and at times even agree with recently posted that Astudillo has no business near any teams 25 man roster next year? I totally disagree. He isn't the greatest thing going, but due to his versatility, the dire lack of MLB capable catchers, and the short bench he certainly can play somewhere for someone. I appreciate defensive chops, but I really don't see any catchers the Twins employ who's glove mandates their starting position.
  • Oldgoat_MN, DocBauer, David HK and 2 others like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#51 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,679 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:05 AM

I did not know that.

How was he able to disguise his involvement?

Distracting you by keeping Astudillo on the bench. And sabotaging young players on the Twins. Keeping starters in the game too long or not long enough. There's something else I'm missing that's directly his fault.
  • TheLeviathan, Platoon and David HK like this

#52 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Grab a bat, punk!"

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:08 AM

Meh, force equals mass times acceleration. Astudilllo was probably slowing down by the time he reached home.

Agreed; he almost certainly was beginning to fire the retro rockets before he crossed the plate, as indicated by the backstop not sporting an Astudillo-shaped hole after the play.

But be it force or momentum, the a or the v is only half of the product, and Stu is bringing a whole lotta m to the party.

And beyond the science of Stu pulling into the pier, there's the issue of man's innate primal fear of being crushed by a heavy, rolling object, which is what caused you to inadvertently flinch the first time you saw this scene:

giphy.gif

On a less off topic-y note, Astudillo is a little bit of a good news-bad news guy for me. The better he plays in September, the more likely it is that we've found a ball player at a thin position, which is great, and also extremely entertaining.

But the better he looks, the more evidence there is that the Twins have a serious flaw in their process for determining which players to put on the roster and on the field.

Edited by LaBombo, 13 September 2018 - 11:10 AM.

• ashburyjohn, Platoon, David HK and 1 other like this

#53 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,797 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:17 AM

Distracting you by keeping Astudillo on the bench. And sabotaging young players on the Twins. Keeping starters in the game too long or not long enough. There's something else I'm missing that's directly his fault.

Nothing was his fault?

Or have you just reached the point where you are dismissing anything I mention directly out of hand.

Founded 4-23-16 

#54 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:22 AM

I'm so far down the replace Molitor road that there's no going back for me, but Astundillo is doing some catching now, so either Molitor wasn't against it at the time or someone gave him a talking to about the situation prior to the recall.

It would be a fantastic question for La Velle to ask him directly.

• LaBombo, Riverbrian, Jham and 2 others like this

#55 twinssporto

twinssporto

Throwin' Aspirins

• Members
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:27 AM

I just enjoy watching Astudillo play.  Miss seeing the hustle from others.

• nicksaviking, LaBombo, Riverbrian and 3 others like this

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#56 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,797 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:59 PM

I'm so far down the replace Molitor road that there's no going back for me, but Astundillo is doing some catching now, so either Molitor wasn't against it at the time or someone gave him a talking to about the situation prior to the recall.

It would be a fantastic question for La Velle to ask him directly.

It's impossible to know and it kinda drives me crazy.

Does Molitor have complete control of these decisions?

Are the pitchers hand picking their catchers?

Are these decisions being strongly suggested by superiors? 

Are they by conference?

For the record... I have no problem with Bobby Wilson getting a chance but after getting that chance... at some point... someone in the organization has to look at what he did with that chance and consider it in context of what was happening on the field. 

We were dead in the water from the right side of the plate. Buxton was missing pitches by two feet, Sano was going to set the strikeout record. Dozier was in the .600 OPS Range and Wilson was our primary catcher. 

Look at his current .523 OPS and then consider his career .577 OPS... and then notice that he is 35 years old and move on. 

We could all see that Garver had some noticable defensive issues so I can kind of understand Garver being the secondary catcher, even if he had the best right handed offensive stats on the team when all our right handers were belly up.

I assumed that Astundillo wasn't able to catch because he wasn't competent. Turns out that he is looking competent so far. Astundillo should have caught during his first time up insteadof sitting for 14 days. 

• nicksaviking, beckmt, DocBauer and 3 others like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#57 Bill Brown69

Bill Brown69

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:51 PM

He didn't catch the first time up because he hadn't caught in AAA for nearly 40 days. 

I am not going to shed a singe tear when Molitor is fired but this one is on either the AAA club or the FO.

• Han Joelo, nicksaviking, Riverbrian and 1 other like this

#58 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:13 PM

He didn't catch the first time up because he hadn't caught in AAA for nearly 40 days. 

I am not going to shed a singe tear when Molitor is fired but this one is on either the AAA club or the FO.

Looking at his game logs it looks like at Rochester he caught near exclusively in May, then only had a spot inning or two after June 2nd followed by his MLB promotion on June 30th.

Yeah, I guess in June someone looked at the Twins organizational catcher depth and said, "Nah, we're good here".

• Riverbrian, Oldgoat_MN and Platoon like this

#59 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,797 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:37 PM

Looking at his game logs it looks like at Rochester he caught near exclusively in May, then only had a spot inning or two after June 2nd followed by his MLB promotion on June 30th.

Yeah, I guess in June someone looked at the Twins organizational catcher depth and said, "Nah, we're good here".

The 40 day thing is quite possible because I really don't have another reason that makes sense. 

However... the 40 day thing leads to more questions. 

1. As Nick says... How do they move him off the plate for 40 days in consideration of our organizational depth chart?

2. When you consider that he has over 2000 innings behind the plate does the 40 days really matter. 

3. When you consider that the other teams move players around on the fly in the midst of playoff races. Shaw to 2B and Schoop to SS with the Brewers and Indians acquired Josh Donaldson and then moved Jose Ramirez to 2Band Jason Kipnis to CF to accommodate. Yes it's not catcher but what are they afraid of. 

All in all... I don't care about Astundillo... I hope he makes a career for himself but I'm not counting on it. But... I do care about the decisions that Wilson is the primary catcher and Astundillo can't catch as we suffer through a .523 OPS unnecessarily. 

So if those 40 days were the reason. It only brings up more concerns and as I watch the Brewers, Indians, Dodgers, Cubs slide players around on a dime while in contention... I'm wondering why we can't when we are out of contention. 

• DocBauer likes this

Founded 4-23-16 

#60 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:45 PM

Astudillo currently has an OPS of .802, tied with Rosario.

I'm not sure that will last, but there is no good reason to not be playing him. He puts the ball in play, sometimes for extra bases.

I'm a fan.

• Sconnie, DocBauer and Doctor Wu like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln