Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: CLE 5, MIN 3: Odorizzi Fades, Busenitz Blows It

jake odorizzi alan busenitz ehire adrianza
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,644 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:23 AM

Chief is absolutely correct. You know what else is factual and incontrovertible? Byron Buxton can’t hit major league pitching. Clearly, we should leave him in AAA until his options are exhausted, and then some team can take him in the rule v draft, if there is a team out there foolish enough to ignore the factual and incontrovertible evidence.

Wouldn't be Rule 5. Waiver claim after an attempt to designate and assign outright. :)

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#22 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,313 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 31 August 2018 - 12:40 PM

Odorizzi this year faces on average 22.1 batters per start. Yesterday he faced, what do you know, 22 batters. What I'm hearing here is he should only face 18 batters no matter the circumstance.

Maybe he shouldn't. Or maybe he should never, or rarely, start the 6th inning.

Opponent's OPS by inning, 2018:

1st .633

2nd .664

3rd .601

4th .754

5th .901

6th 1.270

https://www.baseball...1&year=2018&t=p

He struggles the third time through the order. A team supposedly embracing analytics might notice things like this. A good manager wouldn't even need analytics to notice this.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#23 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,863 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:26 PM

Maybe he shouldn't. Or maybe he should never, or rarely, start the 6th inning.

Opponent's OPS by inning, 2018:
1st .633
2nd .664
3rd .601
4th .754
5th .901
6th 1.270

https://www.baseball...1&year=2018&t=p

He struggles the third time through the order. A team supposedly embracing analytics might notice things like this. A good manager wouldn't even need analytics to notice this.

IMO the argument shouldn't be about Molitor keeping Odorizzi in the game too long. The argument should be that Odorizzi isn't a starting pitcher.
  • nicksaviking likes this

#24 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,313 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:55 PM

IMO the argument shouldn't be about Molitor keeping Odorizzi in the game too long. The argument should be that Odorizzi isn't a starting pitcher.

Well, maybe so but that's another argument.

He is a starting pitcher, so he shouldn't be kept in the game too long.:)

• nicksaviking likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#25 wsnydes

wsnydes

Baseball season goes past September?!

• 3,932 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 31 August 2018 - 02:04 PM

Though, if you're going to say that he is a starting pitcher, now is the time to let him figure out how to get through the middle innings. I don't really have an issue with that at this point in the season.

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

#26 jtkoupal

jtkoupal

• 380 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 02:05 PM

Odorizzi is so frustrating. Remember what I keep saying about his usage? He hasn't change a bit and at some point, you have to realize that he is who he is.

He is a 5-inning pitcher. His numbers confirm that. 

#27 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,531 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 02:49 PM

Those were the first outs Odorizzi recorded past the 6th inning this year, IIRC.

He’s not improving. He struggles third time, this is factual and incontrovertible.

And this is about Molitor, in any case, and his dogged determination to squeeze more from his starter than is smart, or even helpful, since he routinely ends up using his bullpen in the inning in question anyway. As he did today. Only it’s with trouble abrew, or a lead gone, or a winnable game made not winnable.

I am well aware of Odorizzi’s issues. What you seem to be unwilling to accept is that perhaps Molitor was trying to build on his success of the previous start. He didn’t. That’s on him. Not Molitor. I’m no fan of Molitor but I’ll be damned if I am going to criticize him for trying to develop a player into more than he has been.

#28 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,900 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:10 PM

If the decision on Buxton is coming in 24 hours, I'd think that means they're recalling him. 

Otherwise why do they have to make a decision in 24 hours? Couldn't they instead revisit the decision after the Red Wings season is over?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jake odorizzi, alan busenitz, ehire adrianza