Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Reusse's suggestion for the 2019 Twins Marketing Slogan

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,796 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:28 AM

"Wish us Luck."

It appears Falvine have lost the confidence of one Pat Reusse. 

As usual, there's a lot of truth in Pat's take, unpopular as it might be.

http://www.startribu...ness/491813121/

• glunn, nicksaviking, Hosken Bombo Disco and 4 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#2 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,265 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:41 AM

That appellation applies to a lot more than baseball in 2019.
  • David HK and Twinsbar107 like this

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#3 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:46 AM

I guess I am failing to see the point of this article. Buxton and Sano have had disaster seasons? Ok... what exactly does that have to do with Falvey / Levine? Last I checked they didn't draft or sign either. 

Bottom of roster has shuffled a lot in a terrible season? Sure, which team in the major hasn't had this? Anyone drawing a conclusion about Falvey / Levine based on how many innings Belisle or Hale pitched this year has an axe to grand for no reason. 

I don't expect more from Reusse at this point, it's a lazy article meant to troll.Soon he'll focus his attention on tearing down PJ Fleck and all the good things he is doing. 

Edited by alarp33, 28 August 2018 - 07:51 AM.

• Thrylos, Dman and mngopherguy like this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#4 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,814 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:55 AM

Patrick's has some valid points. I normally am fairly on board with his takes, acerbic as they can be. But To touch on a couple I am not completely on board with:

Sano and Buxton were not only appraised as true talents by the locals. It was a national perception. We weren't simply being schmucks.

There are 40 man ad 25 man roster issues to deal with when moving players. It's not simply a wave of the hand.

Sustainability can also be defined as NOT simply blowing things up. And they haven't. Also, as much as I hate to admit it, the fact that a Gonsalves was such a highly touted piece for the rotation, and at this point looks at best a LOOGY (SSS noted) does not reflect positively on the MiLB ready talent level.

I will look for the FO to move in relievers for auditions this fall at a minimum. And I will then expect Molitor to pitch them, hell or high water. He won't of course.

I could be completely wrong, I have been before, but I would bet that Reusse gives Molitor a full pass on this season, and on his managerial abilities. In that matter I totally disagree with the the Fulda Flash.

All that said, I am sure most of this thread will turn into a Reusse diatribe by the 2nd page! :(
  • Carole Keller, pbrezeasap, nicksaviking and 3 others like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#5 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,354 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:53 AM

A curmudgeonly way of stating, "the FO has their work cut out for them this off-season". I didn't take it as much more than that.

Surely Reusse isn't interested in team marketing slogans themselves - those are probably Dave St Peter's domain anyway. (Though, "Bring A Coat" was well played.) And the inside-baseball maneuvering of the waiver wire and so forth, likewise isn't really his issue, since other teams do the same things too.

It's just... this team is approaching a crisis point with regard to their much anticipated window of contention, and Reusse isn't apparently interested in hearing about pie in the sky at the low-minors level that buys the front office another 5 years of honeymoon. Sustainability isn't what he's looking for, it's present performance and some hope for 2019. He wants some success worth sustaining.

• Carole Keller, Blake, alarp33 and 8 others like this

A slim chance equals a fat chance, yet a wise man and a wise guy are opposites.

#6 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,720 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:55 AM

I agree with him that the masses (and even most here) care about actual winning of games more than hope for the future. No one is buying a ticket this yer or next year because the minor league system is deep. The FO will have to figure out how to do that more than 1 season in a row for buyers to return.

• Carole Keller, peterb18, Twins33 and 7 others like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#7 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:07 AM

I like Ruesse's essay.I find a lot of truth in it.Must be that I too am an Old Guy and have followed the Twins since day one - 1961.This team does not give me a lot of hope right now.Buxton and Sano have shown us that minor league greatness does not translate to major league stardom.  

Good for Patrick - tweak this FO - I think that they deserve it no matter how nice they appear to be. 

• peterb18, Hosken Bombo Disco and ken like this

#8 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:13 AM

I like Ruesse's essay.I find a lot of truth in it.Must be that I too am an Old Guy and have followed the Twins since day one - 1961.This team does not give me a lot of hope right now.Buxton and Sano have shown us that minor league greatness does not translate to major league stardom.  

Good for Patrick - tweak this FO - I think that they deserve it no matter how nice they appear to be. 

What did he tweak the FO for? I read the article and don't understand his point. Buxton and Sano struggling? A few crappy relievers sharing the 24th/25th roster spots off and on throughout the season?

Edited by alarp33, 28 August 2018 - 09:13 AM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#9 Number3

Number3

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:30 AM

The shame is that its still 1 month to go in 2018 and the topic is 2019. How about finishing above .500 in 2018 after a nice finish including winning a series against the Yankees? How about simply fielding a competitive team in 2019, getting a new manager with some fire in his belly and going out and winning games?

• Thrylos, ChrisKnutson, David HK and 1 other like this

#10 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,210 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:39 AM

Howie baseball is a great marketing slogan!

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, birdwatcher and 6 others like this

I was recently advised by a representative of the board's female caucas, that the term panties in a bundle is not acceptable. Until further notification, please use the term boxer shorts in a bundle. Fact is stranger than fiction.

#11 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:43 AM

remember that second game in puerto rico? that was awesome.

Edited by mickeymental, 28 August 2018 - 10:01 AM.

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, snepp and 5 others like this

#12 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,814 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:49 AM

Howie baseball is a great marketing slogan!

You realize you are then on the hook for next years results? :)
  • USAFChief, birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and 2 others like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#13 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:54 AM

Soon he'll focus his attention on tearing down PJ Fleck and all the good things he is doing. 

Until PJ starts winning Big Ten games he's just Tim Brewster reincarnated.

• beckmt and notoriousgod71 like this

#14 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:59 AM

"Wish us Luck."

You could say that about every team every year - Are they going to stay healthy? Will players play up to their players going to perform like past years? You could go on and on about every team and what needs to go right in order for them to win.

• Dantes929 and TheLeviathan like this

#15 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:59 AM

Until PJ starts winning Big Ten games he's just Tim Brewster reincarnated.

Great analysis, thanks for chiming in. PJ Fleck coached in a Cotton Bowl 2 years ago, Tim Brewster was a tight ends coach before Maturi hired him. But other than that you nailed it

FWIW I was talking about Reusse mocking the good that Fleck is doing in the community, and his "Row the Boat" mantra, which was created to honor his dead son. 

• peterb18 and mngopherguy like this

#16 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:03 AM

The jab at the FO for Belisle, and the relievers that have seen the 25-man this year is fair.Molitor can't use them if the FO doesn't sign them and agree to put them on the 25-man.Also, it is somewhat amusing (in a sad way) that so many connected with the Twins (not just the Twins) seem not to have had a back-up marketing plan when Buxton became a total non-factor...which was about one month into the season.Still seeing more Buxton spots (or at least as many) as I see Rosario, Berrios, or anyone not named Joe.

#17 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,015 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:04 AM

Back to Falvey, the problem with "Sustainability!" is that it doesn't really mean anything. That message has a hungry receptive audience here at TD and in the smart guy prospect ranking industry, but it doesn't really resonate with the fan base.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#18 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:06 AM

Back to Falvey, the problem with "Sustainability!" is that it doesn't really mean anything. That message has a hungry receptive audience here at TD and in the smart guy prospect ranking industry, but it doesn't really resonate with the fan base.

The audience at TD is not in the fan base?

Falvey's job is not to sell tickets and never will be. It is to build a baseball team that wins a lot of games over an extended period of time. The tickets will take care of themselves when that happens

• beckmt, Dman, blindeke and 3 others like this

#19 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:09 AM

I guess I am failing to see the point of this article. Buxton and Sano have had disaster seasons? Ok... what exactly does that have to do with Falvey / Levine? Last I checked they didn't draft or sign either. 

Bottom of roster has shuffled a lot in a terrible season? Sure, which team in the major hasn't had this? Anyone drawing a conclusion about Falvey / Levine based on how many innings Belisle or Hale pitched this year has an axe to grand for no reason. 

I don't expect more from Reusse at this point, it's a lazy article meant to troll.Soon he'll focus his attention on tearing down PJ Fleck and all the good things he is doing. 

What did he tweak the FO for? I read the article and don't understand his point. Buxton and Sano struggling? A few crappy relievers sharing the 24th/25th roster spots off and on throughout the season?

I'm not a huge fan of Patrick either, but he's shedding light on the same things that a lot of us have been talking about on TD for a while. Pointing out obvious failures isn't grinding an axe. 

• adorduan, ken and jkcarew like this

#20 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,312 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:13 AM

2019 Minnesota Twins:

"We're offering more specialty food items to distract you from mediocre baseball!"
  • Blake, Mike Sixel, notoriousgod71 and 4 others like this