Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Reusse's suggestion for the 2019 Twins Marketing Slogan

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#21 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:14 AM

I'm not a huge fan of Patrick either, but he's shedding light on the same things that a lot of us have been talking about on TD for a while. Pointing out obvious failures isn't grinding an axe. 

I think he's trying to draw a conclusion that sustainability doesn't mean anything because there has been a roster shuffle in the 24/25th man slots? I'm sorry but is there a team in the majors that doesn't have this?

Is his point that because Sano and Buxton have yet to turn into stars, you shouldn't build a teams farm system up? I think we can all agree thats about the silliest conclusion ever (how did the Astros turn things around?)

• Dantes929 likes this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#22 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:19 AM

2019 Minnesota Twins:

"We're offering more specialty food items to distract you from mediocre baseball!"

try homemade pork chop on a stick: mmm mmm mmm.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#23 birddog

birddog

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:22 AM

I liked the article and thought it was spot on. Lots of folks to blame for this season. I didn't blame Falvine until they started signing other teams' discards instead of finding out what our prospects could do, especially in the relief corps. I predicted a 90-win season back in March after FO made their moves. I am confident they will make the trades and free agent signings--Escobar for starters--that will bring us back to respectability. I think Reuse just lit the fire while it's still early enough to see what we have on our 40-man roster. 

However, I think their shopping in the waiver dumpster signified a huge need to upgrade our minor league system. I hope they pursue some of the minor league gurus from the A's and Rays, because Rooker, Kiriloff, Lewis, Graterol, and Larnach can't become prospects who missed.

#24 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,015 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:22 AM

The audience at TD is not in the fan base?

Very tiny fraction of it.

#25 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:27 AM

Very tiny fraction of it.

And you know that all portions of the fan base, not on TD, do not agree with building the farm system? ok. 

• mngopherguy likes this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#26 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:29 AM

Insert *old man yells at cloud meme*

In all seriousness, he has some valid points but it also is the classic Pat doesn't like anyone under the age of 50 article.

• mngopherguy likes this

#27 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:45 AM

"Wish us luck" is not going to be the slogan but could be as far as I am concerned.I have been wishing the Twins to have some luck for 45 years now and sometimes they do. Puckett, Hrbeck, Viola et al were together a lot of seasons and sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not.Its really not such a stretch to think Buxton and Sano will have good seasons and that some pitchers will as well?Romero wasn't bad at all and I am guessing Gonsalves is way better than he has shown thus far. Get May back in the rotation and be lucky with a few more guys having good seasons and I will look forward to next year. 

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#28 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:48 AM

What did he tweak the FO for? I read the article and don't understand his point. Buxton and Sano struggling? A few crappy relievers sharing the 24th/25th roster spots off and on throughout the season?

Lot's of teams lose players to injury - like an Aaron Judge or have a player not perform like a Yu Darvish.This is part of baseball.Responding to it is what makes a FO.What else are we paying them for?

• ken likes this

#29 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,720 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:49 AM

And you know that all portions of the fan base, not on TD, do not agree with building the farm system? ok. 

that's not even close to the point.....fans want MLB wins, they don't go to MLB games because the farm system is good or bad. No one said anything about "not agreeing with building the farm system".

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#30 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:52 AM

that's not even close to the point.....fans want MLB wins, they don't go to MLB games because the farm system is good or bad. No one said anything about "not agreeing with building the farm system".

Of course fans want wins, isn't sustainability specifically about winning over an extended period of time? Why does that message not "resonate with the entire fan base"? What is the suggestion, Falvey's job should be to focus on 2019, and 2019 only at this point.. trade Lewis, Kiriloff, etc because they are unlikely to help in 2019?

#31 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:56 AM

No one said anything about "not agreeing with building the farm system".

Also, the entire premise of this article seemed to be you can't count on prospects because Sano and Buxton have yet to turn into stars. Wouldn't the logical conclusion be you shouldn't care about your farm system then?

Edited by alarp33, 28 August 2018 - 10:56 AM.

• TheLeviathan likes this

#32 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:57 AM

I think he's trying to draw a conclusion that sustainability doesn't mean anything because there has been a roster shuffle in the 24/25th man slots? I'm sorry but is there a team in the majors that doesn't have this?

Is his point that because Sano and Buxton have yet to turn into stars, you shouldn't build a teams farm system up? I think we can all agree thats about the silliest conclusion ever (how did the Astros turn things around?)

I don't think he's saying any of that.

His point about "building sustainability," is that is doesn't do anything to address the very real needs of the current team. This team was supposed to be competing this year. Now its "wait til next year," and we've seen articles targeting 2020. This isn't about only the 25th roster spot. It's about filling holes in this roster that have existed since this FO took over two years ago. 

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea he's against building a farm system. 

• USAFChief and beckmt like this

#33 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 11:03 AM

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea he's against building a farm system. 

I mean this paragraph is smack dab in the middle of the article about sustainability. I think him being against building a farm system is kind of implied.Though I do admit I don't understand the point of this article so I might be missing something

The Twins have spent the past several weeks boasting over the increased depth in the farm system, after a series of trades that included disposing of their second- and third-best non-pitchers, Eduardo Escobar and Brian Dozier.

The new bodies from the trades and the rise of Lewis and Kirilloff might excite the Jim Callis [MLB.com prospect guru] crowd, but the majority of Minnesota’s sporting public has been turned so cynical about the words “Twins” and “prospects” that it does zero to create interest for next season.

There are two monumental reasons for this cynicism: Miguel Sano and Buxton.

His point about "building sustainability," is that is doesn't do anything to address the very real needs of the current team. This team was supposed to be competing this year. Now its "wait til next year," and we've seen articles targeting 2020. This isn't about only the 25th roster spot. It's about filling holes in this roster that have existed since this FO took over two years ago. 

Is this breaking news that a team thats likely to finish under .500 has holes to fill? Are we allowed to give the FO this off season to try and fill some of those holes? 

• TheLeviathan likes this

#34 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 11:07 AM

For what it's worth, I'd have no problem with this article if it was dedicated to Sano and Buxton heading into 2019, and their importance to providing any semblance of hope in building a contender quickly. 

However I found it to be typical trolling, lazy Reusse who doesn't really seem to have a point, and just throws in a few buzzwords to try to get people going (I wish he hadn't succeeded in getting me to click on the article)

#35 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,118 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 11:10 AM

I keep reading that this team was supposed to be competing this year, but based on the roster and other teams' rosters, I know I didn't expect them to. I expected them to lose more games this year than last, myself.

I think the idea this team was supposed to be competing was based on hope and/or unrealistic expectations. This 2019 team was not built to really compete.

Edited by jimmer, 28 August 2018 - 11:13 AM.

#36 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,312 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 August 2018 - 11:12 AM

I keep reading that this team was supposed to be competing this year, but based on the roster and other teams' rosters, I know I didn't expect them to. I expected them to lose more games this year than last, myself.

I think the idea this team was supposed to be competing was based on hope and/or unrealistic expectations.

The last 8 years have been built on hope and silver linings. I hope it changes soon.
  • jimmer likes this

#37 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 938 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 28 August 2018 - 11:19 AM

Forget Reusse. He has always been a negative writer. I hated him when he was with the Pioneer-Press and he improved that newspaper when he moved to the STrib. Other than that, I like Reusse fine. Its just his opinions that are meaningless.

#38 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 11:22 AM

let us never forget the top of the first inning at yankee stadium last october!

• Twinsbar107 likes this

#39 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 11:23 AM

Lot's of teams lose players to injury - like an Aaron Judge or have a player not perform like a Yu Darvish.This is part of baseball.Responding to it is what makes a FO.What else are we paying them for?

Ok? Better teams usually have more of a margin for error than worse teams. That's not breaking news. I think the Yankees and Cubs were both projected to win 10+ more games than the Twins this year. It's hardly a surprise losing Judge for 30 games or getting little from Darvish hasn't greatly impacted their W/L total. 

A Twins team that was thought of as a fringe wild card contender entering the season couldn't afford to get no production from Buxton/ Sano, and pretty crappy production from Dozier and surpass their expected win total. This isn't a surprise

If your answer is they should've built a team as good as the Yankees or Cubs in their 2nd season in charge, the issue is in your expectations, not anything the FO has done

Edited by alarp33, 28 August 2018 - 11:30 AM.

• mngopherguy likes this

#40 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,060 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 11:40 AM

I guess I am failing to see the point of this article.

I think ashburyjohn nailed it a few posts below yours:

A curmudgeonly way of stating, "the FO has their work cut out for them this off-season". I didn't take it as much more than that.

• Carole Keller, Blake, Blackjack and 1 other like this