Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Daily Roundtable: The Looming Mauer Decision

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,324 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:00 PM

I hope he retires.

Agreed. I will be very disappointed in this FO is he's back. He doesn't even play 1B in half the games, and he has zero power (which makes the OBP fairly empty compared to other hitters). He's not likely to get better next year, but other options are. But we've been over this in about 6 threads, so I doubt I'll reply a lot here....people have made up their minds.

• gunnarthor and jud6312 like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#22 bobs

bobs

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:27 PM

I hate it, but I tend to be in the SD/Cody camp.After what Falvey did over the weekend, I think they quietly push him toward retirement.And, when concussion symptoms return after just diving for a pop up, maybe it'd be in Joe's best interest to hang 'em up.  

If he returns, I think they can limit him to around 100 games at 1B and about 40 at DH.He and Tyler Austin may make an interesting 1B/DH platoon.Sano can play 125 at 3B, 25 at DH.

#23 bobs

bobs

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:29 PM

Had I answered before the FO move (or non-move) with Buxton, I would have said they could come to an agreement for a 1-2 year so Mauer can keep playing for the only team he should ever play for. But now, this FO has shown they will make purely business decisions, so I can see them saying "No thanks, you want to keep playing, find another team". 

Exactly.Levine has talked about how "Joe has earned the right to....".I think it's all lip service.These Ivy League "baseball guys" are all business.

#24 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Administrators
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:29 PM

Didn't get my thoughts in for this one, but I agree with what seems to be the general consensus —he plays here or doesn't play at all.

I think it's a good idea to bring him back as long as it's for the Twins price and their idea of his playing time, not his.

I'm not convinced this front office thinks that way, though. I think they're more likely than anyone who has ever been in the Twins FO before, to just move on from him. 

I'd hate it if he kind of got 'forced' into retirement like that, but then I'd tell him go try and play for a contender. I always wanted to see him play a majority of games in Fenway Park. All those drives to left-center start hitting the green monster and turn into at least singles instead of outs. Have maintained he would have hit .400 there in his prime.

• gunnarthor and Platoon like this
Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#25 Jimn444

Jimn444

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:08 PM

The Twins could use some of the large amount of money available next year but are these numbers good enough for the 12,000,000 to 15,000,000 he may ask for?.:

MLB current rankings:

Runs  - 49 - 153rd (for a lead off hitter)

SB's-  0 - 381st

HRs - 5 -  292nd 

AVG. - .277 -51st 

OBP -.347 -56th

RBI -  39 -  200th

SLG. - .375 -135th

WAR -.9 - 212th

OPS -.723 -  113th

BB   -43 -94th

Is there better options for the team to look at ?.

#26 peterb18

peterb18

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:19 PM

Joe Mauer is not the problem on this team. Start with ownership and the front office. Next year should be a definite and substantial move forward. If not.....then look at ownership. Any successful entity would.
  • SwainZag, Hosken Bombo Disco and Platoon like this

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,324 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:24 PM

I hate it, but I tend to be in the SD/Cody camp.After what Falvey did over the weekend, I think they quietly push him toward retirement.And, when concussion symptoms return after just diving for a pop up, maybe it'd be in Joe's best interest to hang 'em up.  

If he returns, I think they can limit him to around 100 games at 1B and about 40 at DH.He and Tyler Austin may make an interesting 1B/DH platoon.Sano can play 125 at 3B, 25 at DH.

He will have played less than 100 games at firstbase 2 of the last three years. He has never once played in 140 games in any season in his career. Ever. Three of the last five years he hasn't started 100 games.....

Where do people come up with starting 140 games, given that?

• USAFChief, LaBombo, jud6312 and 1 other like this

#28 Jacksson

Jacksson

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:35 PM

If he values his long term mental health, he will take an inventory of his concussions and weigh that against ANY career benefit to be obtained over the next couple of years, and retire. Should he decide to try and come back: 1 year + 2 option years @ $20M.

#29 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Grab a bat, punk!"

• Members
  • 7,343 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:38 PM

Joe Mauer is not the problem on this team. Start with ownership and the front office. Next year should be a definite and substantial move forward. If not.....then look at ownership. Any successful entity would.

He's certainly not the problem, but isn't it possible that a player who is the third mostly highly paid first baseman in MLB, but not among the top 20 1b's in either WAR, slugging, or weighted OBA, is at least a problem?

Edited by LaBombo, 05 September 2018 - 02:39 PM.

• USAFChief, Jerr, Mike Sixel and 1 other like this

#30 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:55 PM

I hope he is back next year

#31 Bill Brown69

Bill Brown69

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:58 PM

I want Mauer back. Actually I want the old Mauer back but that doesn't seem realistic. 

I hope he doesn't even mentally flirt with the idea of 12 mil per year. More like a 2 year at 15-18 Mil total. 120 games at first next year, none as DH. The second year if Rooker is ready and Austin improves then maybe we have a quandary. For next year I don't see either ready to take over full time with a glove. Austin could get 100+ games as DH and have Joe help him with his glove work. 

Joe could go out as the best in Minnesota history, all he has to do now is be a player on a WS team and groom one of those 2 into a gold glove 1B! 

#32 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,324 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:00 PM

I want Mauer back. Actually I want the old Mauer back but that doesn't seem realistic. 

I hope he doesn't even mentally flirt with the idea of 12 mil per year. More like a 2 year at 15-18 Mil total. 120 games at first next year, none as DH. The second year if Rooker is ready and Austin improves then maybe we have a quandary. For next year I don't see either ready to take over full time with a glove. Austin could get 100+ games as DH and have Joe help him with his glove work. 

Joe could go out as the best in Minnesota history, all he has to do now is be a player  a WS team and groom one of those 2 into a gold glove 1B! 

he's not even close to playing in 120 games at first base two of the last three years......

• LaBombo and jud6312 like this

#33 Devereaux

Devereaux

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:27 PM

Pretty sure I've heard Joe enough times this season to know he wants to keep playing - and for the Twins. If the Twins are going nowhere for a while, I'd be happy to see him return on a team-friendly contract for a season or two to take more good at-bats and break more club records.

As other people have said, I have no idea what the FO wants. Will the FO be seen as less maverick and more Ryan-like if they sign Mauer? What options are there to replace him? I don't see any on the roster now.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#34 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,059 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:55 PM

Didn't get my thoughts in for this one, but I agree with what seems to be the general consensus —he plays here or doesn't play at all.

I think it's a good idea to bring him back as long as it's for the Twins price and their idea of his playing time, not his.

I'm not convinced this front office thinks that way, though. I think they're more likely than anyone who has ever been in the Twins FO before, to just move on from him. 

I'd hate it if he kind of got 'forced' into retirement like that, but then I'd tell him go try and play for a contender. I always wanted to see him play a majority of games in Fenway Park. All those drives to left-center start hitting the green monster and turn into at least singles instead of outs. Have maintained he would have hit .400 there in his prime.

I often read this.

Mauer is a career .255/.347/.397 hitter at Fenway. It’s only 157 PAs, but I still don’t think he’s any different than he was if he had played in Fenway.

He might even be worse...he rarely hits the ball over the LFer, and with the LFer playing shallower, more of those soft liners to left might get caught instead of falling for singles.
  • Oldgoat_MN and KGB like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#35 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,059 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:59 PM

As for Mauer...why was he the only expiring contract not traded this year? Did he exercise his no trade clause?

Entirely within his rights, of course, but what does that say about him?

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#36 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,730 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:00 PM

So.... if he is not good enough for the Twins, why in heaven he should be good enough for the Red Sox or another perennial contender?

Mauer smacking the green monster would had been a valid fantasyc.2009-2010 ;)

Edited by Thrylos, 05 September 2018 - 05:00 PM.

• jud6312 likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#37 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,756 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:07 PM

Great player once not now. Does a FO that is trying to build a strong playoff contending team really need a 36 yr old part time replacement level 1B/DH?

There are those types of players on all championship teams. Not specifically that position, but whatever position they play. Grandpa Ross, Carlos Beltran, Alex Rios, etc.

Joe Mauer can still play a valuable role on a championship team. Part time role player and primary pinch hitter.
  • SwainZag and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#38 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,320 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:01 PM

As for Mauer...why was he the only expiring contract not traded this year? Did he exercise his no trade clause?
Entirely within his rights, of course, but what does that say about him?

He understands how contracts work?
  • big dog and jimmer like this

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#39 KGB

KGB

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:17 PM

[quote name="Craig Arko" timestamp="1536192098"]He understands how contracts work?[/quote

And winning isn't his top priority?

#40 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,320 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:25 PM

[quote name="KGB" post="791747" timestamp="1536193051"][quote name="Craig Arko" timestamp="1536192098"]He understands how contracts work?[/quote

And winning isn't his top priority?[/quote]

I would hope his family is his top priority.

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert