Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Looking Back at How Derek Falvey & Co. Have Transformed the Twins

derek falvey thad levine byron buxton royce lewis
  • Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 mngopherguy

mngopherguy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:16 PM

I know this is a Falvey-Lavine discussion and talking about the previous regime tends to take things off the rails but in my opinion... The previous regime dealt Falvey-Lavine a 3 of Diamonds and 8 of Clubs. Therefore... It's relevant to the discussion. 

I'll add to your point. 

I'm not that concerned about the playoff wins. You gotta make the playoffs to get a playoff win. I have two serious points of contention right now and my hope is that Falvey and Lavine will be the people who fix it... pronto. 

1. Since Target Field opened April 12, 2010. The Twins have the 2nd worst record in baseball. 650 Wins 791 Losses for a 45.1 Winning Percentage. Only the Marlins have a worse record over that span. 

2. Since Target Field opened... we have not produced or acquired a SUPERSTAR!!! Not one. Rosario or Berrios might get there but they haven't got there yet in my opinion. 

Those two things together should be hard to accomplish simultaneously . The Marlins have been worse but they did manage to produce Giancarlo Stanton, Jose Fernandez and Christian Yelich. Bad records means high draft picks, bad players means more opportunity to locate a different player. 

It took a concentrated commitment to mediocrity to achieve this. It took a front office saying we have Trevor Plouffe, we are set at 3B, we don't need to find anyone better.

It took consistent failure to develop a 1st round pick since Joe Mauer in 2001 or maybe Denard Span in 2002 to accomplish it. Maybe we can count Hicks in 2008 or Kyle Gibson in 2009 as an example of development, but we only really had one decent year of Gibson and we really didn't get to enjoy any of Aaron Hicks playing well.  

Speaking of trades, It took lack of activity in the trade market to accomplish it. The Twins have made 54 trades since 2003 and that is the 2nd lowest. 

They committed to mediocrity, didn't try to improve it and were unable to develop anyone who could surpass it. 

The reason we don't have playoff wins is because we don't have wins to get us to the playoff. With the 2nd worst record in baseball since Target Field opened.

This roster should have been fully stocked for Falvey and Lavine to work with. 

It wasn't. 

And it all starts at the top.The owners are find with mediocrity for the sake of profit.Until that changes, the Twins winning any playoff games will be unlikely.  

#62 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,946 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:31 PM

And it all starts at the top.The owners are find with mediocrity for the sake of profit.Until that changes, the Twins winning any playoff games will be unlikely.  

No doubt.

Bottom Line... It's always the people who hire the people. 

• mngopherguy likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#63 Channing1964

Channing1964

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:17 PM

Ok...Tyler Austin...really? Not that I am a Yankee fan, but I do follow the American League pretty darn close.
Austin was given every opoortunity to start as the Yankees first baseman out of Spring Training 2018. I guess he couldn't beat out Neil Walker. Who last played first base in junior high. Then Austin got injured as well. One day after Austin joined the Twins, the Yankees traded for Luke Voit. For those of you that are not familiar with Luke Voit, he came from the Cardinals. He is a big Power Hitting Right Handed First Baseman. Hmmmm. One day later Lance Lynn pitched eight shutout innings for the Yankees. Lance Lynn came from....The Cardinals.
The mlb is shifting to an analytic approach. Even Billy Beane looks for a winning make up in his roster decisions. This is why i wouldnt pay Machado, Iglesias, or Harper or (name any free agent that is hurt too much and never plays on winning teams) To me its very easy to spot. I guess to most its not. Id much rather have Dan Gladden than Ken Griffey Jr. Not because Gladden is a better player, because he showed up every game and he wants only to win. Im not saying to throw the analytics away, but to use it as an evaluation tool. Not a blueprint for the success of your team. I highly doubt thus FO would give Puckett, Hrbek, Gaetti, Morris, etc. a shot at all. We will see how it all turns out. So far im sure I'm not the only one who is disgusted. Does anyone remember Craig Kusick? Austin is prolly better than Kusick, because he can play the outfield. In Rochester. I feel better now thatbi know we have Austin at first base for 2019 and beyond. ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: derek falvey, thad levine, byron buxton, royce lewis