Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Front Office and Communication

falvey levine buxton
  • Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:59 PM

I'm not sure what the argument is here; Thomas wasn't good by any measure for the Twins. 

It's sad that Hicks is reaching his potential after leaving MN. For reference, Buxton's WAR last season is higher than Hicks has ever put up, including this season. The Twins are quite literally choosing Field over Buxton to end the season. We know it isn't about MLB performance. We know it isn't about injury or rest. We know it isn't about where either player fits into the future of this team. That doesn't leave a whole lot else to point to other than service time manipulation. 

Was it is a really difficult concept . GMs like certain players and give them one more shot.The guy from Texas knew of Field from his amateur days.It still really isn't a Field versus Buxton sort of thing. I do not see anywhere that somebody thinks Field could be a CF of the future. What they need to figure out is does he slot above Cave, Grossman, or Wade They have to figure out if they want none, one or more of them. The management isn't as smart as the regular fan because they have to be worried about what a player could be, and why they are not. 

#62 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:16 PM

Service time management or manipulation is a plausible explanation. 

Johnny Field is a separate issue in my opinion.  

Johnny Field isn't playing if Buxton is up. His continued presence on the roster is a product of service time manipulation. I wouldn't characterize that as separate. 

#63 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,822 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:28 PM

Johnny Field isn't playing if Buxton is up. His continued presence on the roster is a product of service time manipulation. I wouldn't characterize that as separate. 

I won't argue that this Buxton maneuver was service time driven. However... In my opinion, it probably would have happened with or without the presence of Johnny Field. If service time is indeed the reason (I think it is). Johnny Field wouldn't be the player that clears the way for this to happen.:)

In my opinion, The Buxton situation is about Buxton only. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#64 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:46 PM

I won't argue that this Buxton maneuver was service time driven. However... In my opinion, it probably would have happened with or without the presence of Johnny Field. If service time is indeed the reason (I think it is). Johnny Field wouldn't be the player that clears the way for this to happen.:)

In my opinion, The Buxton situation is about Buxton only. 

Sure, I agree with that. My point was that they opted to give Buxton's innings to somebody else. Field happens to be that guy. 

• Riverbrian likes this

#65 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:50 PM

Sure, I agree with that. My point was that they opted to give Buxton's innings to somebody else. Field happens to be that guy.

I think Field came up because of Rosario’s injury not so much the Buxton situation. The Twins still had plenty of outfielders without Field and Buxton until Rosario got hurt. Field really hasn’t played that much even with easing Rosario i to action.

#66 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,822 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:52 PM

Yes he was, along with Grossman and I believe Adrianaza for a game.:)

• KirbyDome89 likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: falvey, levine, buxton