Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: What To Do With Logan Forsythe?

logan forsythe brian dozier nick gordon
  • Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,824 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:04 PM

On July 31, the Twins traded popular second baseman Brian Dozier to the Los Angeles Dodgers in a deal that had been in the works for roughly 20 months. In return, the Twins acquired Double-A prospects Luke Raley and Devin Smeltzer. The Dodgers were willing to make the deal but insisted on the Twins taking back second baseman Logan Forsythe, and more important, his salary. Brian Dozier has been a big add for the Dodgers, but Forsythe has returned to his American League form with the Twins.With a 5-for-5 night on Thursday night at Target Field, Logan Forsythe is now 22-for-49, hitting .449/.500/.531 (1.031) with four doubles in his 14 games since joining the Twins. Obviously that is a very small sample. In his 70 games with the Dodgers this year, he had hit just .207/.270/.290 (.560) with ten doubles and two home runs.

It appears this will be a trade that could be beneficial to both teams. Brian Dozier has also played in 14 games since joining the Dodgers. He is hitting .255/.400/.532 (.932) with four doubles, three homers and 12 RBI (including a walkoff sacrifice fly in extra innings on Wednesday night in LA.

So what should the Twins do as it relates to Logan Forsythe? There really may be three options.

Should The Twins Try to Capitalize on Forsythe’s Hot Start by Looking to Trade Him?

There is just under two weeks before the August trade deadline. The Twins should try to trade him for something. While they aren’t going to find a GM in baseball willing to overlook his past two seasons because of two really good weeks, the Twins clearly want to continue accumulating talent for the future. They won’t get anything resembling a blue-chip prospect for five weeks of Forsythe, but they might find a suitor remaining for the versatile infielder.

Should The Twins Try to Sign Forsythe Right Now to a Contract for 2018?

The Twins could decide that Nick Gordon needs more time in AAA next year to continue his development. They may determine that they would like to have a one year stop gap, like Forsythe, to play second base until Gordon is deemed ready. Again, based on his struggles over the last couple of seasons in Los Angeles, and his injuries the last couple of years, he likely is a guy who would get a one-year deal in the neighborhood of $2 million. Derek Falvey and Thad Levine could reach out to Forsythe right now and make him that offer. There would appear to be little reason for Forsythe to accept it, though he could just as easily struggle over the next two or three weeks.

Should The Twins Sit Back and Let It Play Out?

Or they could just let it play out. Let Forsythe work to continue gain value the rest of the season as he looks to become a free agent at season’s end. From the Twins perspective, they certainly can see his value, especially on a one year, stop gap type of deal. No matter how strong Forsythe finishes the season, his next contract likely will remain a one-year deal at less than $3-4 million. The financial risk of waiting isn’t huge. The risk of him going to one of the other 29 teams if he becomes a free agent might be a little bigger.

Truthfully, there isn’t a wrong (or bad) answer in that group. Signing him to a one-year, low-cost deal makes a lot of sense. Forsythe is and has always been a very professional hitter. It’s great to see him playing like he did during much of his time in Tampa. So if the Twins can add another prospect with a chance, that’s not a bad deal for a three week rental. Or the Twins can just let him keep playing and see what happens.

Following the game, in an interview with FSN's Audra Martin, Forsythe said (regarding his 5-for-5 night), "Sometimes you get lucky."

Maybe in this case, the Twins got a little bit lucky.

Is there a best option in your opinion? Share your thoughts below.

Click here to view the article
  • ashbury, glunn and howieramone2 like this

#2 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:06 PM

I hope the Twins can find a way to trade him and get a decent lottery ticket in return.

• Thrylos, gagu, nclahammer and 3 others like this

#3 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:21 PM

Trade him for the best the market will offer and play Adrianza.
  • ChrisKnutson, nclahammer, wsnydes and 2 others like this

#4 Krusington

Krusington

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:21 PM

I'll be the first person to say I have so far been proved very wrong when it comes to Forsythe. As you mentioned, very small sample size but so far so extremely good for the Twins. I don't think they'd get anything useful back in a trade and if they did get anything, the prospect would probably be a few years from the bigs. I honestly think trying to sign him to a very affordable one year deal makes sense. He plays until Gordon is ready. The Twins also have Arraez who has been performing relatively well at AA and both could get a chance next season but aren't quite there yet.

Either way, trading an expiring contract in Dozier, getting back Raley/Smeltzer and an upgrade at 2B (so far) is looking to be one of the best moves of the deadline. Think about it, in almost every aspect (fielding?) he's performed better than Dozier, you also have a top 20 prospect in Raley, and a solid pitching prospect in Smeltzer... I'll take a trade like that 100% of the time.

• birdwatcher, Blake, gil4 and 12 others like this

#5 nater79a

nater79a

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:36 PM

I'd hang on to Forsythe till the end of the end of the year and not trade him.Evaluate how he does the remainder of this season and, more importantly, evaluate how you think Gordon fits in for 2019 and beyond.Then if a second base bridge is needed you can circle back to Logan and see if a short term deal can be worked out at a decent price.

• LA VIkes Fan and Minny505 like this

#6 rghrbek

rghrbek

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:52 PM

Option 2 should not be an option based off 2 weeks.  Option 1 or 3 are fine with me.

There is no way I want the Twins to bring him back as a starter.  It's most likely Gordon will not be ready by next year at the start, so I don't mind the idea of brining someone in for a year, just not LoFo.

#7 ND-Fan

ND-Fan

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:27 PM

My first opinion was to trade him and his recent run has been help to the Twins but I would like to see Gordon called up in September see if he could handle big league pitching. So I am back to trading him because I just don't see he has future here with Minnesota and if he does it means were in rebuilding phase again. 

• nclahammer and caninatl04 like this

#8 MikeW

MikeW

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:40 PM

We have no one ready at 2B considering Gordon isn’t hitting well and makes a lot of errors. The best hope for middle infield is Royce Lewis who isn’t going to be ready for a while.

If he continues to hit, sign him for the ‘19 season.
  • ashbury, VATwinsFan, LA VIkes Fan and 7 others like this

#9 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,946 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:52 PM

Unless the Twins plan to bring up Gordon for a cuppa, I'd keep Logan Forsythe for the remainder. He's a skilled batsman, but looks like strictly an arm hitter that flips his wrists for singles, not getting his hips involved in the swing. As a fielder he appears to be better 2B than Dozier was. Quicker, stronger arm, good on the double play. If he can play other infield positions, cool, but there's no reason to switch him. 

No idea what the Twins FO will do, but I know what I would do: Trade him in the off season, then bring up Gordon, who will look a lot like Logan Forsythe, but younger and with more upside. Gordon won't hit for Forsythe's current average, but neither will Forsythe. 

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#10 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:57 PM

You're not going to get anything great for him. How many lottery tickets do we need? I would rather evaluate if he's a fall-back option for 2019. He certainly loves hitting at Target Field for some reason.

• LA VIkes Fan likes this

#11 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 733 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:11 AM

You're not going to get anything great for him. How many lottery tickets do we need? I would rather evaluate if he's a fall-back option for 2019. He certainly loves hitting at Target Field for some reason.

#12 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:17 AM

he should run for governor.

• scottz, Circus Boy, Vanimal46 and 2 others like this

#13 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 02:08 AM

Trade him. That is the only option. I laugh at any notion of keeping him in 2019. Anyone can get hot for a few weeks.

• jud6312 likes this

#14 twins_89

twins_89

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 03:19 AM

If a deal for a real prospect comes along take it, otherwise keep him. The Twins don't have anybody at AAA or AA that stands out as ready to take over at 2B, so I wouldn't trade him just to add a borderline C level prospect.

• birdwatcher, LA VIkes Fan, howieramone2 and 1 other like this

#15 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 04:34 AM

Isn’t it obvious? Trade him to the Rays. For whom? He’s on first base, that’s Hu.
  • Kevin, gocgo, Dave The Dastardly and 2 others like this

#16 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:56 AM

I'd try to trade him first and if there are no takers just let it ride out this season. There's virtually no way I re-sign him unless it's a team friendly deal with the understanding that I'm bringing in a younger guy to start in front of him.

While probably unlikely, my hope is that Gordon is able to force his way north after ST.  

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#17 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:14 AM

As long as its just a one year contract, I'd be ok with signing him. He appears to be the type of 'professional' hitter that the Twins like (kind of like Grossman) and Gordon doesn't look like he's ready.

• howieramone2 likes this

#18 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:44 AM

I'm happy Logan Forsythe is playing well. And that's about it. He's a warm, veteran body who can play 2nd base. He is hitting well in a low-pressure situation with nothing to lose. I am glad to see it.

What to do with him? I think the Twins will do what they planned all along: have Logan Forsythe fill in at 2nd base until the season is over.

• Mike Sixel, scottz and LA VIkes Fan like this

#19 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:50 AM

I see him as their second option for second base next year.The first is resigning Escobar.Let his agent know they have interest and come back to him if Mighty Mouse signs elsewhere.

• wavedog likes this

#20 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:52 AM

Let's see what Gordon looks like. We have time left in this season and nothing better to do then test our minor league players. If Gordon fails Forsythe is fine for a one year.
  • jud6312 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: logan forsythe, brian dozier, nick gordon