Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Getting the Twins Bullpen Right for 2019

trevor hildenberger addison reed trevor may matt magill tyler duffey
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:20 AM

Hildenberger's swinging strike rate has remained static, his walks have stayed in check, and his velocity hasn't dropped to an alarming degree (though it has dipped from where it was in the middle of the summer).

It should be noted that most pitcher's velocities tend to have a bell curve throughout the season. Unless there is a drastic decline, there will usually be some decline in the back half of the season. 

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#22 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:21 AM

Kinley pitched all of 3 innings and may have had the best stuff in the pen except forPressly. Last season's Rule 5 guy, Haley, is currently with the Red Sox. I recall one member said his 16 innings were the reason we crawled into the play-offs last season.

It's foolish not to look at an outside arm for $100,000 a shot.

#23 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 14,193 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:55 AM

I'd shut down Reed, there's just no way he's right.

Duffy has earned another run, as a reliever. Let's see if Hildenberger can work through it. Maybe he can adjust to the adjustments.

Have we given up on May as a starter? If so, he should be a nice piece for next season. health is his problem, not ability.

I do ascribe to the idea that relievers are fungible and the least consistent guys out there. there's very few that are worth paying big money on multi-year deals. So let's see what we can get out of the young guys.

Moya & Rogers look good from the left side. Reed was fine until he got hurt, and should be the good vet for next year. May looks like he's healthy (so far) and give you a quality righty as well. Hildenberger and Duffy might be the other 2 pieces. That's not a bad 'pen for next year, just not one that's got a lot of big names. the question is going to be depth when guys inevitably get nicked up or struggle for a stretch. but I see no need to keep a belisle around or muck about with a washed up vet.

yeah, I think a case can be made for shutting down a few people. Hildy's been off. I'd DL him. Same goes for Reed and Santana

• Danchat likes this

#24 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:06 PM

Good topic for discusion, Nick.And I agree it could be the key to whether or not the Twins compete next year.

Am so happy getting May back and looking good.Got to believe he can be one of three top rated late inning guys a successful team needs.Could Duffey be another?

One thing I didn't understand is why you would even mention Lewis Thorpe in this article?He is and will remain a starter, hopefully for a long time with the Twins.

#25 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:14 PM

Kinley pitched all of 3 innings and may have had the best stuff in the pen except forPressly.

So which is it -- were they smart for picking him up, or foolish for letting him go?

Last season's Rule 5 guy, Haley, is currently with the Red Sox. I recall one member said his 16 innings were the reason we crawled into the play-offs last season.

I guess the Pawtucket Red Sox can technically be called "the Red Sox." :) Seriously, Haley did make a mop-up cameo for Boston earlier but is not currently on their 25-man roster.

I must have missed the poster crediting our postseason berth to Haley. Usually you like to mock opinions on this forum -- is that really the one you want to embrace?

• USAFChief and Danchat like this

#26 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:13 PM

Mejia could also be a nice piece to the pen, whether we keep 2 or maybe 3 lefties. I say this because hes out of options, and if someone passes him for a rotation spot, (Gonsalves?), no way we pass him through waivers.

Agreed something doesn't seem right with Reed at all. Just.not the same pitcher hes been before. Really want Belisle gone, with all do respect, for someone to audition for next year.

Hesitant to make a big move and get burned but we have to look outside the organization, trade or FA, for another potential impact arm to go along with those listed above. THEN I will start to feel better about the potential of the 2019 pen.
  • ThejacKmp likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#27 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:57 PM

Using such small sample sizes and 3 1/3 and 6 2/3 innings doesn't really make your points very strong....do you really think May is going to continue to get a 21% swinging strike rate? I don't and I'd be willing to bet you on it.Meanwhile, Hader has done it over 58 innings..... Lots of guys have "dominated at an elite level" for 6 2/3 innings.

• mngopherguy likes this

#28 gman

gman

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 02:39 PM

I might jump down to Chattanooga to look at a few pitchers. Vasquez for one, then Stashak for another. I also wonder how Poppen would do.

#29 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 04:54 PM

Last night's horrible start saved the Twins $12 million.Again, looking at the predicted salaries for 2019, the Twins will have a LOT of money. As I said on a previous thread, after a RH hitting 3B, the next two FA targets should both be relievers.

#30 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:05 PM

I might jump down to Chattanooga to look at a few pitchers. Vasquez for one, then Stashak for another. I also wonder how Poppen would do.

Don’t forget about Tyler Wells. He is a very intriguing prospect, especially for a 15th round draft pick.
  • 108Stitches likes this

#31 tvagle

tvagle

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:16 PM

Visual Learner here...can we get a different picture on this thread or the Roundtable thread...I keep forgetting which one I want to post to

{note to moderators...I totally get it if there isn't another usable bullpen picture with someone who is still on the active roster}

Is it 2020 yet?

#32 gman

gman

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:28 PM

Don’t forget about Tyler Wells. He is a very intriguing prospect, especially for a 15th round draft pick.

I thought about Wells but wasn't sure he had enough double A time yet.

#33 108Stitches

108Stitches

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:59 PM

Lol I am not sure how he skipped Wells in that either. The fact is, if he were a top 5 rounder, he would be in the top ten prospects. 230+ pro innings and a 2.90 era, 10.2 k/9 and a 1.04 whip is better than almost all the top round guys in the last 3 drafts. Including the top college draft guys (because someone will point out the couple years difference in the low levels, which were right on average for each level, but anyway). I love underdogs like he and Vasquez. I loathe that they don't get the deserved credit for such a long time. God forbid the scouts were, dare I say it, wrong;)

#34 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:16 PM

Lol I am not sure how he skipped Wells in that either. The fact is, if he were a top 5 rounder, he would be in the top ten prospects. 230+ pro innings and a 2.90 era, 10.2 k/9 and a 1.04 whip is better than almost all the top round guys in the last 3 drafts. Including the top college draft guys (because someone will point out the couple years difference in the low levels, which were right on average for each level, but anyway). I love underdogs like he and Vasquez. I loathe that they don't get the deserved credit for such a long time. God forbid the scouts were, dare I say it, wrong;)

I'm not sure how much "credit" is due to guys for being good in the minor leagues. The point of the draft is to acquire major leaguers. Until someone makes a difference at the MLB level, it's not really possible for them to be lacking in "credit."

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#35 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:24 PM

You need a most of the time shutdown bullpen in the current major league structure.Twins are at least two arms short of being anywhere close to shutdown.If we wish to contend in 2019 this cannot be an area we can wait and see in.

#36 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:00 PM

I thought about Wells but wasn't sure he had enough double A time yet.

Fair enough...

#37 gman

gman

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 05:45 PM

Fair enough...

I'm also not n a big hurry to pull him from his role as a starter and move him to the bullpen. He may wind up there and be dominant, but I leave him as a starter as long as possible.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trevor hildenberger, addison reed, trevor may, matt magill, tyler duffey