Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: TEX 7, MIN 4: Is Jose OK?

jose berrios jake cave andrew vasquez
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 sftwinsfan

sftwinsfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 01:20 PM

Am I the only person concerned that Berrios only has 2 pitches?Fastball and breaking ball 91% of the time.If one pitch is a little off on a given night a hitter can sit on the other.He's got outstanding stuff, but in my opinion he won't dominate over the long-term until he has a reliable 3rd pitch.  

#22 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,721 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 02 September 2018 - 03:05 PM

Am I the only person concerned that Berrios only has 2 pitches?Fastball and breaking ball 91% of the time.If one pitch is a little off on a given night a hitter can sit on the other.He's got outstanding stuff, but in my opinion he won't dominate over the long-term until he has a reliable 3rd pitch.  

He has a change up that he has been throwing for about 10% of the time, which is improving, but still below average pitch.

The problem has been that this curveball went from plus last season and the beginning of this season to an average pitch.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#23 sftwinsfan

sftwinsfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 07:03 PM

I still think he needs that change-up or other 3rd option to be at least average and throw it more than 10% of the time, otherwise hitters won't pay any attention to it and just sit on either the fastball or the curve.  

#24 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:55 AM

I'm glad that Tom brought up the subject of Berrios and his recent struggles. I can't remember the last time he had an impressive start, but it must have been well before the All-Star game. Not sure what the answer is? At this point I don't know if shutting him down will do that much, so might as well let him keep pitching and work on whatever he needs to work on. Any other ideas?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, jake cave, andrew vasquez