Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Astudillo

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 03:37 PM

More HR than K.

• glunn, nicksaviking, snepp and 3 others like this

#2 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,802 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 09 September 2018 - 03:49 PM

I admit I was watching the Vikings and Twins at the same time and probably more Vikings than Twins. 

I didn't see every single pitch or situation today but from what I did see and have seen before... Astundillo LOOKS CATCHING CAPABLE!!! 

I am going to continue to wonder out loud on these airwaves.

Why didn't Astundillo catch during his first call up?  

He was up for 18 games. He didn't play in 11 of those 18 games. He came off the bench for 3 of those 18 games and he made 4 starts, 2 at 3B, 1 at 2B and 1 at DH. 

Choosing Bobby Wilson over Astundillo is hard to explain at this moment.:)  

• glunn, Jerr, nicksaviking and 6 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#3 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 04:23 PM

Choosing Bobby Wilson for a rebuilding team is hard to explain

• Jerr, LaBombo, Oldgoat_MN and 3 others like this

#4 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:46 AM

Choosing Bobby Wilson for any reason is hard to explain.

• adorduan, David HK, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this

#5 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

ob's cure

• Members
  • 7,084 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:53 AM

Building up trade value?
  • ashburyjohn and Riverbrian like this

#6 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,805 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:00 AM

I bet there's a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over on Diamondbacks Daily about the one who got away.

• glunn, Sconnie, Jham and 2 others like this

I always go the extra mile. That's what happens when you get lost easily.

#7 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:13 AM

Why didn't Astundillo catch during his first call up? 

You ask this knowing that Molitor is the manager?

• Jerr, Riverbrian, beckmt and 5 others like this

#8 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:18 AM

There always have been and always will be a few late-season call-ups who do well. But for every one of them who succeeds there will be some Joe Bensons and Chris Parmelees. We all hope Astudillo can become a real major leaguer, but it's still too soon to start planning around him.

• beckmt and Danchat like this

#9 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:23 AM

It makes some sense to "ease in" pitchers. Molitor likes to call them up the same day they pitch. This hasn't worked well.

It makes zero sense to "ease in" position players. Molitor calls them up and sits them on the bench and plays them out of position, then sends them back to the minors without having gotten a look at them.

Trying to figure out what Molitor is thinking is an exercise in futility. His decisions are bizarre.

• Riverbrian, beckmt, Taildragger8791 and 2 others like this

#10 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:54 AM

Bobby Wilson was our path to getting Chris Gimenez back. C'mon.

• USAFChief, glunn, Riverbrian and 6 others like this

#11 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:03 AM

I loved the mob at home plate for Astudillo. That was awesome. I guess you could call him a "non-standard" skill set, but I like him. Doesn't seem bad behind the plate, throws well, has his head in the game, puts the bat on the ball ... always. Runs like he's carrying a refrigerator, but hey, he's a catcher. I missed his CF appearance. That must have looked unique.

Edited by AceWrigley, 10 September 2018 - 09:03 AM.

• glunn, Riverbrian, Circus Boy and 4 others like this

#12 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 1,561 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:16 AM

I loved the mob at home plate for Astudillo. That was awesome. I guess you could call him a "non-standard" skill set, but I like him. Doesn't seem bad behind the plate, throws well, has his head in the game, puts the bat on the ball ... always. Runs like he's carrying a refrigerator, but hey, he's a catcher. I missed his CF appearance. That must have looked unique.

And Gorg's "great hair" comment is a classic.

• Riverbrian and SF Twins Fan like this

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish saying

#13 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:31 AM

Astudlllo will be a nice keeper on the 40-an. Expect the Twins to do so. Yes, can't understand why Wilson was up. If you want him to work with pitchers, should be doing it at Rochester where all the starters of the future were pitching. I don't see a reason to keep Gimenez on the 40-man, unless you have more than enough other names to eliminate. Navaretto might be the only catcher you have to consider as an add. But will someone grab him Rule 5? Does he have a chance to make the Twins as a backup? He'll need to start at Rochester otherwise.

Astudillo is a good keeper. He can catch (be the third catcher) and looks to play every other position on the diamond adequately, which is a plus...even pitcher if you don't care.

DH/OF: Grossman or Astudillo - especially if you have Austin on the team. 

• David HK likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#14 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,690 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:43 AM

I don't see Astudillo back with the Twins next year unless he's not offered a spot on any other team's 25 man roster.

He barely plays C now with Castro completely out of the mix. What makes people think he'll get more opportunities with this team next year? Castro and Garver will be back and taking all of the reps at C.

He's an interesting story in an otherwise dreadfully boring season for the Twins. Nothing more than that.
  • Tomj14 likes this

#15 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,860 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:21 AM

I don't see Astudillo back with the Twins next year unless he's not offered a spot on any other team's 25 man roster.

He barely plays C now with Castro completely out of the mix. What makes people think he'll get more opportunities with this team next year? Castro and Garver will be back and taking all of the reps at C.

He's an interesting story in an otherwise dreadfully boring season for the Twins. Nothing more than that.

agreed from all the evidence- but what if Molitor and are Falvine are on different pages? If I were Falvine and trying to put as many pitchers on my 2019 roster as humanly possible, I would like Astudillo's combination of position flexibility and contact skills.he's passable at C, 3b, 2b, LF and never Ks.

• glunn, Riverbrian and 3balls2strikes like this

#16 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:21 AM

his only chance next year, is last guy off the bench, to cover multiple positions. Oh, and the Sunday start were the Twins like to put the worst possible lineup out.

• beckmt, Sconnie and Vanimal46 like this

#17 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,690 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:33 AM

agreed from all the evidence - but what if Molitor and are Falvine are on different pages? If I were Falvine and trying to put as many pitchers on my 2019 roster as humanly possible, I would like Astudillo's combination of position flexibility and contact skills. he's passable at C, 3b, 2b, LF and never Ks.

I'd be okay with that too if his defense in the field isn't significantly worse than glove first utility guys like Adrianza.

They could use a bat first player on the bench to be the primary pinch hitter and not kill the lineup whenever they do play. I assume Mauer could fill that role very well if he agrees to it. Otherwise Astudillo can do it.
  • Sconnie likes this

#18 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:52 PM

Astudillo seems a lot like the type of player the Twins won games with in the 00s. He would have fit in on those teams.

• Han Joelo, David HK and 3balls2strikes like this

#19 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:05 PM

He has two options left. I think it would be a mistake to boot him from the 40-man roster for the likes of DeJong or Curtiss or Duffey.

• 70charger, Jham, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,547 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:07 PM

Unless he's out of options, he's the perfect guy to be the 3rd catcher on the 40 man roster. I'd have no problems with him being the backup plan in that sense. 

• USAFChief, glunn, Riverbrian and 3 others like this