Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (8/27): Kernels Clinch Another Playoff Berth

fernando romero michael davis randy dobnak alex kirilloff andy wilkins
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 649 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:48 AM

Absolutely nothing. He's in a slump in the late season of his first full professional season. Happens to them all... well, apparently except Alex Kirilloff... 

Agreed. Royce is going to be fine. Let him finish out the season, hopefully he can bust out of the slump before the end, but it's a good lesson for him. Kirilloff is remarkable as a hitter. FSL hasn't fazed him at all, and that's wonderful to see.

I'm guessing Lewis repeats the level to start next season, Kirilloff makes the jump to AA. Just a guess.

• howieramone2 likes this

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,856 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 11:37 AM

I think it's better than just an "outside chance" that Colina returns to the Kernels. Will be interesting to see how it plays out roster-wise.

Dobnak, Duran and Enlow are solid options for the postseason, but you can't get by with 3 starting pitchers in the MWL postseason. There aren't any scheduled days off during the first two rounds of the playoffs (unless you can win games 1 and 2 of the first series).

Yeah, I know last year Beeker moved up for one start and then pitched in the playoffs for Cedar Rapids... Rosters certainly subject to change.

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,856 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 11:38 AM

Seth- I haven’t paid attention to the entirety of the minor leagues, but it seems to me that Kirilloff should be given some consideration for Minor League Player of the Year- no?

In all of baseball? I would think he'd be in the conversation, for sure. 

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,856 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 11:40 AM

I was impressed with Rooker. He was far more athletic than I thought he would be. For some reason, I was picturing him as a Daniel Palka/Tyler Austin-type, but he's much quicker than that. He flew in from third on a passed ball. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this as he's started 42 games in LF for the Lookouts this season, but it was interesting. Versatility can't hurt!

That is the exact comment I heard from Jonathan Mayo this spring training when he was in Ft. Myers. He definitely is a good athlete and not just a Palka type. Austin is a pretty good athlete too. 

• howieramone2 likes this

#25 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,856 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 11:40 AM

I'm guessing Lewis repeats the level to start next season, Kirilloff makes the jump to AA. Just a guess.

Id guess that would be the case. Zero reason to rush them anywhere, but Kirilloff appears ready for AA. 

• Danchat likes this

#26 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,550 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:14 PM

Great seeing Romero have a very good game.If he can get 6.2 innings in his last start, he would hit 150.0 innings for the season.Should put him on track to be solid for the Twins in '19 with no innings concerns.

This seems to be the consensus.

Then again, 8 hits in 5+ innings...you can expect to give up a few runs.Bigger picture, I think Romero is wearing down a bit.Game logs/numbers since about mid-July not particularly fantastic.For the year at Rochester, the K/9 pretty significantly down (6.7 K/9 in the last 10 starts)...missing fewer bats.Probably partly a function of working on lowering the walk rate (mildly successful) by throwing more balls over the plate early in the count.But I do think he's wearing down a bit similar to last year...at about 140 innings overall....basically, the number of innings Jake Odorizzi has already thrown.To me, it's too early to say whether innings/endurance are, or are not, going to be a concern for Romero in 2019.

#27 GP830

GP830

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 507 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:51 PM

How sad is that celebration video?

#28 raindog

raindog

• 386 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:59 PM

Absolutely nothing. He's in a slump in the late season of his first full professional season. Happens to them all... well, apparently except Alex Kirilloff... 

Nothing to do with him playing through a knee issue? Got a bad feeling about that.

#29 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,881 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:28 PM

How sad is that celebration video?

Might be an appropriate level of enthusiasm for what they've accomplished. A good outcome for the season, with more to come, right? They're splashing around the carbonated beverages, like they're supposed to.

But then, I'm not a huge fan of the often highly scripted celebrations. When teams string up the vinyl protection sheets and hand out goggles in anticipation of some champagne cheap sparkling wine being uncorked, it comes across as pretty calculated by now. This at least was more "go to it, guys, make a mess".

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fernando romero, michael davis, randy dobnak, alex kirilloff, andy wilkins