Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (8/15): Pitching Paves the Way

minnesota twins brusdar graterol lewis thorpe alex kirilloff
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 JLease

JLease

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:52 AM

Ok, Kiriloff with another run of the mill night going 4-4. Would love to see him in the Arizona Fall League and he really should be starting the 2019 season in Chattanooga. 

I think both things are pretty much a lock. Only thing that will keep him out of the AFL is the team deciding he needs a break after playing a full season coming off a significant injury. And he's definitely not going back to Ft. Myers after the way he's torn the cover off the ball. Next year will be a good test for him, facing pitchers that should have a more refined approach.

• gagu and caninatl04 like this

#22 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:15 AM

Id like Kirilloff to stay at FM and play some 1B. As he moves up, he will need versatility because Rooker isn't going away and I am not thrilled about dumping Kepler.

If Kirilloff and Rooker stay hot next year it will be interesting to see what happens next year.

Not a bad problem to have...

Sometimes I wish we were an NL team. They do such a good job of having guys who can play multiple positions. Look at the Cubs. Bryant can play OF and 3B, Baez plays all three IF positions, Bote plays 2B and 3B, La Stella plays 2B and 3B, etc. The Twins never seem to do that. Rosario's cameo shows he's probably capable of playing a bit of IF, it would be nice to see the Twins pursue that more assiduously in the minors

• ashburyjohn and Loosey like this

#23 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:46 PM

Interesting fun with numbers comparison. In their MiLB careers:

Pitcher A (23 years old):377.0 IP, 2.94 ERA, 2.8 BB/9IP, 8.3 K/9IP, 1.17 WHIP

Pitcher B (22 years old): 313.0IP, 3.19 ERA, 3.0 BB/9IP, 10.8 K/9IP, 1.21 WHIP

Pitcher C (24 years old): 591.2 IP, 2.77 ERA, 2.5 BB/9IP, 9.6 K/9IP, 1.08 WHIP

Pitcher D (24 years old): 599.0 IP, 2.46 ERA, 3.6 BB/9IP, 9.5 K/9IP, 1.10 WHIP

Pitcher C is Jose Berrios and pitcher A is Fernando Romero.

Stephen Gonsalves is pitcher D.

Lewis Thorpe is pitcher B.

There's a nice future here in my opinion, and I'd probably project them as a rotation like this:

-Staff Ace: Jose Berrios

-#2 Starter: Lewis Thorpe

-#3 Starter: Fernando Romero

-#4 Starter: Stephen Gonsalves

And when you consider that Thorpe lost two full years of development, his future is very bright!

• Steve Lein likes this

#24 twinstalker

twinstalker

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 03:55 PM

I highly doubt Romero is going to be a #2 starter in the big leagues. He's an Andrew Miller-like reliever waiting to happen, and I wouldn't even mess around with the starter thing. He could be dominant for the next six years in that role prior to free agency. Romero lacks fastball command (always has) and certainly lacks an MLB changeup. He certainly needs to improve command (possible) for whatever role, but we do not need to waste years trying to get him to develop a changeup only to figure out it's never going to get there. High leverage the hell out of him in late innings.

• caninatl04 likes this

#25 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:07 PM

"Ben Rortvedt drove in Alex Kirilloff".

Now there's a sentence I'd like to read for the next ten years!

• ashburyjohn likes this

#26 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:09 PM

Okay, here's my take on the playoff possibilities of all the Twins affiliates.Correct me if I'm wrong on anything...

First, the top two affiliates- Rochester and Chattanooga - appear to be out of luck for a post-season appearance this year.

In High-A,the Miracle pulled to within a half game of the FSL South second half leaders Charlotte Stone Crabs with a win this evening.Can take over 1st place with a win tomorrow (Thursday).

In Low-A, the Kernels remain in a virtual first place tie with the Peoria Chiefs after the suspended game.

Correction:

Quad Cities and Peoria qualified for the MWL West playoffs in the first half.The Kernels currently lead the Beloit Snappers by 2 games, the Kane County Cougars by 4 games and Wisconsin Timber Rattlers by 4.5 games.The top two teams of these four will make the playoffs for the second half.

In Appy Rookie Ball, the Elizabethton Twins are 5.5 games clear of the third place Bristol Pirates for a playoff spot.The Twins and 2nd place Kingsport Mets (2.5 GB) would make the playoffs if the season ended today.

The GCL Twins find themselves 1 game back of the GCL Red Sox for the GCL South title.

Sound about right?

So, might we expect all 15 players who are on the 40 man but not currently on the 25 man MLB roster to be called up by September 8th?

#27 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,210 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:52 PM

This Thorpe guy looks like he could be something special. I'm impressed with his numbers at AA, especially the number of strikeouts he's gotten. At his age and level of experience, I think he'll need plenty of seasoning in AAA. You could also say that about a lot of other Twins starters who are on the fringe.

I'm going to repost my list of 2019 Twins starters in the current pipeline ranked by arbitrary starter "numbers".

#1: None

#2: Berrios, Romero

#3: Gibson (up from #4), Thorpe (new)

#4: Odorizzi, Littell, Pineda, Gonsalves (down from #3),

#5: Mejia, Stewart (new)

AAAA: Slegers, others

I really like the depth here. I'm so very glad we can be done with the likes of P. J. Walters, Cole DeVries, Adam Wilk, and Tim Melville. 

There's a lot of talent that could use MLB auditions like Gonsalves, Littell, Romero, and Mejia's out of options next year. I don't feel like all of these guys are going to get their chances... perhaps we could see one or two packaged in a trade along with other prospects over the offseason? 

Pineda is at worst a 3.

• gagu likes this

I was recently advised by a representative of the board's female caucas, that the term panties in a bundle is not acceptable. Until further notification, please use the term boxer shorts in a bundle. Fact is stranger than fiction.

#28 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,210 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:58 PM

I highly doubt Romero is going to be a #2 starter in the big leagues. He's an Andrew Miller-like reliever waiting to happen, and I wouldn't even mess around with the starter thing. He could be dominant for the next six years in that role prior to free agency. Romero lacks fastball command (always has) and certainly lacks an MLB changeup. He certainly needs to improve command (possible) for whatever role, but we do not need to waste years trying to get him to develop a changeup only to figure out it's never going to get there. High leverage the hell out of him in late innings.

Nope, he's a starting pitcher until he isn't.

I was recently advised by a representative of the board's female caucas, that the term panties in a bundle is not acceptable. Until further notification, please use the term boxer shorts in a bundle. Fact is stranger than fiction.

#29 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,885 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:10 PM

Pineda is at worst a 3.

I certainly don't see that in his stats from 2015-17 (4.56 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, 9.6 H/9, 1.4 HR/9) plus he's also coming off of Tommy John surgery, which can take a full year after rehab to gain top form. I think he's a 3 at best.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, brusdar graterol, lewis thorpe, alex kirilloff