Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Astudillo

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:15 PM

Astudillo seems a lot like the type of player the Twins won games with in the 00s. He would have fit in on those teams.

Didn't those teams do a good job of walking? minus Hunter

#22 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:34 PM

Didn't those teams do a good job of walking? minus Hunter

And Jones. And Guzman. And Rivas. And Pierzynski. So yeah, other than 5/9 of the lineup.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 10 September 2018 - 02:36 PM.

#23 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:53 PM

I absolutely could see Astudillo as a 25th man type. I don’t think anyone thinks he is some sort of superstar in the making or even an “everyday” utility type. But his versatility is definitely an asset that can’t be ignored.

If the choice is between a 27 year old that can play 4-6 positions and a 36 year old that plays 1 I think the decision is pretty easy.

But that’s me.
  • Riverbrian, beckmt, Sconnie and 3 others like this

#24 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:33 PM

If the Twins think he can catch in the majors (in games that count...not just Sept mop-up games)...then I like him to remain on the 40.

His career minor league OPS is about 750.He'd never shown much offensive value (beyond what would be considered decent for a catcher)...until he started showing occasional power.And that only started this year.The defensive flexibility is great, but it's not like he's going to be a late-inning defensive replacement anywhere on the field.He'll justify the roster spot with the bat...and that means, he'll have to continue to show the power.

• Danchat, DannySD and Nine of twelve like this

#25 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,679 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:43 PM

Unless he's out of options, he's the perfect guy to be the 3rd catcher on the 40 man roster. I'd have no problems with him being the backup plan in that sense.

I doubt Astudillo wants to spend another 2 years in the minors, and would like a real opportunity somewhere. If he wants to be a C it's not going to be in Minnesota with Castro returning from injury.

There are plenty of teams that will still be tanking in 2019 that could give him 300-400 PAs. Who knows, maybe the Twins will be one of those tanking teams!
  • Platoon likes this

#26 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,544 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:53 PM

I doubt Astudillo wants to spend another 2 years in the minors, and would like a real opportunity somewhere. If he wants to be a C it's not going to be in Minnesota with Castro returning from injury.

There are plenty of teams that will still be tanking in 2019 that could give him 300-400 PAs. Who knows, maybe the Twins will be one of those tanking teams!

Astudillo doesn't really have a choice in this particular matter. 

Let's hope we aren't one of those tanking teams personally. 

• USAFChief, Riverbrian and SF Twins Fan like this

#27 Tuba

Tuba

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:55 PM

REJECT the false "three true outcomes". There is only one true outcome and that is CONTACT. HAIL ASTUDILLO

• LaBombo, Riverbrian, beckmt and 6 others like this

#28 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:00 PM

I doubt any player in the minors wants to be in the minors.
He's still under team control for quite some time. It's not his decision.
  • Riverbrian, SF Twins Fan and Nine of twelve like this

#29 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:12 PM

I think the Twins will keep him on the 40-man because he'll be gone on the first pick in rule 5 (assuming he's eligible). I doubt he'd be the 25th player if Castro and Garver are healthy next spring but he's too valuable to jettison.

#30 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,797 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:29 PM

Use them options. 

Stash in Rochester. Call him up when needed. 

• USAFChief, Sconnie, DocBauer and 1 other like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#31 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:35 PM

I think the Twins will keep him on the 40-man because he'll be gone on the first pick in rule 5 (assuming he's eligible). I doubt he'd be the 25th player if Castro and Garver are healthy next spring but he's too valuable to jettison.

He wouldn't go to Rule V. We would have to send him through waivers in order for him to theoretically be eligible for Rule V, and waiver claims are less restrictive than Rule V pickups, so anyone who wants him would just claim him rather than select him in Rule V.

#32 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,420 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:24 PM

He seems like a nice bench option next year.Versatility is a very nice aspect to his game.

• Oldgoat_MN, DocBauer and Platoon like this

#33 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:19 AM

The clip of him running last night is probably a top 5 moment from this season in my book

• Oldgoat_MN, David HK, Doctor Wu and 1 other like this

#34 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:24 AM

The clip of him running last night is probably a top 5 moment from this season in my book

Astudillo scoring from first on a double. "The most exciting two minutes in sports," as they say.

As a catcher, I do NOT block the plate against that runner, if the ball comes to me. "The tally is yours, good sir!" :)

• Han Joelo, nicksaviking, LaBombo and 5 others like this

I always go the extra mile. That's what happens when you get lost easily.

#35 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:30 AM

Nice bench option. Can also catch. Play lots of positions. Could be the Face of the Franchise?

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#36 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:57 AM

He seems like a nice bench option next year.Versatility is a very nice aspect to his game.

So, with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs, if he comes to the plate should a free pass be a given for the opposing team? You know he's not going to strike out and he's not going to unintentionally take a walk so there's next to no point in trying to pitch around him.

On the other hand, he's not at all an intimidating hitter. 

#37 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:05 AM

So, with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs, if he comes to the plate should a free pass be a given for the opposing team? You know he's not going to strike out and he's not going to unintentionally take a walk so there's next to no point in trying to pitch around him.

On the other hand, he's not at all an intimidating hitter. 

Steady diet of low pitches that can't reasonably be lofted to the outfield, in that scenario, and dare him to walk.

#38 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:22 AM

I absolutely could see Astudillo as a 25th man type. I don’t think anyone thinks he is some sort of superstar in the making or even an “everyday” utility type. But his versatility is definitely an asset that can’t be ignored.

If the choice is between a 27 year old that can play 4-6 positions and a 36 year old that plays 1 I think the decision is pretty easy.

But that’s me.

I would think that the fact that the 36 year old back up catcher is a .170 hitter should also have something to do with it.

Think about it, they could have called up Astidullio a long time ago, even before his first call up, in place of Bobby Wilson. With WIlson we knew EXACTLY what we were getting, and if the FO did not know then they should be fired.

Instead of giving Wilson 47 games and 151 plate appearances (all to hit with an OPS of .523) why not give Willians those games and see what you got? Add the 17 games he has appeared in, and maybe give him some time at other positions, he could have had 65-85 games to demonstrate what he could do.

Why not?I get the "defense", but frankly I think the thinking about "pitch framing" and "game calling" are very overrated.Have the pitching coach call the game if you need to.Instead, this Front Office seems fixated on adding 35+ year old weak hitting catchers to the roster.They might as well let the pitchers bat.ANd even if Astudillo is worse, who cares.Losing a handful of games because we have him catching instead of Bobby WIlson or Chris GIminez would be worth finding out if the guy could be that catching Cesar Tovar who can adequately play several positions in a pinch and isn't a complete pushover at the plate. In the end, losing 87 games (the pace we are on now) or 90 games, or even 95 games really is meaningless.

Further, I think on a losing team having a character like Willians might at least make the team worth watching a bit.  

I'll say another thing,It would be different plugging in a "defensive" catcher in a lineup that had lots of good hitters in the lineup.But the 2018 Twins did not have that luxury. Our lineup was weak, and adding such a poor hitter, even in the place of Mitch Garver, just took it to another level weaker.

Edited by mlhouse, 13 September 2018 - 09:24 AM.

• Platoon likes this

#39 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:30 AM

La Tortuga

• ashburyjohn, LaBombo, Craig Arko and 4 others like this

#40 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:47 AM

I'm afraid Trevor May has earned a moderator's warning point for disrespectful tweeting. :)

• nicksaviking, Riverbrian, Oldgoat_MN and 2 others like this