Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (9/3): Regular Season Ends

mitchell kranson chase de jong sean poppen kennys vargas luis arraez
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 slash129

slash129

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:45 AM

I do not care what Gordon did in AAA, put him up and let us see him, or are you telling me that Ironhands Polanco is the SS of the future. 

Because there is such a bright light around Gordon's 60 errors the past three years against lesser competition ...

#22 rghrbek

rghrbek

Wichita Wind Surge

• 717 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:58 AM

Because there is such a bright light around Gordon's 60 errors the past three years against lesser competition ...

Agreed, at some point and time, prospects have to earn their way up.  Gordon did not do that this year.  Not at all.  Disturbing year for such a high pick.  He's young and can bounce back.

Heck we are still trying to figure out if Polonco can play short in the field (I think the answer is becoming apparent he cannot).  As an organization we better hope Lewis can stick at short.

• David HK likes this

#23 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,526 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:12 AM

Honestly, the Buxton decision doesn’t bother me too much, but tell me FO, what makes Johnny Field, Tyler Duffey, and Matt Belilse any more deserving of a roster spot than Kennys Vargas, Nick Gordon, Lamonte Wade, Nick Anderson, Lewis Thorpe, and or Jake Reed???

I totally second all these motions.

Every single one of 'em. And you can DL A.Reed for good measure the rest of the year, and skip a start or two for La Maquina, who looks completely gassed.

• D.C Twins likes this

#24 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 355 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:32 AM

DJ Baxendale most likely played his last game in the Twins org

He’ll pitch in the big leagues with some one next year

Lots of AAAA players will play briefly in the big leagues next year

• Danchat likes this

#25 108Stitches

108Stitches

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Banned
  • 282 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 12:59 PM

Based on .... ?

1) $$$ in signing bonus

2) Being related to Dee and Flash

3) Draft position (Kinda like Dustin Ackley, Christian Colon and Bubba Starling)

Pretty much the SOLE criteria for 95% of "Top prospects". 

#26 caninatl04

caninatl04

Wichita Wind Surge

• 737 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 04:33 PM

Lol no, no it really isn't shouldn't be

I just disagree with the punctuation: replace the !'s with ?'s.

This? is how we baseball????
  • D.C Twins likes this

#27 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 5,301 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 04 September 2018 - 06:07 PM

They did let him go. The Cincinnati Reds were going to remove him from the 40 and keep him on their AAA roster all year. So they picked him back up.

??? Exactly. They tried to pass him through waivers, and he was claimed, and then the Reds did the same thing, and the Twins claimed him and tried again, and he was unclaimed. So instead of really letting him go, they made the move to take him back. They could have just not reclaimed him, and let him get on with his life and career. Just really let him go. Now it looks like they will have to, and that will be the best for him. He will probably end up in Japan or Korea, and get a chance to make some money. Truly a wasted year for him.

Edited by h2oface, 04 September 2018 - 06:47 PM.

#28 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 17,021 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:03 PM

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong...but aren't error totals for infielders largely considered irrelevant because the playing surfaces are garbage?

#29 Jham

Jham

• 2,281 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:54 PM

Based on .... ?

1) $$$ in signing bonus
2) Being related to Dee and Flash
3) Draft position (Kinda like Dustin Ackley, Christian Colon and Bubba Starling)

Based on every scouting report I've ever read on him. I've hardly seem him play, but what I saw in spring training, he belongs. Will he ever be good? Who knows.

We have invested a lot. I think that was my point? I never said he deserves a call up. I suggested that the kid has had a rough year. Perhaps it would do him some good. Lift his spirits. Give him a positive note into the off-season. He's an important character in the story still at this point.

#30 slash129

slash129

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:08 AM

Based on every scouting report I've ever read on him. I've hardly seem him play, but what I saw in spring training, he belongs. Will he ever be good? Who knows.

We have invested a lot. I think that was my point? I never said he deserves a call up. I suggested that the kid has had a rough year. Perhaps it would do him some good. Lift his spirits. Give him a positive note into the off-season. He's an important character in the story still at this point.

Rewarding mediocrity ... That sounds like a great plan. Coddling is for 2nd grade house leaguers not million dollar pros.

#31 Jham

Jham

• 2,281 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:09 AM

Rewarding mediocrity ... That sounds like a great plan. Coddling is for 2nd grade house leaguers not million dollar pros.

I made that exact point about Buxton and Sano previously. I hope Buxton comes back next season and hits angry like Dozier did (and still agreed to buy out arb years and wanted an extension).

That said, your old school disciplinarian approach doesn't work for all, especially today's youth. Not everyone is motivated the same way. I have no idea what motivates Mr. Gordon. I'm not talking about giving him a spot or even seeing what we've got. He's a first-rounder with pedigree, tools, and minor league success. There's nothing mediocre about his talent and prospect status. He's bluish chip. The call up, as I stated, would have nothing to do with reward necessarily. I wanted to trade Gordon, but we didn't. So he figures in to our future. A month with the staff and teammates may be just what he needs. If not who cares? He's going back to AAA next spring regardless.

In short (too late) his player development trumps rewarding mediocre play in this particular situation, imo.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mitchell kranson, chase de jong, sean poppen, kennys vargas, luis arraez