Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Daily Roundtable: The Looming Mauer Decision

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#41 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,219 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:52 PM

All those drives to left-center start hitting the green monster and turn into at least singles instead of outs. Have maintained he would have hit .400 there in his prime.

I agree with you. In 2006 or 2009, he would have flirted with .400 if he played at Fenway and ESPN would've had breaking news stories on it all the time.

#42 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:58 PM

So.... if he is not good enough for the Twins, why in heaven he should be good enough for the Red Sox or another perennial contender?

Mauer smacking the green monster would had been a valid fantasy c.2009-2010 ;)

David Ortiz wasn't good enough for the Twins??

Prob more along the lines of what each team needs. The Twins need a guy they can pencil into their lineup everyday which it appears as if Mauer isn't that guy anymore. Boston or another team could be deep enough to use a guy like Mauer for 120 games a year and get real value out of those 120 games?

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#43 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,708 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:09 PM

David Ortiz wasn't good enough for the Twins??

Prob more along the lines of what each team needs. The Twins need a guy they can pencil into their lineup everyday which it appears as if Mauer isn't that guy anymore. Boston or another team could be deep enough to use a guy like Mauer for 120 games a year and get real value out of those 120 games?

David Ortiz was great for the Twins but not as good as good ol' boy Matt LeCroy for Terry Ryan.

Mauer is about 10 years older than Ortiz was when he went to Boston.And in Mauer's age, that's dog years...

• jud6312 likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#44 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,032 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:27 PM

He understands how contracts work?

So your theory is, Mauer said “no” to a trade?

As I said, that’d be well within his rights. Just don’t turn around and tell me he cares about the Twins. I’ve been told repeatedly that the Twins were smart to trade expiring contracts. Well, there’s one that didn’t leave.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#45 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:32 PM

Yeah, Joe doesn't care about the Twins if he chose to stay with the Twins instead of being traded. Concrete reasoning. Some will stop at nothing to take shots at him.

I love how it's okay to attack HIS character too. I thought that wasn't allowed here.

Edited by jimmer, 05 September 2018 - 08:35 PM.

• SwainZag and Vanimal46 like this

#46 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:19 PM

I think if he had been planning to stay, the last few weeks and the next few weeks might cause him to change his mind.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#47 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,898 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:19 PM

So your theory is, Mauer said “no” to a trade?

As I said, that’d be well within his rights. Just don’t turn around and tell me he cares about the Twins. I’ve been told repeatedly that the Twins were smart to trade expiring contracts. Well, there’s one that didn’t leave.

This is just a cheap pot shot at Joe.Born and raised in the Twin Cities, played his entire career in the system and with the Twins.His family is here, his friends are here, basically his entire life, but you want to take a shot at him for not being a "team player" and being traded in the twilight of his career to play ball away from all of that?Please.He earned and negotiated that no trade clause.  

• jimmer and Vanimal46 like this

#48 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,032 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:37 PM

This is just a cheap pot shot at Joe.Born and raised in the Twin Cities, played his entire career in the system and with the Twins.His family is here, his friends are here, basically his entire life, but you want to take a shot at him for not being a "team player" and being traded in the twilight of his career to play ball away from all of that?Please.He earned and negotiated that no trade clause.

We’re off topic here, I guess, and that’s my fault.

But it’s not a cheap shot. It’s a legitimate question. Remove the sentimentality. There’s only one expiring contract left, no?
  • jud6312 and caninatl04 like this

#49 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,898 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:47 PM

We’re off topic here, I guess, and that’s my fault.

But it’s not a cheap shot. It’s a legitimate question. Remove the sentimentality. There’s only one expiring contract left, no?

You are making him to the bad guy for NOT being traded because of his contract status.Yes, he has an expiring contract.You think the only way to show that he cares about the Twins and the franchise was to waive his no-trade clause this year?

• Vanimal46 likes this

#50 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:55 PM

David Ortiz was great for the Twins but not as good as good ol' boy Matt LeCroy for Terry Ryan.

Mauer is about 10 years older than Ortiz was when he went to Boston. And in Mauer's age, that's dog years...

If he was great for the Twins why'd they get rid of him? Also I think it had more to do with Dougie baseball than LeCroy? Nonetheless both Ortiz and Dougie Baseball won the World Series for the Bosox. I think both of them kinda stuck their noses up at the Twins and went neener, neener, neener when they got those rings too.

I'm kinda getting on board that I'd love to see Mauer go to one of those teams in a part time 120 game roll and win a World Series for himself while all of us Twins fans sit around wondering which minor leaguers are going to take over for the Twins in 2020.
  • caninatl04 likes this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#51 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:13 PM

As for Mauer...why was he the only expiring contract not traded this year? Did he exercise his no trade clause?
Entirely within his rights, of course, but what does that say about him?

There was a quote from him saying he was not asked to so they never tried to trade him or it was never close at least.

I'm guessing they didn't have any Mauer talks because they know Mauer's answer already. He wants to be a Twin for life and it's not hard to believe him.

#52 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,032 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:16 PM

There was a quote from him saying he was not asked....

Link?

#53 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:17 PM

Link?

Slightly earlier than the actual deadline but I doubt it changed.

https://www.twinciti...o-trade-clause/

Never saw anything about the waiver deadline so not sure about that part, but I'd assume more of the same.

Edited by Twins33, 05 September 2018 - 10:22 PM.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#54 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,032 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:23 PM

Slightly earlier than the actual deadline but I doubt it changed. https://www.twinciti...o-trade-clause/
Never saw anything about the waiver deadline so not sure about that part, but I'd assume more of the same.

Thanks.

#55 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,797 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:37 PM

If I'm Joe... I've come so far with such a short time to go. 

I wouldn't waive those 10-5 rights for any amount of money... And any amount of money isn't going to be paid to even come close to a last temptation for Mauer. 

If I'm Joe... I'm retiring as a Twin, It will be the only team I play for! This is extremely rare in this day and age and admirable. 

If I'm the GM... there is no way I would trade Joe and there is no way I even suggest it to his agent and there is no way that I would even ask Joe to check the temp of the water.

If I'm the GM... I'm starting to think about where his statue should be placed outside the stadium and also making sure that the sculptor makes it taller than the tiny Calvin Griffith statue. 

• Jerr, big dog, DocBauer and 1 other like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#56 Bill Brown69

Bill Brown69

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:45 PM

he's not even close to playing in 120 games at first base two of the last three years......

Since 2012 he has played in at least 120 games every year. There is where manager comes in. I posted 120 games at 1B and 0 at DH. 120+ bench bat for 42!

Edited by Bill Brown69, 05 September 2018 - 10:49 PM.

#57 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:03 PM

I think he'll re-sign for one year. Wonder what he'd be willing to take though? He's at the stage where he may not deserve more than 6M. If he would have had another repeat of last season than he'd be worth more.

Money isn't an issue for the Twins next season, but that doesn't mean they should overpay him for his age 36 season when he's not playing 120+ games at 1B. Love the guy though. If he retires, I really enjoyed watching him play.
  • Devereaux likes this

#58 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,032 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:55 AM

If I'm Joe... I've come so far with such a short time to go. 

I wouldn't waive those 10-5 rights for any amount of money... And any amount of money isn't going to be paid to even come close to a last temptation for Mauer. 

If I'm Joe... I'm retiring as a Twin, It will be the only team I play for! This is extremely rare in this day and age and admirable. 

If I'm the GM... there is no way I would trade Joe and there is no way I even suggest it to his agent and there is no way that I would even ask Joe to check the temp of the water.

If I'm the GM... I'm starting to think about where his statue should be placed outside the stadium and also making sure that the sculptor makes it taller than the tiny Calvin Griffith statue.

If I’m the GM, I start thinking about returning the Twins to relevance, stat.
  • Mike Sixel and jud6312 like this

#59 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,032 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:00 AM

As to back on topic, it depends on what you want.

If your goal is a farewell, feel good tour for Mauer, then take the safe route, which few will criticize, and give Mauer a one yr contract. Accommodate Joe Mauer and his fan base, but deprioritize winning.

If, however, your goal is to compete at the highest levels, find a full time first baseman who moves you toward that goal.

My personal option would be Donaldson at third, Sano at first. It might bomb spectacularly, but it also might succeed spectacularly. Mauer offers no such upside.
  • Mike Sixel and jud6312 like this

#60 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,797 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:06 AM

If I’m the GM, I start thinking about returning the Twins to relevance, stat.

Oh I'm looking.:)

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate